2011/2012 Stelvio

orangeokie

How much does a bike weigh? Something that seems like it should be simple can get so complicated.

Well, do you mean with all the fluids and a full tank of gas? How about the optional equipment? How about the extra stuff you know you're going to want to put on (crash bars, bash plate, etc)? So many different weight numbers out there for the same bike - it does make comparisons a bit tricky.

They're all too heavy to be serious dirt bikes. My Husky is under 250 lbs - half the weight of the average ADV bike. Once a bike passes the point that I can easily lift it by myself, it almost doesn't matter how much it weighs.

I read one review of the Stelvio that made an excellent point - the Stelvio chugs along at idle through slow, difficult terrain, whereas many of the others require a lot of clutch work in similar circumstances. The reviewer said you could walk it at idle through, up, or over things that you'd have to hit at higher speeds on the other bikes (increasing risk of dumping the bike). Being able to chug slowly through the tough spots is a lot faster than getting stuck. A low 1st gear is a big advantage in the dirt - helps with controlling downhill speed too. The counter point (in favor of the KTMs and Africa Twin) is that more suspension travel and ground clearance make it easier to hit that same terrain at higher speeds.

More suspension isn't always better - I just want good suspension. With the bigger dirt bikes, it's a trade between low centre of gravity and good suspension across a wide range. My old transalp had minimal travel, but there was an ohlins in the back and my guru had done his magic up front. It was surprisingly plush over corrugations, AND coped with big hits at surprising speeds. The trade off was I ripped a few different bashplates off the frame. The transalp was easier than the africa twin in difficult terrain - lower centre of gravity. But the @ was amazing in fast whooped out sand.

I figure a stelvio with a wilburs in the back, and perhaps some decent cartridges up front? Then remove the fairing, fit a lighter pipe....and go hunting triumphs.

Ps I was looking at pics of my old it200 - that thing was down around the magical 200 lb sweet spot

Real world weight of the Stelvio vs BMW is hard to pin down. I read somewhere that my '11 Stelvio is 553 pounds. That number is believable (rather than the factory listed 471 pounds dry)as a mostly wet, no bags weight . One thing most people miss about the BMW GS (Adventure) weights when comparing, is that BMW numbers are no bags, not a full tank of fuel....so fill the tank, and it's say 580 pounds wet...now add luggage! The BMW side bags and racks are 32-36 pounds (without top case), so with the tank fully topped the GS should outweigh the NTX. The NTX number is with bags and with that huge tank full at 598 pounds (2 liters more fuel than the biggest version of the GS tank). I don't feel there is much difference, but with the seat in the low position, the Stelvio is more manageable for a 5'-9" rider like me .Real world difference between most GS models and comparable Stelvio is insignificant. 

Interesting looking at dry weights...my '89 DT200 is 238 pounds dry, 33hp. DR650 is 324 pounds dry, 43hp. Something V7 based at  50 real hp, under 435 pounds could be okay.The dream bike I want that isn't out there (won't touch a BMW 800 due to poor reliability thanks, as good a package as they are..) should be under 430 dry, maybe 75hp...thinking Yamaha FZ-07 based. I think 450 pounds is about my limit for a serious dual purpose bike. I used to ride an early DR650 Dakar. which was 390 pounds/44hp, and a way too tall first gear; that was getting right up there in weight, and you had to attack in first gear with the gearing, but it went very well on the highway. My 2000 DR650 feels like a 350 in comparison. The Stelvio at 105hp is a superbike that can manage okay in dirt, but it is no dirt bike. Still...I haven't been turned back yet on mine...except by common sense telling me not to try. If I am brave enough , it will do anything I ask. I personally find first gear on the Stelvio is pretty high, and I have the clutch in a fair bit in rough stuff, but it does okay. If a GS can do it, I can do it...or at least that is what I have been telling myself, and so far so good.LOL

• Like 1

I figure a stelvio with a wilburs in the back, and perhaps some decent cartridges up front? Then remove the fairing, fit a lighter pipe....and go hunting triumphs.

Like this Stelvio Motard?

http://www.bikeexif.com/moto-guzzi-stelvio

But with knobbies, fenders, bash plate, big air-box with a foam filter, etc. 

Nah, I'd keep the stock tank , and ideally want a 21 front but would accept a 19 begrudgingly...think long range capable hp2 but without the floppy tits and gas shock. I found the hp2 cylinders caught on my shins wheelstanding up hills, I wonder what the guzzi cylinders would be like? I really do need to ride a stelvio in anger .....

• 2 weeks later...

Oops...a 2014 stelvio just followed me home.

Scud, you've got to get a ride on one of these! Sweet motor, nice geometry. The suspension is going to need some tweaking but that can wait until daylight . The stock seat makes my rich maude v11 and renazco ktm seats seem like torture equipment!

• Like 1

Your wish is my command....

I think I might have made a tactical error riding it home in stock trim. That big uggle fairing actually works, and those silly spot lights actually make it easier on a cold, lonely night ride. Even that enormous stock pipe might stay - it sounds really nice. I'll weigh it before deciding.

My plan is to do a few road / light dirt trips to wear out these stock tyres and then decide if I really need the v11. If I keep the v11 I'll start stripping back the ntx i to a more useable dirt tourer, but if I decide the v11 is now obsolete I might keep the stelvio stock ( ish)

She feels like the disrespectfull love child!

She feels smaller / more agile than a bmw gs / 990 ktm. But a LOT more, er, substantial than the ktm 640. Interesting to walk around....I don't think I'll be lifting her over logs! Once moving, she just works.

A lot of the feel is visual - the instrument cluster sits low so it's just a clear screen in front of you ( the 640 instruments sit higher than the tripple clamps). Some of it is the low centre of gravity? Some of it must be the relatively short suspension travel and that little 19 inch front wheel?

The bars are enormous and a strange bend, I'll play with the ergos for a while, but they feel wider than any adv bike I've owned / ridden. I'm not sure how much of that is the chunky heated grips, or the huge bar end things making the handguards sit out too wide?

Footpegs are like stepping back to the 80's - thin little things like I had on my transalp. I think if I sell the 640 I'll be fitting bigger pegs!

Transition from sitting to standing is better than I was expecting. It actually feels better up on the pegs than my old africa twin / transalp / any gs bmw I've ridden. Possibly better standing ergos than a 990 ktm!! But not a 640.... I'll probably need a shorter screen - it hits my chest wheelstanding up hills....or perhaps I should accept it's not a ktm? I'll see what it's like riding with the guys before I decide if it's going to become a hard core adv bike or if it's going to just be a dirt tourer ( we've got a core group of guys with triumph 8/ktm 990's and they all have husky / ktm enduro bikes - they all grew up as expert level enduro riders - I suspect the stelvio will be out of her league with these guys)

As you'd expect, she doesn't hug the road like my v11 , or even the 640, but after a 300 km ride home on a cold, dark night , I was glad I wasn't riding the v11 ! ( it'd been a long day with lots of stuffing around - I think it might be time to accept I'm too fussy to buy bikes second hand......)

She feels like the disrespectful love child!

She feels smaller / more agile than a bmw gs / 990 ktm.

Transition from sitting to standing is better than I was expecting. It actually feels better up on the pegs than my old africa twin / transalp / any gs bmw I've ridden. Possibly better standing ergos than a 990 ktm!! 

...after a 300 km ride home on a cold, dark night , I was glad I wasn't riding the v11 !

mmmm very distracting... and somewhat surprising... and encouraging... and tempting....  :P:

I only heard the good parts.

Ok, so she's heavy when you get her bogged! But a lot less scary than the v11 when you crest a rise and the road is covered in greasy clay.

I'm really not excited about a trip computer that records max speed for the day -I must remember to clear that when the cops pull me over!