Converting Speedometer to Electric Drive

Craig

Craig,

Those guages look nice in there.

With regards to the hall effect sensor, I found this one which looks to be lower profile.

GMspeedodrive.jpg

What type of adapter did you need to fit the oddball GM female threads onto the Guzzi male side?

-Brian

Please tell us where you sourced this spiffy little item.

Could be a game changer.

ADVthanksANCE

-Jack

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig,

With regards to the hall effect sensor, I found this one which looks to be lower profile.

GMspeedodrive.jpg

What type of adapter did you need to fit the oddball GM female threads onto the Guzzi male side?

-Brian

Please tell us where you sourced this spiffy little item.

Could be a game changer.

ADVthanksANCE

-Jack

I looked around on ebay and came across it. I believe that one is an Autometer unit. The Stewart Warner 82527 looks to be an even lower profile, but I dunno how tall it would be after an adapter was set up to mate to the trans.

Craig,

GMspeedodrive.jpg

-Brian

I machined an adapter to go from the metric male thread to the SAE female thread. It helps to have a lathe.

What is the internal thread on that part? If it is the GM thread used by the sender I have, it would be a very nice fit.

It should be the same GM 7/8-18 on all of them. I'll see if they have one at the parts store near here and take a look. It would be cool to use that setup, but then we'd need a supplier for adapters... :whistle:

It should be the same GM 7/8-18 on all of them. I'll see if they have one at the parts store near here and take a look. It would be cool to use that setup, but then we'd need a supplier for adapters... :whistle:

I have had a few people ask. I could probably do a small run, but, frankly, my machining skills are good enough for me, but not production...

I have had a few people ask. I could probably do a small run, but, frankly, my machining skills are good enough for me, but not production...

So are Moto Guzzi's, in many ways... :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I chose a couple of gauges from Speedhut, they let you configure them to your own liking, If I were to do it again I would get the eagle logo added

I made a sensor from a magnet and reed switch

http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/Kiwi_Roy/slideshow/Guzzi%20Dash

I encourage you to try building a gauge, here's a starting point

http://www.speedhut.com/gauges/Speedometers-3-3-8-inch-Standard-Gauges-Only/39:1|37:3|38:1|1:4

http://www.speedhut.com/gauges/Tachometers-3-3-8-inch-Gauges-Only/1:2|37:3|39:1

Note; They make GPS and Canbus speedos as well as pulse input ones, be careful not to choose Canbus

• 3 weeks later...

My ITI odometer gears stripped out and I can't find any way of repairing it. I would like to keep the bike somewhat saleable, which means replacing with a bike speedo won't cut it. The plan is to use VDO 80mm Speedo and Tach. The instruments should fit in the gauge cluster without too much persuasion. The trick will be to interface a hall effect drive to the bike. The first attempt will be a GM Hall effect drive available from many places. In this case eBay $20 shipped.

The first problem is to adapt the threads. The GM sender is a female 7/8-18" thread, which is very unusual. Luckily I have a lathe and a modicum of machining skill, so I will machine an adapter. The bigger problem will be fitting the sender and associated wiring beneath the throttle linkage. There is very little room as this picture shows:

dscf3449.jpg

When the throttle is wide open the fitting only clears the top of the sender by 1mm or so. Once I have the adapter machined I will cut down the skirt around the connector pins and solder leads directly. This will allow me to increase the clearance by 10mm which should be plenty. I will put a weather pack connector closer to the meter to allow for disconnection later.

This has been done on a different model of Guzzi, and was documented here. Luckily for him his speedo drive was further aft and only interfered with non-moving parts.

I think somebody here got around this problem by having a short drive cable made so that the sender could be positioned out of harms way,but your way could be better.

That would be me :2c:  ...my conversion is documented here...

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13532&hl=speedometer

Nice work here too!

• 4 months later...

Well the speedo failure finally caught up to me on the SSR last week.

I have been looking at a Speedhut custom replacement (with Eagle graphic) and it seems like the easiest way to go is the GPS type sensor, why doesn't that seem to appeal to anyone?  (It seems like there must be something I don't know about this technology?  No reading in a tunnel?)

Also the stock gauges appear to be 3-1/2" and the options are 3-3/8" or 4", the 3/8" is closer but everyone on here seems to go with the 4", wondering why?

Thanks!

I used the 3-3/8 from Speedhut, although I made a new dash I made the holes the same size as original.

The Veglia's must be less than 3-3/8 because they fit into  rubber grommet.

I wanted to make use of the old speedo drive spot on the gearbox so I just filed a square section on a screw, to the head I glued a magnet.

The reed switch container is thin aluminium wrapped around a bolt then fixed to the nut off an old cable.

http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/Kiwi_Roy/slideshow/Guzzi%20Dash

• 1 month later...

Well the speedo failure finally caught up to me on the SSR last week.

I have been looking at a Speedhut custom replacement (with Eagle graphic) and it seems like the easiest way to go is the GPS type sensor, why doesn't that seem to appeal to anyone? (It seems like there must be something I don't know about this technology? No reading in a tunnel?)

Also the stock gauges appear to be 3-1/2" and the options are 3-3/8" or 4", the 3/8" is closer but everyone on here seems to go with the 4", wondering why?

Thanks!

Did you ever get definitive answers on your questions? I just picked up a (true) '03 V11 Sport with already damaged ITI gauges and I am looking to go with the Koso GPS or Speedhut GPS with Guzzi graphics. Why would anyone

want to fool around with the cable drive when there is GPS? I figured there'd be more guys out there looking for attractive threaded plug caps for the transmission, than hall-effect sensor adapters etc.!

Hmmm, I thought for sure the Koso gauges were GPS based, but it's starting to look like the SpeedHut gauges are thee only ones??? And yes they are usually in the $300-$400 range (per clock). The Koso all in one

units are similarly priced. I'm commited now, as I pretty much destroyed my transmission/speedo cable adapter yesterday, trying to plug it. I threaded the brass bearing for M8 threads, but then realized there is not

enough space in the tranny hole for any extra bolt sticking out of the bottom of the adapter...It's probably a good thing. I can imagine the locktite breaking free, and the bolt vibrating loose ending up in the bottom of the tranny LOL.

I am just going to get an oil drain plug, I think it's 16x1.5 thread.

I paid just over $300 for a pair of Speedhuts

Some riders have experienced interference problems with the GPS antenna

The nice thing about the pulse input speedo is you have so many options to trigger it all you need is a speed related pulse from some sort of pickup, I made a simple reed switch

sensor from scrap, a proximity sensor picking up the drive shaft bolts, a pushbike sensor on a spoke, the options are unlimited.

If you want a clock and altimeter the GPS type gives you those and a few other options.

Don't forget to tell them it's for a bike, add a logo and have them match the odometer reading to your failed Veglia  :thumbsup:

If you power the tacho from the normal black/red wire it will stay up scale when you turn the bike off, it needs power for a second to motor back down.

Check out the all black ones on the other forum, they really look sharp IMHO

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=65119.0

Near the bottom of page 1