2011/2012 Stelvio

orangeokie

I purchased a 2009 Stelvio.  It has/had Pirelli Scorp Trails.  The originals were Syn's.  I need to replace the tires.  Is there a preferred tire for this model?  The original owner seemed to like the Trails a lot.  Any suggestions?

TIA

I've got a 2009 (with aux tank) and use it for 2 up touring, have finally settled on Bridgestone BT23's - not much use in the dirt but the handling on the road is fantastic and they don't wear square like the scorpions.

• 1 year later...

Hi Nosezwind, I have been lucky enough to own both of these darlings. Bought the '10 Giso SE after seeing in a mag, just had to have it. I was not disappointed. Went like the wind much to constable plods dismay. Handles well but I still think the Rosso Mandello handles better, more feel from front end. I kept it for 2 years but kept getting tickets, so decided on the Stelvio after crashing the V Strom.

Bought a 2 year old demonstrator, gold as per photo. It had 200km on the clock. I have now done 10K kms and love it. You do get used to the weight, but it handles itself very lightly on the move. Very good handling and suspension but have yet to do some serious off road work as yet, that is coming. It's very comfortable to ride, screen is good but I have improved it with a deflector, heated grips, engine bars. Its easy to ride slower, so as to keep licence intact.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Have now completed 18k on the /12 Stelvio. A recent ride of 1300km caused both exhaust gaskets to blow on the crossover section of pipe.

Has anyone else had this problem on what I would regard as a relative new bike?

A timely reminder....I've been watching for a post 13 stelvio for a while now, and wondering if I'd keep the v11 if / when I buy one. How many stelvio owners still keep their v11 ?

I've currently got a ktm 640 for the dirt touring, and I use the v11 for wandering around the mountains. I've given up on waiting for a v7 ntx

I had a similar problem just after purchasing a 09 Stelvio @ 20,000 miles.  I installed new gaskets ($$) and have over 40,000 miles with no issues.  I understand that if you let anything get loose at the fittings the gaskets are prone to blowing out.  I checked mine for loosening up, but no issues.   We are talking about the expensive carbon spacers? 

I still have my V11s after purchasing a Stelvio.  If I had to sell one it would be the Stelvio.  The V11 is my short ride bike and such a classic and still a hoot to ride.  The Stelvio is a long distance machine. I don't like the weight of the Stelvio. 

I keep looking at the Stelvio - I miss having a big adventure bike. But now that Honda is entering the full-size ADV market with the 1000cc Africa Twin I'm getting distracted from the Stelvio....... will the Africa Twin be as dirt-capable as the 950/990 KTMs, but with Honda price point and ease of ownership? That would be a winner for Honda. (as would a 450 with turn signals and license plates)

http://powersports.honda.com/africatwin.aspx

The circle of life....about 25 years ago I sold a v50 to buy a honda transalp ( she's 6'2" and a great pillion)....which I sold to buy an africa twin 15 years later....for a while I had the @ and my ktm 640 but wasn't riding the @ so a mate owns it now....and yes, I have considered the new honda....but what I really want is that little v50 mixed with a bit of all of them. Hence the v7 ntx dream.

Say, a V7 special with a ktm640adv front end, wilburs longer shocks, and somehow find an ntx 750 tank....but I've been spoilt by the v11 motor so I need to try a stelvio first. AND keep the v11 , and probably keep the 640, and that new africa twin does look interesting.....especially the " basic" one with no abs dct rider elimination gadgetry....

Say, a V7 special with a ktm640adv front end, wilburs longer shocks, and somehow find an ntx 750 tank....but I've been spoilt by the v11 motor so I need to try a stelvio first. AND keep the v11 , and probably keep the 640, and that new africa twin does look interesting.....especially the " basic" one with no abs dct rider elimination gadgetry....

You are a complete crazy person... and it takes one to know one. I feel the same way. The Stelvio seems too big for the terrain I would want to take it on, so a V7 NTX would get my attention. My KTM950Adv was great to ride almost everywhere - but crappy gas-mileage and a total PITA to work on.

And the V11 and the Husky are staying. Full-stop. I'd go with the base Africa model too. I bet it will also weigh less than the DCT - that's dual clutch, that's TWO clutches, that has to add weight.

I'm thinking about having a Big-Red sip of Honda Kool-Aid....

"The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred."

-Soichiro Honda

"Stir it Up"

-Bob Marley

Scud, the dct weighs 14 kg more than the standard . Almost as much as a stelvio dry / without the panniers etc!

BUT - despite being a devoted Honda v twinner I was never passionate about them. I loved the way they were so plucky / dependable / surprisingly capable....but passion isn't the right word. Strange, really, because most of my amazing motorbike experiences were aboard those Hondas , and I was always content whilst riding them, but I rarely hopped off one raving like I did the first time I rode a 950 ADV or HP2 or even a wr200.

Then again...that 2 up landing off a sand dune at 140 ( km) ...or powersliding around a 4 wd on the wrong side of 180 ...or chugging up a greasy hill littered with trailbikes with my wife on the back....or scraping the panniers in NZ ....or the frame at the racetrack....good memories.

Bugrit, I'll ride the new africa twin before buying a v7 and converting it - thanks.

Wow - the Stelvio is lighter than I imagined. Wet weight goes up a lot, because of HUGE fuel tank. 31 extra pounds for ABS and a Dual Clutch Transmission on the Honda, no thanks...

Quick Internet searches reveal these data:

BMW F800GS: 407 lbs dry

KTM 950 ADV or Super Enduro: 417 lbs dry

KTM 990 ADV: 461 lbs dry

Honda Africa Twin (standard) 504 lbs wet - subtract about 35 for gas/oil and that leaves 469 dry weight

Stelvio: 471 lbs dry

KTM 1190 ADV: 521 lbs dry

BMW 1200GS: 582 lbs dry (with luggage)

Yamaha Super Tenere: some huge number... even more than the Beemer.

I really would not like to pick any of these up from a difficult spot by myself (was difficult with my 950). However... I think the older KTMs and Africa Twin have similar ground clearance and suspension travel, more than the rest of the above class.

I'm sure there will be plenty of comparison tests available soon. I hope the Stelvio gets into the mix for these.

The Guzzi stirs my soul.  Soichiro said that's important.  :oldgit:

Scud, that 471 is the cast wheel road stelvio, ie the basic bike. Guzzi makes the mistake of listing " dry" weight on the ntx, including panniers, crash bars, driving lights, bash plate etc. Most journalists are too stupid to recognise this, which is why they keep saying " once under way the weight dissapeared" ....and " it feels surprisingly agile for its weight" .... It's a relatively light bike, and lower than similar weight bikes like the ktm, BUT it's got marzochi forks and sachs shock so it isn't a ktm.