90th Anniversary Party In Mandello

Orson

Thanks for the help!

I got over the bike hurdle - Agostini Moto Guzzi in Mandello came through with two bikes (Stelvios), next up hotels and travel other than bike days.

Anyone have hotel ideas?

What are the transport options if you are staying on the other side of the lake?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the transport options if you are staying on the other side of the lake?

They have fairly regular ferries between Varenna, Bellagio and Menaggio although I'm not sure when the last ferry runs.

The road around the south of the lake is very narrow with heavy traffic, so the ferry is definitely the way to go.

Yes, planning to go there as well.

Still have to go there for the first time so why not this weekend.

Will try to find some free camping ground , do not like to pay for some square meters when I'm not buying it. Anyone familiar with the local campings?

Johan

I saw somewhere that there would be free camping in the local parks and areas around Mandello.

Looks like I may have to go vagrant for the weekend too as I cannot find a hotel anywhere near Mandello and I will have turned in my rental bike and be relying on public transport for the weekend.

Orson - thanks for the help. There are places across the lake available but I think without a bike/car or taking a long swim they will be too far away, guess I will keep researching options. It appears to be better to be further away but close to a train station than closer but no easy way to travel.

Anyway the important things were getting over there and getting to ride, everything else will work itself out. Worst case I can pimp myself out to some beautiful 25 year old Italian girl who will give me room and board for services rendered :)

Orson - thanks for the help. There are places across the lake available but I think without a bike/car or taking a long swim they will be too far away, guess I will keep researching options.

I thought you had a bike rented from Agostinis? Take the train to Mandello, pick up the bike, then take the bike to a hotel across the lake :)

The ferry from Varenna to Menaggio takes about 20 or 30 minutes, if that long.

Bellagio also has some hotel options, depending on how much you're willing to pay.

The north end of the lake might have some hotel options around Colico, but I think that will be about an hour from Mandello.

Orson - thanks for the help. There are places across the lake available but I think without a bike/car or taking a long swim they will be too far away, guess I will keep researching options.

I thought you had a bike rented from Agostinis? Take the train to Mandello, pick up the bike, then take the bike to a hotel across the lake :)

We arrive Saturday the week before the MG party, just going to have the bikes Mon-Fri then back to public transit for the weekend - figuring it is not worth $140 a day to have the bike sit parked at the MG event. Guess we could switch to rental car if needed but had hoped to work it all via trains to save some cash and parking hassles with such a big crowd.

I'm going!

Have rented a house together with some German friends in Colico, just north of Mandello.

I'm going!

Have rented a house together with some German friends in Colico, just north of Mandello.

If you end up with any extra space let me know, I'll buy in!

We are already five persons, and I don't know how big the house is, -it's all arranged by the Germans...

But I will phone them in a few days, and then I can ask. I will eventually let you know via PM.

Could have been interesting.

I'm going!

If you end up with any extra space let me know, I'll buy in!

We are already five persons, and I don't know how big the house is, -it's all arranged by the Germans...

But I will phone them in a few days, and then I can ask. I will eventually let you know via PM.

Could have been interesting.

I appreciate it, never know maybe someone will back out as it gets closer. If not maybe meet you guys for a Nastro Azzurro somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

At least 2 V11's from Ecosse - self and Harry. Look out for his special V11 numberplate on his Rosso Corsa :bike:

[/quote

Your going to mandello!!!! Well theres a suprise, Harry has never mentioned it :rolleyes:

Much.

have a good time, remember the pernod. :drink:

Well I am quietly confident, that after I finish the first bottle, while I am driving through the land of onions, berets and stripey T shirts, I can pick up a bottle of the anisede juice to keep me going.

And you can look forward to all Harry's stories. We can bore you at the Kinlochleven weekend with a mile by mile detailed account................... :wacko: