12 v power socket

ridon29

Although I don't have a socket on my V11 yet, I do have on my Dr suzuki 650. The things I've found

1: pick up your power from a wire that turns off with the ignition key because no matter how careful you will forget to turn it off.

2: the lighter type plug reduces power into the gps so you can't just cut of the plug and wire it in.

3: Cigarette type plugs are common and easy but not that weatherproof even the marine grade ones.

4: A problem I have is the plug coming out, this maybe not so much on a road bike( less bumps) 

5: Try a Merit plug, readily available and more suited to the job and commonly used on BMW's I believe.

The GPS only uses a few milliamps, I tied my outlet into the park light, that's on when the key is On.

I broke open the case and just have the circuit board taped up floating in the headlight bucket.

An alternative would be a 12V USB adapter, that would allow you to charge other USB devices, it would need to be waterproof though.

Docc asked if there's a better way to reference the Voltage regulator.

Lately I have been suggesting to run it off relay 4 / 87 contact. that's pretty much direct from the battery, this will give a slightly lower charge Voltage but you can compensate for that with a series resistance. A 100 Ohm trim-pot would let you adjust the Voltage

Note: I haven't tried this on my bike because I have an after-market regulator.

If anyone wants to try this send me a PM with an e-mail address I can send a sketch to, I can't use photobucket from here.

I want to mount a small voltage meter, will this diagram show the proper way to connect a meter? 

I tried sending a PM to help with posting your diagram, but you cannot receive any messages. So I guess you have a full inbox.

• 3 weeks later...

Just be aware if you connect a GPS power supply to the battery and then unplug the GPS the power supply will still draw current, enough to completely flatten the battery in a few weeks. For this reason I have mine hooked into the headlight circuit.

As Gavo says, the plug has a power supply card inside that drops the Voltage from 12 to 5 Volts, if you cut the plug off and wire it direct say goodbye to the GPS.

Another option I have used is one of those dual output USB adapters that plug into the cig lighter, you can power the GPS from that with a second outlet for your phone.

Again I smashed the case off and wired it into the headlight circuit I tried to find a neat way of making it waterproof like a screw on cover.

I noticed that my battery voltage will drop twice as fast with the Garmin Zumo 550 left in the mount. But, you're saying the mount itself (with no GPS in it), hard wired to the battery is an electrical vampire because it is likely chipped?