Gearbox Spring / Pawl Arm fix, with pics

Mine went today...at least assume so. Ballabio is stuck in second gear (and of course a LONG way from home); will get her home tomorrow. Confused if I need just the spring or the entire arm- Is there a way to tell before cracking open the gearbox case? (ie. frame #)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

docc

Posted Images

... Is there a way to tell before cracking open the gearbox case? (ie. frame #)

No.

But I thought it was just 2002 bikes had wrong size post?

The springs break anyway. Seems to me that it just happens a lot quicker on the 2002 bikes that have the wrong sized parts (mine went after only 1k miles from new).

Chances are that the Ballabio spring has gone the natural way of all the other broken springs (if that's what has indeed happened).

Sctt, you'll most likely only need a new spring, not the arm. As Baldini says, the arm/boss is probably the correct size. A new spring will (should) have a bigger coil anyway, to work with the bad arm as well as a good one.

... Is there a way to tell before cracking open the gearbox case? (ie. frame #)

No.

But I thought it was just 2002 bikes had wrong size post?

The springs break anyway. Seems to me that it just happens a lot quicker on the 2002 bikes that have the wrong sized parts (mine went after only 1k miles from new).

Chances are that the Ballabio spring has gone the natural way of all the other broken springs (if that's what has indeed happened).

Sctt, you'll most likely only need a new spring, not the arm. As Baldini says, the arm/boss is probably the correct size. A new spring will (should) have a bigger coil anyway, to work with the bad arm as well as a good one.

Sounds good. New spring is already on it's way from TX.Should probably call and have them send another one to keep for insurance. Is it going to be a problem to seperate the gearbox cover if the tranny will not go into neutral?

• 2 weeks later...

You should be able to get it into neutral

– at least once the box is opened you can slide everything into the right position.

The second post here gives some guidance on doing it and there may be more description in the other topic posts.

If you can't find the neutral position, give a shout here again.

Finished now, and shifting fine. Only problem was when dry fitting for trial, I put the shifter on a spline or two off and only had first and neutral, as the shifter hit the frame behind it before going into second.

Also for first timers: watch the routing of the braided shock res hose when reinstalling. It is dangerously close to the hot cable serving the starter. Nearly had sparks here.

Thanks, belfastguzzi!

P1000690.JPG

So yours broke at the coil, not at the end hook. Did you measure the diameter of the boss that the coil fits around on the pawl arm? 15mm or 16mm

What diameter is the old spring coil?

What diameter is the new spring coil?

...Also for first timers: watch the routing of the braided shock res hose when reinstalling. It is dangerously close to the hot cable serving the starter. Nearly had sparks here......

Best to disconnect battery.

I'm curious as to how this spring gets enough abuse to cause it to break, even with adequate boss clearance to prevent binding.

Early Mazda rotary engines had a problem with cross bolts failing due to fatigue caused by mechanical resonance. The solution was to coat the bolts, or to enlarge the bolts to take away the space around the bolts to damp or prevent lateral movement.

Is it possible the pawl spring could be vibrating to the point of metal fatigue. If so, would it be worth while to set the spring and pawl up on a fixture and excite the fixture with a variable speed electric motor with an eccentric weight, to see what happens. Maybe just thumping the fixture with a rubber mallet could show if the spring is prone to resonate.

I'm not presently able to pursue this but maybe someone here is equipped to look into it. If we got really lucky maybe the problem could be fixed with something like a teflon bushing between the boss and the spring coils.

What do you think?

Troy

So yours broke at the coil, not at the end hook. Did you measure the diameter of the boss that the coil fits around on the pawl arm? 15mm or 16mm

What diameter is the old spring coil?

What diameter is the new spring coil?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
...Also for first timers: watch the routing of the braided shock res hose when reinstalling. It is dangerously close to the hot cable serving the starter. Nearly had sparks here......

Best to disconnect battery.

Had the battery disconnected. Wouldn't attempt it otherwise. Just meant that I nearly routed the braided hose such that it would have been really ugly when the battery was reconnected. I could see where the rubber boot cover on the starter lug could creep up causing a problem.

Not sure why, sometimes when I post here; what I say and what I meant are so differn't :drink:

Scott

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...