Spokes for my Tenni?

felix42o

So I got this Cali rear wheel and front hub off fleabay for cheap. Sorry for the bad mobile phone pic, but what do you all think? Should I consider having these laced up to a proper rim and switch to spokes? I kinda like it, I think.

tenni.jpg

So I got this Cali rear wheel and front hub off fleabay for cheap. Sorry for the bad mobile phone pic, but what do you all think? Should I consider having these laced up to a proper rim and switch to spokes? I kinda like it, I think.

:thumbsup:

Do you have the front mounted also? How much is cheap? If you can get a total cost together let us know... I have the Alpina setup on mine. It's tolerable ! Alpina USA has a aluminum wheel (rim) that's 1/2 anodized and 1/2 standard... ooooohh !

The front is just the hub. Both are used and would need proper rims and spokes. I think I paid around $40 for the front hub and $80 or $100 for the back wheel, but I bought them at seperate times between many expensive airhead parts and am not positive. Not much, though. There is the issue of the rear caliper mounts being different, and if I used the same guys (Woody's Wheels) I used for the R90/6 I'm building it'd be around $300-400 to get a proper rim laced up on the hubs. I was just going to powder coat the hubs black I think with my cheapo powder coat kit.

Regarding the use of a Cali hub, has anyone on here done so? It looks like I'd have to figure out the rear caliper mounting, as at first glance I think the disc is positioned differently. Seem like the easiest option would be a rear bracket from a Jackal or sumthin, but who knows. This, like many other of my attempts at making stuff work to save money, could end up being more expensive than just buying a set from Alpina. :rolleyes:

' Always a sucker for spoke wheels. I have a 2003 Cali EV - love the wheels but the factory must have decided to go cheap on the chrome that year to pay for the better engine paint... How do you get flaking chrome off an alloy rim? It looks bloody awful and slices up your fingers when you're trying to clean the wheels...

Just getting off the subject of wheels for a moment - what are your footrests from? They don't look standard...

I also have a 2001 Sport with a Magni fairing (and lowered clip-ons). I love the fairing but my expanding girth and long legs don't agree. I'd rather experiment with re-arranging the pegs lower and slightly rearward, than raising the bars and losing that beautiful fairing...

Cheers,

GL

Regarding the use of a Cali hub, has anyone on here done so? It looks like I'd have to figure out the rear caliper mounting, as at first glance I think the disc is positioned differently. Seem like the easiest option would be a rear bracket from a Jackal or sumthin, but who knows. This, like many other of my attempts at making stuff work to save money, could end up being more expensive than just buying a set from Alpina. rolleyes.gif

Felix, I don't know if you can buy the Alpina set-up here in the U.S. or not. If you get them from Rossopuro expect to pay $3600.00 with fr. & import duties...

I would Google & check on the Alpina if you bail on this idea. There are plenty of aluminum spoke vendors selling V11 wheels too.

Yeah I looked at the alpinas via rossopuro...not cheap. It looks like the big issue will be the rear caliper mount. I discovered that, when mixing bike parts, "close enough" can still cost considerable money to get "just right". I just got done figuring out how to keep spokes on my BMW while swapping in a K100RS front end for the dual discs on my R90/6, and it involved more than a few eras of German technology to get it right. Anyhow, once I get done making baby furniture and putting my airhead back together, I'll press on the spokes for the Tenni. Does anyone know if the caliper mount issue can be solved by a particular models bracket (Cali, Jackal,etc)?

The Cali wheel has the rear disc mounted further outboard than the V11's. Of course it's not a show stopper in the end, but it would be cool if there was an existing setup that might work. Also, I'm not real keen on cutting up the stock V11 bit just yet!

So I took another look at that wheel with a tape measure this afternoon, and it looks like both wheels are 5 inches (+/-) from bevel side to rotor mount. I wonder now if I was just making the whole thing up about the caliper spacing? I'll try to mount it up and take another look this week. If it's good, then all I'd be looking at is the cost of the new rims and spokes, and my efforts to clean and powder coat the hubs. That'd be most excellent!

Do a mock assembly and loka t the caliper/pad position with the rotor. If they are centered up, you are good to go. If you have to move the caliper out you can use a good SAE flat washer on both mouning bolts to shim outward.