Coppa Italia Owners

fraser61

I wrote in last year asking if anyone had engine performance issues as I thought my engine ran rough between up to 3,000rpm. It has the factory race ECU, Titanium cans and the emission control sytem had been removed by the previous owner.

Since then it's been into MPH in Houston twice to see if they could smooth her out, but with limited success, it's a Guzzi thing I'm told witht his model.

Basically when progressing through the gears up to 3,000rpm it lacks smoothness, not at all happy, feels like it's missing or the fuelling isn't right and sometimes I get a "pop" from the exhausts.

I've been told that I should keep it around 3,500-4,000rpm to prevent this while using in built up areas, although that would mean keeping it in the low gears, which just doesn't seem consistent for a bike designed to be a street bike, even with the fatory mods.

I've owned many bikes and this is the first time I've come across this type of thing when the engine is warmed up, I'm told is adjusted correctly and has only covered 6,000 miles.

Do any other owners have this same issue, is it normal that it dislikes low revs so much?

Any insight greatly appreciated

Thanks

Fraser

Hey? Just what the heck are you wanting? You say, 'when progressing through the gears up to 3,000rpm' - just how low do you expect to go with your revs? You've got the factory race ECU - whaddya expect man?

The issue has several factors as I understand it. The narrow included angle of the closely spaced valves hampers "slower" air smooth movement to some degree. The 90 degree V configuration (a naturally vibe quelling layout in engine design in general), plus the soothing effect of putting that V in sideways to the frame lends it towards higher revs. I basically never go back under 3,000 rpm once that ceiling is passed. I do commute, so I keep it in 1st gear and roll along at 5000 where I'm just poking along in a line of traffic, or if you are smoothly going slow, I will sometimes put it in second gear, and roll at just above a happy idle. I agree with ScuRoo, with these motors, you just don't lolly gag around in those lower RPM's, blow through the gear or wind it up a bit more when needed, These will happily spin at 6,000 rpm ALL DAY LONG.

When I got used to mine after I first bought it, I spent a day ride going over 4,500 rpm and no lower, and alot of it above 6,000. During that ride, I was shown the essence of the Guzzi god, and it was good. As they say, the hook was set, and damn deep, too. :notworthy::mg::wub::rasta:

The issue has several factors as I understand it. The narrow included angle of the closely spaced valves hampers "slower" air smooth movement to some degree. The 90 degree V configuration (a naturally vibe quelling layout in engine design in general), plus the soothing effect of putting that V in sideways to the frame lends it towards higher revs. I basically never go back under 3,000 rpm once that ceiling is passed. I do commute, so I keep it in 1st gear and roll along at 5000 where I'm just poking along in a line of traffic, or if you are smoothly going slow, I will sometimes put it in second gear, and roll at just above a happy idle. I agree with ScuRoo, with these motors, you just don't lolly gag around in those lower RPM's, blow through the gear or wind it up a bit more when needed, These will happily spin at 6,000 rpm ALL DAY LONG.

When I got used to mine after I first bought it, I spent a day ride going over 4,500 rpm and no lower, and alot of it above 6,000. During that ride, I was shown the essence of the Guzzi god, and it was good. As they say, the hook was set, and damn deep, too. :notworthy::mg::wub::rasta:

Thanks for taking the time to explain your take on things, appreciate it.

Fraser

Hey? Just what the heck are you wanting? You say, 'when progressing through the gears up to 3,000rpm' - just how low do you expect to go with your revs? You've got the factory race ECU - whaddya expect man?

I also ride a 1000cc Kawasaki and can roll the throttle on in top gear from 2,000rpm without any "indifference", so I wanted an insight into the experiences of others to validate what I'd been told.

Fraser

FWIW, I have Roper's x scura. We don't know what has been done to it, but it is the fastest Guzzi I've ever ridden. I'll guarantee it will smoke my Centauro. It doesn't have any low rpm fueling issues. Feels like a Harley right off idle.. :grin::huh2:

:stupid: Keep the revs high, the engine just doesnt like low revs, treat it like a 2 stroke :drink:

I also ride a 1000cc Kawasaki and can roll the throttle on in top gear from 2,000rpm without any "indifference", so I wanted an insight into the experiences of others to validate what I'd been told.

Fraser

I can do thay with my Scura R too. Had some popping +-3000 when i bought it last year, but after a good balancing/tuning during the winterstorage it pulls from 2000 without problems. It feels strong on low revs, but I usually stay 3000 and up.

If it feels strong on low revs, why is it still bad?

Mine is all standard. Would like more noise, but otherwise very satisfied.

I wrote in last year asking if anyone had engine performance issues as I thought my engine ran rough between up to 3,000rpm. It has the factory race ECU, Titanium cans and the emission control sytem had been removed by the previous owner.

Since then it's been into MPH in Houston twice to see if they could smooth her out, but with limited success, it's a Guzzi thing I'm told witht his model.

Basically when progressing through the gears up to 3,000rpm it lacks smoothness, not at all happy, feels like it's missing or the fuelling isn't right and sometimes I get a "pop" from the exhausts.

I've been told that I should keep it around 3,500-4,000rpm to prevent this while using in built up areas, although that would mean keeping it in the low gears, which just doesn't seem consistent for a bike designed to be a street bike, even with the fatory mods.

I've owned many bikes and this is the first time I've come across this type of thing when the engine is warmed up, I'm told is adjusted correctly and has only covered 6,000 miles.

Do any other owners have this same issue, is it normal that it dislikes low revs so much?

Thanks

Fraser

Fraser-

I've got the same bike, with the same equipment (and a few other mods), but even when I had it set up identically to yours, it didn't exhibit the symptoms (lack of smoothness and popping) you describe. That said, I'll echo what everyone else has said here - these engines weren't made to lug at 2200-3200 RPM. They are happiest in the 3800-6000 range. I rarely ride mine at fewer revs than 3500.

:thumbsup:

Thanks

Fraser

Fraser-

I've got the same bike, with the same equipment (and a few other mods), but even when I had it set up identically to yours, it didn't exhibit the symptoms (lack of smoothness and popping) you describe. That said, I'll echo what everyone else has said here - these engines weren't made to lug at 2200-3200 RPM. They are happiest in the 3800-6000 range. I rarely ride mine at fewer revs than 3500.

:thumbsup:

Well I took y'alls advice and on the way to work today kept the revs up by holding a low than normal gear when riding through the subdivision area and what a difference in my perception of how it drives, I'm back as an admirer, particularly when I unleash it on the freeway. :D:D:mg:

So thanks one and all for putting me right with the Gods of MG.

Fraser