caswell tank sealer failer

dave

This is just a heads up on sealing the tank with the 2 part epoxy sealer from Caswell. I am very familiar with epoxies and have had good experiences dealing with Caswell in the past. But after having prepped the tank with all the care of a O.C.D. furniture maker and used the product as instructed (truly). I filled the tank with gas (a month had passed) and the epoxy has lifted. I am waiting to hear back from Caswell to get their input as to how to remove the epoxy more completely. This isn't a rant, just a warning that there can be bad batches of epoxy and I will follow up with possible fixes if I have one. The rant may follow if Caswell blows off the problem as user error.

This is just a heads up on sealing the tank with the 2 part epoxy sealer from Caswell. I am very familiar with epoxies and have had good experiences dealing with Caswell in the past. But after having prepped the tank with all the care of a O.C.D. furniture maker and used the product as instructed (truly). I filled the tank with gas (a month had passed) and the epoxy has lifted. I am waiting to hear back from Caswell to get their input as to how to remove the epoxy more completely. This isn't a rant, just a warning that there can be bad batches of epoxy and I will follow up with possible fixes if I have one. The rant may follow if Caswell blows off the problem as user error.

I was wondering how someone was going to get any type tank liner to stick to the nylon tank innards: that's some pretty slippery stuff. Guess we'll just have to lobby to get alcohol kept out of the gas for our bikes?

I was wondering how someone was going to get any type tank liner to stick to the nylon tank innards: that's some pretty slippery stuff. Guess we'll just have to lobby to get alcohol kept out of the gas for our bikes?

Until they come out with usable and affordable all electric bikes, corn and sugar should be food (or highly processed into a food-like substance :food: ).

This is a follow up. Caswell was helpful as per usual... They refunded the cost of the product. I described how the coating was failing and the conclusion was that there was insufficient tooth for the epoxy to grab to. I had used a box of drywall screws and shook vigorously for about fifteen minutes. THIS IS NOT ENOUGH. it seems that the epoxy grabs to the surface without much chemical bonding. Soooo shake, scrub or blast thoroughly!

What was the purpose of putting the sealer in the tank in the 1st place? Was the fuel tank leaking ? The plastic tank was (and is ) probably too "slick" for the sealer to stick to the tank.

What was the purpose of putting the sealer in the tank in the 1st place? Was the fuel tank leaking ? The plastic tank was (and is ) probably too "slick" for the sealer to stick to the tank.

I've heard of this being done (on plastic Ducati tanks?) to prevent the tank from absorbing EtOH and swelling. Apparently, left dry, tanks will shrink back to their original size after a few weeks and can be coated. I was planning to do this over the winter, but now ???

I've heard of this being done (on plastic Ducati tanks?) to prevent the tank from absorbing EtOH and swelling. Apparently, left dry, tanks will shrink back to their original size after a few weeks and can be coated. I was planning to do this over the winter, but now ???

I would use the product again, but I would do everything possible to texture the tank prior to coating. As for how it will hold up overtime, I will find out. I did use the entire contents of the kit as prescribed for larger tanks. It looks as though the areas that have a thicker coating have no lifting. Makes me think that a bit more would have helped.

• 8 months later...

I would use the product again, but I would do everything possible to texture the tank prior to coating. As for how it will hold up overtime, I will find out. I did use the entire contents of the kit as prescribed for larger tanks. It looks as though the areas that have a thicker coating have no lifting. Makes me think that a bit more would have helped.

Dave,

A year or so hass passed since last post any news on the success of the tank sealer??

Paul

Dave,

A year or so hass passed since last post any news on the success of the tank sealer??

Paul

Wow... zoom! and another year older.

The sealer looks as though it has failed.The sealer isn't pealing away from the tank, but there is discoloration between the sealer and tank that has spread to all visible areas progressing out from an area the size of a quarter. Clearly it doesn't bond well.

It was work to put in, and instead of peace of mind, I worry about the long term effects, loss of capacity, and potential clogged filters. All are more evidence of a character defect more than any real problem... which is annoying too. Oh, and the tank swelled back to it's tight fitting self.

Sorry for not updating my conclusion. I cannot recommend it.

Just had my tank Caswell-coated by a local Ducati shop. They've done more than a few Duc tanks with reportedly good success.

My tank was left to dry about three months before being brought in, and it had returned to near its original size. They had it media blasted and then rinsed it out thoroughly with a solvent (I don't know which). It got two coats of the Caswell epoxy and I just got it back on the bike.

Time will tell, but for now, I'm just stoked to be riding again... :D

• 5 months later...

Are there any more reports or updates on Caswell coating our V11 tanks ?

Would be interested to have an update from those who used Caswell's and did not have satisfactory result; if lifting has got worse or other complications.

Also, to hear from 'oldbutnotdead', his tank being media blasted prior to Caswelling. Even then, could not media blast every square inch of the tank's inside make me concerend.

I just bought a Caswell kit to use on an old Yamaha tank, but i'm not feeling good considering it for Greenie. Reading this thread has pretty much cooled me off to coat my tank with any type of coating product.

My Greenie has one pencil eraser sized area which appears like a bubble and the left fork just touches the tank. Keep expecting some day to pull the cover off and have a blister the size of a football.

• 7 years later...

I used Caswell Epoxy sealer in my 1978 T140v Bonneville 750. It seemed to work well. After 4 years, I was putting gas in the tank when I heard a series of popping sounds.  The epoxy had cracked in multiple places.  I contacted Caswell customer support and was told that the temperatures in New York vary enough to make the tank expand and contract and  cause the cracking. I was surprised to hear that about NY temperatures, plus the bike was always stored in a heated garage. Customer support advised that I could use paint stripper with Methylene Chloride to remove the remaining sealer (which the EPA has since ruled can no longer be manufactured in the US).  I was told I would be sent a replacement kit in October 2018.  In November 2018 I sent a followup asking if they were sending the replacement kit.  No reply.  I just followed up asking if they were sending the replacement and got this reply "wHICH WAS OVER A YEAR AGO" (Their caps).  I guess the implication is even though they said they would send it, since I waited a year its too late?? My take away is if you live in a place like NY with varying temperatures Caswell epoxy is not for you.  If you want help from customer support, its your responsibility to stay on top of them.  Good luck.

• 1 year later...

Stripper with Methylene Chloride is still manufactured here. The EPA ruled it could no longer be sold retail. i.e. Home Depot etc. It can be gotten wholesale if your a direct user. 

I restore antique mahogany runabouts. I use about 50 gallons of stripper every couple of years. I just bought a 50 gallon barrel of stripper with Methylene Chloride in it. 

If you need some find a professional furniture restorer, boat restorer or old house restorer. They will probably have some you could buy from them. 

• Thanks 1