IAW15M K-Line

68C

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me which is the K-line on the IAW15M ecu? I am playing around with an old VW OBDII usb cable, I know which pins are the K and L lines on the large OBDII plug but don't know which ones are which on the three pin diagnostic socket fitted to the bike.

I have a Rosso Corsa, first registered in 2004 although the frame number suggests it may have been made in 2003.

I am looking at the freeware TuneECU software, and am considering trying the Aprillia Falco software as I believe they have a similar ecu.

Thanks, any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks HaydnR, especially for the warning.

I followed the ebay link, have placed an order straight away. £8-90 seems a good price, I was wondering where to get the 3pin plug, had visions of trawling scrap yards. Also the software suggestion sounds a better bet than my idea, I have since found out that the Aprilia probably has a Nippon Denso ECU, not so simalar! I have just had a cataract removed so am trying to put the time off work to good use. Should be riding again in ten days or so.

I now have the cable and have downloaded the ducatidiag software. All loaded up easily enough, the front page displayed with the ecu info , rpm temps, throttle position, etc. I have made a donation to their website and hope to receive a 'licence', this is freeware. Of course although it displayed the data this is all probably basic stuff and not truly aimed at the V11.

http://ducatidiag.xooit.com

I did a web search earlier and had the strange experience of seeing my first post listed. I guess it's true the internet is full of information that comes from uneducated sources...me.

Managed to get the freeware Ducatidiag running, screen shot below

ducatidiag-v11.jpg.

I don't know what the ISO CODE/ecu data/ and calibration are about. No RPM showing as engine was stopped at the time. I did set my idle using this displ;ay rather than trust my rev-counter.

I am following this as I wanted to learn more about diagnostics before commiting to anything expensive.

There is a second page that allows tests of the coil, injectors, pump etc. I am a nervous to try them at this stage.

Back in 1968 when I bought my first bike, a 650 BSA A10, I recall tuning consisted of polishing ports, big carbs, open pipes and improving the airflow in general and correcting the rather poor build quality of the day in an attempt to get closer to what the designer intended. We could improve performance but only by moving the powerband around - more top end at the expense of bottom end. Into the late seventies and eighties build quality of our bikes had improved to the point little was to be gained from simple file and wet-n-dry paper. We were then trying to remove the dip in mid range performance due to the noise and to a certain degree emmision regulations, je3tting kits were all the rage. Not quite sure what one is attempting to do with modern bikes (I guess that means nineties and on), particularly fuel injected bikes. It seems to me production control has improved to the point you need to do radical work to make any change, so are we still trying to dodge that old midrange loss due to legislation or what? Sorry if it seems an odd train of thought, I guess I like tinkering but am not certain what I actually want to achieve.

The diagnostic tools that you pay for will do very little more than this. I have also the mdst that was the original diagnostic tool supplied to the dealers, the only extra thing that does is record a log and graph if you so desire. The axone 2000 will allow you to remap if you have them but not really worth the additional expense, if you already have the latest map you dont need it. The axone navigator does the same but more money still. The creator of the ducatdiag tool also has a tool that will enable you to re map and is collecting a database of maps.

If you really want to spend money on the fuel injection/diagnostic side of things the cliff jefferies myecu is in my opinion the way to go.