2011 GMG Photos

Orson

I managed some vacation time to make it to Mandello for the 90th anniversary of the founding of Moto Guzzi. Usually, seeing another Guzzi on the road is a rare event however, as I approached Lake Como almost all the bikes seen on the road were other Guzzis, which was rather a strange experience. The only hotel I could find was across the lake in Bellagio which really wasn't a problem as Lake Como ferries run regular routes across the lake. I had to chuckle as the girl at the hotel described the event as "una gran manifestasion." I know she meant it in a positive way but a manifestation sounds like a gathering of locusts.

Taking in the views and the cool lake breezes on the crossing

Italy052-1.jpg

Nuthin but Guzzis on the ferry. I met some Dutch riders who had ridden from Holland to Mandello in one day.

Italy028.jpg

Approaching ferry port of Varenna on the eastern shore of Lake Como. From Varenna to Mandello was a quick 15 minute hop. Many businesses along the road to Mandello had Guzzi banners hung out to welcome the hordes

Italy051-1.jpg

The city of Mandello opened to lakeside park to campers and by early Friday afternoon, it was already close to brimming. As evening descended, bikers were still arriving from all over Europe.

Italy030.jpg

I took a walk around the town to take in the sights.

Italy033.jpg

I've never seen more velocity stacks in one place

Italy031.jpg

Italy040-1.jpg

Italy041.jpg

The German Guzzistis made their presence known by a floating case of beer in the park's fountain

Italy042-1.jpg

Italy036-1.jpg

Motocross Guzzis. I read somewhere that these were built for Guzzi in Spain

Italy037.jpg

Italy047.jpg

Sport touring as it once was

Italy044-1.jpg

The Mayor of Guzzi-ville?

Italy046-1.jpg

Italy048.jpg

Italy053-1.jpg

Italy054.jpg

This would be a hoot at Deal's Gap

Italy056-1.jpg

Italy057-1.jpg

By Saturday morning, the place was really filling up

Italy045.jpg

Italy032.jpg

an elusive inline four Guzzi

Italy062.jpg

This Guzzi has an interesting story as it was built in the Ferrari workshop by a Ferrari employee. The tank, fender and tail section were machined from aluminum. I liked the unfinished aluminum as opposed to polished aluminum.

Italy019.jpg

Italy020.jpg

"This one goes to eleven" © Nigel Tufnel

Italy022.jpg

Honda's attempts to infiltrate the event with industrial spies were woefully inadequate.

Italy038.jpg

This is a picture of people waiting to get inside the factory tour, or angry customers storming the castle demanding spare parts

Italy060-1.jpg

Italian fast food

Italy063.jpg

Team Vespa Club di Monza were in da house

Italy064.jpg

This guy had a glass port hole on his valve cover

Italy070.jpg

La Policia Stradale

Italy068.jpg

The town of Mandello unveiled a new statue dedicated to Carlo Guzzi along with a sketch of his famous eight cylinder GP bike.

Italy069.jpg

Somehow, a Benelli managed to infiltrate the event

Italy071.jpg

Italy073.jpg

This picture epitomizes the wide array of machinery that were ridden to the event

Italy072.jpg

Just when you'd thought you'd seen every conceivable type of Guzzi, sumthin else showed up. This bike featured a new Guzzi engine shoehorned into a classic chassis. Designed by Michael Galuzzi and was up for sale

Italy035.jpg

Italy034.jpg

beautiful photos. thanks very much.

noticed on the V11 with the red fairing/tankcover & tailpiece, there is what appears to be a lock on the right front disc. this could prove to be an impending disaster for me.

stef

This guy had a glass port hole on his valve cover

Italy070.jpg

Totally cool! NB: I wonder how leak proof it can be, & can you even see anything when the motor is running what with oil spray on the inside?

Just when you'd thought you'd seen every conceivable type of Guzzi, sumthin else showed up. This bike featured a new Guzzi engine shoehorned into a classic chassis. Designed by Michael Galuzzi and was up for sale

Italy035.jpg

Italy034.jpg

For the man who has everything? Neat, but I don't see the point: it's all the other stuff besides the motor that make the modern bikes so good... :2c: