12 v power socket

ridon29

Attach the wiring directly to the battery and place an inline fuse on the pos. wire as close to the battery as possible. Use nylon ties to secure the wires and use a sturdy bracke to mount the receptacle.........

• 1 month later...

Anyone any experience of fitting a 12 volt power socket ( cigartette lighter ) to V11. I want to power sat nav etc. Only have guzzi a week & love it.

I would consider something a little better than the lighter socket.... This is the style connector used on BMW bikes. You will of course have to use the male & female connectors.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=419

• 3 years later...

I have one under my seat, makes charging stuff super easy.  I don't run a GPS that I can see but do use Motion X on my phone with a set of Jaybird earbuds, gives me turn by turn directions....Also allows me to listen to Pandora.

If I understand Kiwi_Roy's advice, any draw directly off the battery is not read as voltage drop by the regulator and will not be compensated for in the charging circuit.

I wonder if simply tapping reference voltage elsewhere would be better?

I've got one direct to the battery needed for the Slime Pump.  I only have used to pump up a leaky tire.  The only reason I installed although I could use it for other things I suppose.

Something like this fused SAE connector?

DSCN2459.JPG

I use mine for charging, voltage monitoring, and (like LowRyter) - the Slime air compressor if needed.

The trouble might arise running heated clothing if the regulator can't see the draw.

I picked up a cig lighter socket from Advance Auto, and Wal-Mart has them as well (supposedly waterproof) for under $10. Use a fuse (I have mine tapped into a fuze block), and mine is zip-tied to the front right turn signal stalk in an out of the way place. Very similar to this: http://www.autozone.com/lighters/cigarette-lighter-and-accessories/help-weatherproof-exterior-accessory-power-outlet/439363_0_0/

Ken

IMG_5511.jpg

Something like this fused SAE connector?

attachicon.gifDSCN2459.JPG

I use mine for charging, voltage monitoring, and (like LowRyter) - the Slime air compressor if needed.

The trouble might arise running heated clothing if the regulator can't see the draw.

Thanks for the reminder, DOCC!

Battery tender also makes one that attaches to the Battery Tender SAE that connects directly  to the battery. I quick and simple option, but not an easy mount. http://www.batterytender.com/Accessories/Female-Cigarette-Adapter.html

Ken

I ran my Battery Tender plug up the spine and terminated it behind the headlight (had to splice on an extension). Then I got a Battery Tender USB adapter. I think most things that use "cigarette lighter" power sources can also be powered by USB cables. USBs are standardized (U=Universal). I use it for my phone or GPS - which mounts on a RAM ball on the RH mirror mount (stock mirrors removed).

See... if you just want a little plug somewhere, you also get to remove the gas tank and get new mirrors. Isn't this fun?

The GPS only uses a few milliamps, I tied my outlet into the park light, that's on when the key is On.

I broke open the case and just have the circuit board taped up floating in the headlight bucket.

An alternative would be a 12V USB adapter, that would allow you to charge other USB devices, it would need to be waterproof though.

Docc asked if there's a better way to reference the Voltage regulator.

Lately I have been suggesting to run it off relay 4 / 87 contact. that's pretty much direct from the battery, this will give a slightly lower charge Voltage but you can compensate for that with a series resistance. A 100 Ohm trim-pot would let you adjust the Voltage

Note: I haven't tried this on my bike because I have an after-market regulator.

If anyone wants to try this send me a PM with an e-mail address I can send a sketch to, I can't use photobucket from here.