Valve stem leaking at base

tmcafe

After I was gone for three weeks I noticed that my rear tire was almost flat. I pumped it back up and tried to find the leak by spraying soapy water but couldn't find any puncture and the valve core was fine. However it kept losing at least 1 psi overnight. Eventually I found the leak at the base of the stock metal valve where it meets the nut that holds it in place. The nut turns with the valve and doesn't tighten. I called the shop that installed it this past spring and they told me to bring it in to have it checked (when they put the tire on they didn't say anything about the valve stem; I don't like the idea that they may charge me again for re/installing the tire). In the meantime I tried to tighten the nut by grabbing the stem carefully with a wrapped rag and pliers like somebody suggested, but the minor leak is still there. Maybe the stem still turned with the nut, I couldn't really see.

How bad is it? Is it dangerous to ride the bike as is, if I check the pressure regularly?

I'll preface this with the fact that I am not a tire expert by any means (if there is such a thing).

You'll need to get it fixed for sure- you already know that. As to how immediately dangerous it is- I don't think you'll see catastrophic failure- the nut on the valve stem can only move up a bit until it finds threads. I'm assuming the threads are stripped next to the base at the rim.

I would have it fixed asap, though. You know it's a problem and it can only get worse.

I'll preface this with the fact that I am not a tire expert by any means (if there is such a thing).

You'll need to get it fixed for sure- you already know that. As to how immediately dangerous it is- I don't think you'll see catastrophic failure- the nut on the valve stem can only move up a bit until it finds threads. I'm assuming the threads are stripped next to the base at the rim.

I would have it fixed asap, though. You know it's a problem and it can only get worse.

Hi

have had this happen to me. It is corrosion between the alloy wheel and the valave stem, eventually leads to threads stripping and the insert not sealing against the wheel. Two solutions. One is to buy a new insert - surprisingly hard to find. Second is to find a wsher that slips over the valave stem. Take a metal valve cap and grind the top off to make a tube. Screw said tube over washer hard and iot will seal. has lasted 40k miles on my bike. Put a drop of oil on stem before this to prevent further corrosion. BUT keep an eye on it.

Cheers

guzz

Thanks, I'll definitely take care of it asap. Hope it won't be too difficult. The washer is inside the rim and the nut outside is holding/pulling the valve stem fast against washer and rim combo, right? At least that's what it looks like logically. There's no washer on the outside, unless I didn't look carefully.

Arieta is the way to go.

Thanks. Good to know. Couldn't open the direct link but went to the main page and also found the Marchesini (out of stock/sp order), about half the price of Arieta:

http://www.motowheels.com/ITALIAN/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=532%7CSpare%20Wheel%20Parts&productID=2922&showDetail=1&categoryID=532|Spare%20Wheel%20Parts&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=

What's the plus for Arieta? Did you have any experience with them?

Arieta is the way to go.

Thanks. Good to know. Couldn't open the direct link but went to the main page and also found the Marchesini (out of stock/sp order), about half the price of Arieta:

http://www.motowheels.com/ITALIAN/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=532%7CSpare%20Wheel%20Parts&productID=2922&showDetail=1&categoryID=532|Spare%20Wheel%20Parts&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=

I replaced my stockers when I changed tires. Real quality product and with the 90 degree stem makes adding air a breeze. Different colors add bling.

lg485727476.jpg

Arieta is the way to go.

http://www.motowheel...or=&collection=

I replaced my stockers when I changed tires. Real quality product and with the 90 degree stem makes adding air a breeze. Different colors add bling.

lg485727476.jpg

They look great and seem to be well made. The Marchesini 90º seems to be identical, minus the finish. I also notice they have a different (more simple) way of attachment to the rim than the straight one:

lg940410149.jpg