Anyone went with 2" drop pegs?

furry

I am going to order a set of pegs, I've read about the 1" Buell Ulysses drop pegs that people have used and was going to get them but as I was looking I saw there is 2" drop pegs out there:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190595425416?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I'm 6' with a size 12 shoe. I could use the room for sure and the distance to the controls won't affect me I don't think. What do you guys think about going 2" instead of 1"?

Any adverse effects? I do not ride very hard/aggressive so I don't expect to drag the pegs or anything..

I am going to order a set of pegs, I've read about the 1" Buell Ulysses drop pegs that people have used and was going to get them but as I was looking I saw there is 2" drop pegs out there:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190595425416?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I'm 6' with a size 12 shoe. I could use the room for sure and the distance to the controls won't affect me I don't think. What do you guys think about going 2" instead of 1"?

Any adverse effects? I do not ride very hard/aggressive so I don't expect to drag the pegs or anything..

hi furry. i'm no expert, but i think a 2" drop would present a big PIA as the brake & shifter wouldn't be easy to adjust to that much change. not to mention possibly (don't know for sure)dragging the footpegs under (semi)spirited riding.

i just last week received in mail the stock buell lightning footpegs (1"drop). i think i'll just barely be able to modify (i hate this word) the brake & shifter to use comfortably.

looks to me as you'll have to remove about .045 off of both flanges where they slide into the stock peg mount. i have an ancient south bend lathe & have a milling attachment all set up for this, but it could be done with careful grinding/filing.

you'll also need to make bushings, as the buell peg pin holes are larger than the stock. also not sure if the springs will work, not a big deal IMHO.

i'll probably finish next week when i get home, i'll know more then.

BTW i'm 5'9" with eleven shoe, the stock peg location was never an issue, but i just had complete right knee replacement surgery, the 1"drop will help i think.

haven't heard of anyone installing 2" drop, but they should adapt to bike same as 1" drop.

cheers, stef

I agree with Stefano, 2" is too much for the stock shifter and brake pedal adjustment range. A 2" drop in peg height would mean lifting your feet completely off the pegs every time you shift or to use the rear brake. If you really need that much more room you should probably look into getting a taller seat along with the Buell pegs.

I'm 6'1" with a sz12 boot and I had the Buell pegs (3/4" drop?) on my bike for a year or two before I got sick of the shifter location so I bought the Motobits kit which I'm very happy with. If you're looking for a big change in the footpeg position you might want to check out the Motratech kit.

hi furry. i'm no expert, but i think a 2" drop would present a big PIA as the brake & shifter wouldn't be easy to adjust to that much change. not to mention possibly (don't know for sure)dragging the footpegs under (semi)spirited riding.

i just last week received in mail the stock buell lightning footpegs (1"drop). i think i'll just barely be able to modify (i hate this word) the brake & shifter to use comfortably.

looks to me as you'll have to remove about .045 off of both flanges where they slide into the stock peg mount. i have an ancient south bend lathe & have a milling attachment all set up for this, but it could be done with careful grinding/filing.

you'll also need to make bushings, as the buell peg pin holes are larger than the stock. also not sure if the springs will work, not a big deal IMHO.

i'll probably finish next week when i get home, i'll know more then.

BTW i'm 5'9" with eleven shoe, the stock peg location was never an issue, but i just had complete right knee replacement surgery, the 1"drop will help i think.

haven't heard of anyone installing 2" drop, but they should adapt to bike same as 1" drop.

cheers, stef

Thanks!! Keep me updated once you're done. Post here or a new thread with pics of the final product. I'd be happy with 1", just saw 2 and thought that would be better! lol.

• 2 weeks later...

i finished up the buell i" drop peg install today. here's what i did
the buell peg ears are too wide to slide into the guzzi peg brackets,so i machined .045(about 3/64" if you're grinding it) off each ear to make total width .875,(7/8"), the width of guzzi peg.
now i needed bushings 'cause the buell pegs have 7/16 pin holes, the guzzi uses .235(15/64")pins.
i had a long 7/16 bolt, cut 2 pieces of the unthreaded part .875 (7/8") long.
then drill a hole 15/64" thru the center of the 7/16 bushings. i used a lathe, but u can use a drill press or whatever, but be pretty careful, as the accuracy of these holes are kind of important. then slide the bushings into the buell pegs.
now u can mount the pegs to the bike.
i rode it & liked the position of the pegs, but it was kind of a PIA to shift & brake.
SO.........
i measured the distance of the right peg to the ground,(it was 1" lower than the stock peg) and determined if i cut 1/4" off of the threaded end of the linkage pin(the one that's tapered where it goes into the rear brake master cylinder)it would lower the brake pedal 1".
now the round brake pedal stop(the eccentric with the O-ring) needs to be 3/8" lower, i put a small hose clamp around it, the screw thingy for the hose clamp is 3/8", i'll machine a new stop later. brake is comfortable for me now.
NOW the shifter.
i adjusted the linkage so that the lever hit the porkchop when engaging 1st gear, then round filed a SMALL groove in porkchop so the shifter is now about 1/2" lower, i would've liked 1", but it shifts fine now.
this is a lot of words, but this is really a pretty easy job. it can be done with hand tools & a little care.
kinda think i'm re-inventing the wheel here, as many have put buell pegs on. but i couldn't find much info.
the pegs i bought were lightning xb footpeg kit(rider)
from BuellParts.NET
$48.90 with shipping
i'll try and post some photos this weekend (i'm too dumb i guess, i'll se if my girlfriend will help me.)
I don't guarantee any of this, but it works great for me, YMMV
any questions, i'll try'n answer them if i can.
cheers, stef

Edit, soon after adding the pegs i machined a 1 3/8" round brake stop and extended the brake toe pieces on the brake & shifter (as bsmarble recommended) so i wouldn't have to ride pigeon-toed, this has worked great for me, it feels very natural, and i ride a lot.

and it can all be done with hand tools (with a bit of care) 

Wow great summary! Thanks so much!! I now see that indeed 2" pegs would be impossible to shift/brake. You've given me the direction I needed!! I will use your measurments when I do my pegs in a few weeks.

Wow great summary! Thanks so much!! I now see that indeed 2" pegs would be impossible to shift/brake. You've given me the direction I needed!! I will use your measurments when I do my pegs in a few weeks.

hi furry. i seem not to be able to post pictures, i'll keep trying.

my computer augered in a month ago, lost most everything, got a new one & am having the shits of a time getting everything right. (i'm a good machinist, a lousy geek).

and you may have to remove a couple threads off of the shifter linkage rod if you run out of adjustment lowering the shifter. don't screw the rod all the way in, or it buggers the threads when it bottoms in the heim(?) joint. and you almost need tiny hands to mess with the shifter linkage, it can be done ;-)

i haven't addressed the footpeg spring issue, maybe buell ones will work, maybe someone else will know, but it works fine without them for me for now.

i'm only 5'9" but the i" drop makes a big diff for me, & with the linkage mods, it brakes & shifts comfortably 4 me. as always, YMMV.

and i see you have an early green V11. this was the 1st V11 i ever saw, in cycle world in '99 or so. it was the most beautiful M/C i had ever seen.

stef, a true believer

I have a 2000 Greenie with the Buell 1 inch drop and I am 6'3" with a size 12 boot. I used a longer bolt and a spacer in the end of the shifter and brake lever to move it out about a half inch. The Buell peg is 1 inch lower but it also causes your foot to sit out further.

I have been reading all the lowering the pegs options. I wanted to lower them more than the 1 inch options so ended up making my own brackets in an afternoon. Pegs are now 2 1/2" lower and about 1/2" further forward. Stock rear brake pedal works perfectly as all mounting holes for the peg, brake pedal, and pedal stop adjustment were lowered the same amount. A 2 1/2" longer brake rod was required ( an old grease gun plunger was the perfect doner). I turned up a few spacers and it was done. Stainless button head screws were used to attatch the new plates. On the shifter side I did have to cut and weld in a 1" extension to the shifter lever to give the correct placement. I used 1/4" 6061 aluminum for the plates and there is no flex, very solid. The result is now old BMW type comfort and my long legs do not feel cramped in any way, makes the bike a real joy to ride. I will try to post some photos, not quite sure how to do that... Ok email me at grafoster@hotmail.com and I will send pics if needed. Cheers, Graham

• 4 years later...

...hello, great looking set-up.  Where did you add the 1" to the foot-shifter?  I've been trying to find a set-up that would move them more forward (about 5.5"), but if I did that, I'd have to make major changes in brake/shifter pedals.  There used to be a vendor that did this, but they're not replying to my e-mails..thanks, Bob..

Zoup2nuts/Bob,

I think the vendor you speak of is MotraTech which was a good outfit run by John . . . . M . . ., well, "John M." He posted here as Ryland3210, - a good guy, very knowledgeable.

Graham's post above, Cafesport, is from 2011 and he hasn't been logged on for a coupla-three years. (another good guy and very capable and knowledgeable).

You can see in his pictures the "dogleg" the gear shift lever takes just before the rubberized toe contact -  this is where he added the inch.

...Thanks Doc,

Do you know if John M is still active and supplying the kits?  It would be perfect for me.  I went to his website and there is still an ordering "tool" there, I guess I could go there and order one to see if the tool is still in effect.

Also, I've read the Centauro Controls would work, would you have any idea if this is true and if so, what positioning effect would it have?

I might research the shifter legs to see if there is a stock one that might work that is a bit longer.  I've got small feet (9's), so possibly I might get away without extending one.  If I go that route, I'll make up a cheap steel template, just to see if the 2 1/2" drop would be enough (I'm thinking it will), then do a nice alum. one if it'

works out.

I'm loving the Scura otherwise.  Back in the day, I had an '84 Lemans with a full Agostini European Fairing and Krauser bags.  It was a bear to ride, but God I loved firing it up in parking garages and listening to car alarms going off.  Bob..

• Like 1