Drilled Air Box

abouc

I removed my tank today for the first time to replace one of the intake sleeves (previous owner(s) only replaced 3 of 4?!). Once the tank was off, I noticed that one of the previous owners drilled six 1 inch holes in the air box. The bike is using a K&N filter which is nearly impossible to see through. Cleaning that is on my list of things to do today along with new intake sleeve.

What could the negative (or positive) effects of drilling the airbox be? Thanks.

The Lambda probe, should you have one, says that removing the snorkels reduces airflow. Or, in other words, reduces power output. Holes in the airbox cover on my bike had no influence at all, besides that the box was onerously loud.

Basically it depends on your acception of the bike. If you find it better pulling or performing with those modifications then they are good for you and the bike. Otherwise go back to OEM configuration. It's not a bad one either.

hubert

The Lambda probe, should you have one, says that removing the snorkels reduces airflow. Or, in other words, reduces power output. Holes in the airbox cover on my bike had no influence at all, besides that the box was onerously loud.

Basically it depends on your acception of the bike. If you find it better pulling or performing with those modifications then they are good for you and the bike. Otherwise go back to OEM configuration. It's not a bad one either.

hubert

There are a bunch of threads on it...I went a different route and installed K&N pods. I love them. Do they make more HP? I have no idea. It SOUNDS like it does and as sound is an important part of the motorcycling experience, then yes, it's a very good mod.

Thanks for the replies. The general consensus seems to be that there is no real negative effect.

The airbox had pools of oil in the bottom. More on the left than the right. This matches what I saw in the throttle body also. Probably someone got carried away with the filter oil?

The pods are cool, and whole lot easier than removing the fuel tank for cleaning. I worry that pods would be a bad choice for me since I frequently ride in the rain. Did you have to do anything to your fueling maps after installing pods?

Keep an eye on the oil accumulation in the airbox, a little on the left is normal, too much indicates overfilling of the crankcase or excessive blow-by via the rings. The crank vent enters the airbox on the left side so you can expect a bit there. Pods do require a re-map as this leans things out considerably, if you ride in the rain this is not the way to go as the mill just becomes a waterpump. Stock airboxes work and work well, they are engineered to produce the most power given the legal requirements (noise, particulate) and are key when considering the exhaust in use. If you pod and free flow exhaust the machine you do shift more volume thru the process making more power but the benefit is realized only in a relatively small range of rpm. Upper RPM is impressive, but rideability for the street is drastically reduced. Last a K&N is designed to work "dirty" do a plug reading to check fuel to air. These bikes came lean initially, ensure your plugs are brown, not white, black or clean.

Thanks for the replies. The general consensus seems to be that there is no real negative effect.

The airbox had pools of oil in the bottom. More on the left than the right. This matches what I saw in the throttle body also. Probably someone got carried away with the filter oil?

The pods are cool, and whole lot easier than removing the fuel tank for cleaning. I worry that pods would be a bad choice for me since I frequently ride in the rain. Did you have to do anything to your fueling maps after installing pods?

Riding much in the rain probably isn't a great idea. They WILL get wet. As fair as a lean issue is concerned; depends on the bike. I don't have one, but others have had struggles. If you have a PCIII it's a non-issue for the mid and upper ranges.

YRMV...

The pods do look cool IMHO but certainly narrow down the power band.

If you decide to go that way get the ones with a slight angle, I bought straight ones.

The large cable loom you can see has since been re-routed up under the seat with the excess

where the air box used to be. This was done without disconnecting anything.

CIMG1794small.jpg

As I said they do narrow down the power band, I have since modified the arrangement by extending

the pods using the original air box rubber arrangement like a velocity stack, The pods slipped inside

and I secured them with a couple of self tappers. That seemed to restore the power band to where it was.

CIMG2025small.jpg

I rode in the rain a lot last year, when I changed the oil this season I found a small pocket of

emulsified oil in the sump, I don't know if having the pods caused that.

Cheers

Roy

The pods do look cool IMHO but certainly narrow down the power band.

If you decide to go that way get the ones with a slight angle, I bought straight ones.

The large cable loom you can see has since been re-routed up under the seat with the excess

where the air box used to be. This was done without disconnecting anything.

CIMG1794small.jpg

As I said they do narrow down the power band, I have since modified the arrangement by extending

the pods using the original air box rubber arrangement like a velocity stack, The pods slipped inside

and I secured them with a couple of self tappers. That seemed to restore the power band to where it was.

CIMG2025small.jpg

I rode in the rain a lot last year, when I changed the oil this season I found a small pocket of

emulsified oil in the sump, I don't know if having the pods caused that.

Cheers

Roy

Where did you end up mounting the sensor that's in the airbox?

You can mount, tie, attach it to anything. I wouldn't let it just hang. I would place it where direct air current would not blow across it or dirt could accumulate on it.

First of all I just ty-wraped it under the tank, seemed to be OK but after some thought I extended it out

into the fresh air. I cut the sensor off the plug and soldered a couple of feet of wire between it and the plug.

This avoided having to open the loom.

Air Temp Sensor.jpg

Air Temp Sensor2.jpg

I just ty-wraped it to one of the frame tubes

I extended the breather hose down by the gear change and finished it off with a crankcase breather from K&N.

Roy

First of all I just ty-wraped it under the tank, seemed to be OK but after some thought I extended it out

into the fresh air. I cut the sensor off the plug and soldered a couple of feet of wire between it and the plug.

This avoided having to open the loom.

Air Temp Sensor.jpg

Air Temp Sensor2.jpg

I just ty-wraped it to one of the frame tubes

I extended the breather hose down by the gear change and finished it off with a crankcase breather from K&N.

Roy

Thank you.

I like the pods as well but the ones with the metal intake horns.

Then I saw on a Japanese site a battery tray for fitting up under the tank when removing the intake box.

That'd work in well for further plans I have if I keep this bike.

Thank you.

I like the pods as well but the ones with the metal intake horns.

Then I saw on a Japanese site a battery tray for fitting up under the tank when removing the intake box.

That's a good idea, I thought I would put a box under there for my excess tools, air compressor etc

but it makes more sense to put the battery there and have a toolbox where the battery now resides.

That'd work in well for further plans I have if I KEEP this bike?

THAT'D WORK IN WELL FOR FURTHER PLANS I HAVE IF I KEEP THIS BIKE ????????????

Where is the lightning bolt key on this keboard ?

We're all addicted. There is NO cure!

[

I cut a hole in the end of the RH K&N filter pod, and attached it there, where it senses the temp of the intake air