Soft centered V11

Mikuzzi

My Ballabio is undergoing surgery at the local Guzzi workshop. Tappet noise started to get quite loud during a fairly gentle (honest!) morning ride and it turns out that the microns thick hardening on the timing lobes of the camshaft has worn away and the tappets are chewing well into the metallic cheese underneath. The tappets themselves have also worn. The mechanic told me today that there's around 70 thou. of material missing – well, not missing, just now mixed with the oil.

The bike was made in 2003/2004 and a search here says that was when the factory was outsourcing component hardening duties.

So, what do I need to look for/be mindful of after repair? I've asked that the oil pump be stripped and cleaned and the mechanic's going to pop the shell bearings in the bottom end to check condition, flush the oil system renew filter etc..

Any advice?

Btw, the bike has done just 14,000Km – a bit disappointing that.

Perhaps fasten a magnet inside the sump to pick up any loose particles not taken out in the flush process.

I used to have the same problem with an old Vincent, I never saw any ill effects from the metal floating around

I suspect the particles are too fine to cause damage.

I believe Belfastguzzi went through something similar with his Griso. Maybe there's some good advice for you in this thread: http://www.v11lemans...showtopic=14516

Tom M thanks for the link – must admit I got a bit depressed about halfway through the read when consensus seemed to be that the engine was now shot and should be sent back as a warranty claim – no option there for the V11.

Interesting magnet idea. Is there a magnetic sump plug available (I think my wife's BM has one)?

Back in the early 1908s cam lobe failure was commonplace in 305- 350 Chevrolet engines..... Camshaft/lifter replacement was done w/out any other problems. I think you could get by (I would check the bores of the head where camshaft goes in the heads for excessive clearance) with cam/followers replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

I would at least pull the oil pump and check it for wear and scratches from the metal going through the engine. Also check the engine case where the oil pump gears ride against. The oil pump gets unfiltered oil from the sump, if you see damage here, pull the whole engine down. This is what part of the Guzzi hydro lifter recall did if the lifter wear was bad on the 03, 04 California's.

Good luck,

Mike

Back in the early 1908s cam lobe failure was commonplace in 305- 350 Chevrolet engines..... Camshaft/lifter replacement was done w/out any other problems. I think you could get by (I would check the bores of the head where camshaft goes in the heads for excessive clearance) with cam/followers replacement.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the bike back and is running well. I also got back the offending bits of innards so thought I'd post a pic for interest.

If this was a bad batch, most would probably have failed by now. I was staggered at how much material had worn off both the cam lobe and the tappet (lifter? what's the right term?).

There was some talk at the workshop that inadequate lubrication in the area may also be an issue, based on the fact that the replacement cam had much larger, repositioned oil galleys.

P1040020.JPG

Hi, its very poor to have worn so badly at such low mileage, hope your new parts last a lot longer, was this problem just on 2003/2004 bikes? whenever i see this sort of thing i allways worry about my own bikes internals.

HA! Sorry not realy laughing at you, but vendor issues have been problematic for several OEM's. For example Yamaha's XV1900 engines had similar failures early on, improper heat treatment of the lifter base was the cause (vender). :rolleyes: Made a real mess out of the cam's too. Normally customers would only bring them in once the pushrod would fall out of place and it would turn into a single! Hopefully the "new" inventory has better quality control. <_ factories realy do want to right but sometimes the cost of doing business in a conference room can be overwhelming. good companies fix those problems fast and take care customers long run bad companies.... well normally not make it as companies. economies scale apply.>

Hope your repairs provide you with ALOT more miles then before.

• 1 month later...