2011/2012 Stelvio

orangeokie

I've had a terrible itch since I sold the Rosso Corsa, and I don't think it can be scratched without getting either a new Griso SE, Norge 8V, or this beauty . . . the orange Stelvio . . .

2011-05-21095721v2.jpg

2011 Stelvio 1200 Preview

Moto Guzzi has updated the Stelvio 1200 adventure motorcycle for 2011 in Europe. This version will come to the United States in the second half of 2011 as a 2012 model. The updates for this Italian motorcycle include new-profile camshafts, new exhaust, a new fairing and windshield combination, larger 8.5-gallon fuel tank, updated side panniers and liners, and a new seat, among other updates

According to Moto Guzzi, "The fuel tank, by integrating it within the lightweight fairing, now highlights a clearly smooth streamlined effect which flows into the double front headlight assembly."

The Stelvio 1200 design is not just for show, according to a Moto Guzzi spokesman, who tells us, "From an objective standpoint, the style of the new surfaces emphasizes two fundamental project milestones compared to the previous version--more efficient aerodynamic protection, thanks to the new top fairing, and practically twice fold range capacity, thanks to the outstanding new fuel tank with a 32-liter record capacity."

The Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200's motor has not escaped attention. Moto Guzzi says that, "This latest version can boast the careful attention paid to achieve a more silent and smooth running of the engine, whilst tweaking the electronic control, timing system and cooling system."

"The brand new integrated ignition and injection ECU now exploits the signals sent by the two lambda probes to guarantee adequate feeding throughout the entire combustion cycle, improving response to the throttle control, mid range power delivery further to consumptions and emissions. The engine now boasts a maximum torque of over 113 Nm delivered at a mere 5,800 rpm, and easily reaches a peak in output of over 105 horsepower."

The Stelvio chassis geometry is unchanged, with a rake of 27 degrees and a 60.4-inch wheelbase. The suspension is fully adjustable, with the front-end controlled by 45mm upside-down Marzocchi forks with 6.7 inches of travel.

The rear Sachs shock has progressive action and the rear axle moves just over six inches. Brembo brakes are back, and have front radial-mounted calipers that grip new discs that have lighter flanges and a new brake band to better dissipate heat.
New light alloy rims are standard.

Factory options available for the 2011 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 include a GPS navigator, heated handgrips, and protection for the Compact Reactive Cardan Shaft Drive.

2011 Moto Guzzi Stelvio | Motorcycle Specifications

Engine: 90° V-shaped twin cylinder, 4 valves per cylinder
Engine capacity: 1151 cc
Max output: 103 hp at 7250 rpm
Max torque: 83 ft/lbs at 5800 rpm
Exhaust system: stainless steel, 2-in-1 type, and three-way catalytic converter with double lambda probe
Transmission: 6-speed
Final drive: CAR compact reactive shaft drive; double Cardan joint and floating bevel gear set, ratio 12/44 = 1:3.666
Front suspension: completely adjustable upside-down fork (spring preload and hydraulic compression and rebound damping) with mounting bracket for radial brake caliper
Rear suspension: single-sided swing-arm with progressive linkage and monoshock with adjustable hydraulic rebound and dial for setting spring preload
Front brake: dual 320 mm stainless steel floating discs and radial calipers with 4 horizontally opposed pistons - ABS
Rear brake: 282 mm stainless steel fixed disc, floating caliper with 2 parallel pistons - ABS
Tires: 110/80 R19" tubeless (front) - 150/70 R17" tubeless (rear)
Max length: 90.7 inches
Max width: 42.5 inches
Height: 58.1 inches
Seat height (adjust.): 32.3/33.1 inches
Dry weight: 553 pounds
Fuel tank capacity: 8.5 gallons (including 1.8-gallon reserve)
2011 Stelvio 1200 Standard motorcycle accessories: Aluminum top box, Tom Rider and navigator holder, heated handgrips, and headlamp guard.

I saw one of these in white at the factory a couple months ago...very, very nice. I can't decide which I'd want either between this new Stelvio and the SE Griso. I do know that it's been a long time since there were TWO brand new Guzzi models I really, really liked. :mg:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And, so . . . now what? Does anyone have one of these jewels?

I'm hoping Moto Guzzi NA brings them to Barber's Oct 2011.

I fear I may be smitten!:wub:

Be sure to take some pics if they do. :rasta:

With 8.4 gallons of fuel what kind of range is expected? My Tiger 1050 is capable of 225 to 250 miles of highway at a moderate pace. I would hope the Stelvio would get 42 to 45 mpg under the same conditions. My Ballabio gets 38 to 42 mpg so I would hope the newer enginer architecture was capable of more.

I like the wheels and some of the updates, headlights are not my favorite.

Anyone here have the new Norge 8V? Just wondering what they think. From the reviews it looks like customer gripes have been addressed.

Dave

With 8.4 gallons of fuel what kind of range is expected? My Tiger 1050 is capable of 225 to 250 miles of highway at a moderate pace. I would hope the Stelvio would get 42 to 45 mpg under the same conditions. My Ballabio gets 38 to 42 mpg so I would hope the newer enginer architecture was capable of more.

I like the wheels and some of the updates, headlights are not my favorite.

Anyone here have the new Norge 8V? Just wondering what they think. From the reviews it looks like customer gripes have been addressed.

Dave

I just rode a pretty aggressive sport-tour with an 8V Stelvio that got like 41-43 USmpg (into N. AR not far from Springdale!). Even if the "claimed" 8.4 is like my Sport's "claimed" 5.8 (5.1 actual), the new Stelvio should go 288 miles at 39 mpg.

Works for me :thumbsup: - 288 is a magical number . . .

No "new" Stelvio at Barber's. The Guzzi reps there said maybe 2013 :(

But, hey, EICMA is next month! Looking forward to the news. And hoping the Italians can afford to hire models to pose with the bikes again this year!B)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Cantaloop

Since 18/08/2011 i am a proud owner of a new Stelvio NTX. Mileage now: 7600km. Had a nice holiday in southern Italy.

SANY0001.jpgSANY0005.jpgSANY0002.jpgSANY0003.jpgDSCI0415.jpgDSCI0479.jpgDSCI0382.jpg

The engine runs great. No torque-hole.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

And, so . . . now what? Does anyone have one of these jewels?

I'm hoping Moto Guzzi NA brings them to Barber's Oct 2011.

I fear I may be smitten!wub.gif

Hey Docc, been awhile.  You get a Stelvio.  I was considering one, but the weight has me a little concerned.  You?

Ah! look what the (nose) wind blew in! Good to see you about, David!

The Stelvio is a bit too ponderous for my tastes. More and more, I think Guzzi have nailed the market with the V7 series - light, affordable, and a fine fit & finish.

Makes me want one!