Drilled Air Box

abouc

[

Where did you end up mounting the sensor that's in the airbox?

I cut a hole in the end of the RH K&N filter pod, and attached it there, where it senses the temp of the intake air

My only concern doing that while using K&N's is the oil.

I can't imagine it causing a huge problem but, being 1/2 Italian myself, I don't trust one damn thing about these motorcycles! ;)

That'd work in well for further plans I have if I keep this bike.

That'd work in well for further plans I have if I KEEP this bike?

THAT'D WORK IN WELL FOR FURTHER PLANS I HAVE IF I KEEP THIS BIKE ????????????

Where is the lightning bolt key on this keyboard ?

We're all addicted. There is NO cure!

I know, I know.

Hell of a thing to say, eh? :glare:

But as time goes on I just can't overlook certain ergonomic realities. :oldgit:

There ar ergonomic realities about 21 yr. old girls too.

Think I can get my doctor to prescribe 2 a day? :not:

Don't think Medicare will cover it though. :D

You need to see Dr. Feelgood for that prescription. :lol: As for Medicare, just how good is your medicare supplement? :huh2::rolleyes:

It's cool to read about just how far people take thier mods. For those of you relocating sensors and modifying intakes, do you have your own diagnostic tools to hook into the computer port. Or are you going on "seat of the pants" dyno for calibration?

For the forseeable future about the only thing I'd like to do is get the bike as close to proper stock tune as possible. There are several niggles to sort yet before it is back into excellent running condition. Maybe next year a Stucchi or Mistral crossover will be put on to rid the bike of that 4,000 rpm flat spot.

It's cool to read about just how far people take thier mods. For those of you relocating sensors and modifying intakes, do you have your own diagnostic tools to hook into the computer port. Or are you going on "seat of the pants" dyno for calibration?

For the forseeable future about the only thing I'd like to do is get the bike as close to proper stock tune as possible. There are several niggles to sort yet before it is back into excellent running condition. Maybe next year a Stucchi or Mistral crossover will be put on to rid the bike of that 4,000 rpm flat spot.

Pod filters will make it lean if you are looking for stock tune and stock exhaust. It will get worse with open mufflers or aftermarket crossover unless you take the PC3 or other route for adding fuel.

I feel pod filters are too noisy but some people don't mind it.

Before you order them, disconnect the inlet tubes to the throttle bodies and go for a quick ride down the street and back with open throttle bodies. You'll get a feel for the noise level.

I'm not a big fan of K&N. The stock paper filter will flow more air than you can use and do a better job of filtering.

:2c:

Pod filters will make it lean if you are looking for stock tune and stock exhaust. It will get worse with open mufflers or aftermarket crossover unless you take the PC3 or other route for adding fuel.

Before you order them, disconnect the inlet tubes to the throttle bodies and go for a quick ride down the street and back with open throttle bodies. You'll get a feel for the noise level.

I'm not a big fan of K&N. The stock paper filter will flow more air than you can use and do a better job of filtering.

2c.gif

Amen on the K&N. You must be a mechanic?

I run the K&N's on mine, with the stock airbox tubes fixed between the throttle bodies and the filters to maintain the intake track length. I also have the air temp sensor thingy fixed in the end of the right filter. It runs fine. But it would be a lie to say that it runs better than it did with the air box. I run the pod filters purely for the look and sound. I like the clean appearance and the loud intake honk. K&N's are never going to give you as much protection as a paper filter, especially of you don't keep them clean and oiled. This is pretty well documented. But, I have multiple bikes and a few cars as well, so making my Tenni's engine last as absolutley long as possible isn't really a priority-if it needs a rebuild 10,000 miles earlier than it might have had I kept the paper filter I'm okay with it. Just know the trade-offs involved with any modification before you jump in.

2c.gif

Amen on the K&N. You must be a mechanic?

Yes sir.

I have found, the more vocal I am about K&N, the more I offend people. GM will cancel powertrain warranty on their use. They are a MAF sensor's worst enemy! What good is it to wash a filter and get the dirt particles on both sides of the filter, oil it and then install it ?

I prefer my paper element any day and change it frequently.

I have found, the more vocal I am about K&N, the more I offend people. GM will cancel powertrain warranty on their use. They are a MAF sensor's worst enemy! What good is it to wash a filter and get the dirt particles on both sides of the filter, oil it and then install it ?

I prefer my paper element any day and change it frequently.

I agree with you for the most part. They're highly overrated and there's lots of testing showing they don't filter as well as paper, particularly if you don't keep them clean and oiled which I think most people don't. When someone makes a paper pod filter I'll swap. Till then I like the look of the pods and just clean and oil them alot. I don't use them in my cars mostly because they're out of sight hidden in the air box, and I will forget to check them in there. At least with the pods, I can see them readily and it's easier to keep them up to snuff.

Like Felix420 I have the K&N pods because they look much better and without the air box you can see the rear suspension. As for filtering perhaps they don't work as well but then I don't ride on dusty roads. Back in the 60s none of the Brit bikes even had a filter. Like felix I used the original rubber hoses to keep the intake length correct, this fixed the flat spot.

No I don't have a dyno but I do have MyECU so I can hook my laptop up and twiddle with the map. I am currently running a map developed by Raz.

Using a gizmo I cobbled together I have the ability to offset my TPS voltage on the fly, this in theory will cause the mixture to change. I plan on adding a temperature sensor to the exhaust to see what temperature effect changing the mix has.