Engine Removal/Clutch Replacement How To

mznyc

...check all electrical connections and rubber hoses twice. As you crab the frame, run your hand through the 'center' space that you are creating to make sure you've disconnected all the connecting bits....

:thumbsup: - also think I said this already - but take photos of cable & pipe runs etc with an eye to routing. Also lable electrical connectors as you disconnect them. Notepad is handy to jot down note on anything that looks like it isn't obvious how it goes back together, or the order of re-assemble etc etc etc... Like post above says - it's just nuts & bolts & a steady, methodical approach will see you fine. If anything becomes a problem & you get frustrated, walk away & come back to it fresh - as many times as it takes!

Good luck!

KB :sun:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

**Update**

I lifted rear of the bike with factory stand,while the front sits in a chock and bars strapped to lift.

Removed rear wheel,swing arm,disconnected wiring,.Once I got the transmission free and mounts it just took a car jack under the sump to get the right height to slide the motor free of the studs.just a slight up and down till I got it right.once free a little wiggling and pulled sump towards my body with right head swinging underneath spine.carried to bench a few feet and wasn't as heavy as I expected.im 6'1" 195 lbs so anyone reasonably strong should be able to move it.keep in mind bike was at chest level while on a lift.from the floor this would be much more difficult.to get it back in I have a floor stand lift that I'll pick up frame,put engine on a wood block and lower frame to it.when I get to a faster connection at work this weekend I'll upload some pics.

More to follow,......

No scraping,came out clean,just stripped when trying to remove.My crappy Craftsman wrenches strike again.Should have taken JRT's advice and heated bolts first!Im gonna chuck the whole single plate set up so not worrying too much about it's condition.Yup mice,my house is out in the woods and she's mostly been sitting in the shed for a year and a half since the shifting been shite,so a mouse family moved in,bummer as that filter had very little miles on it.

The plan is to put in clutch,add and xtra ground for regulator,small fusebox,heated grips,clean all wires,frame,engine.grease all bearings and driveshaft.flush all fluids.balance tb's,check valve lash,TPS,fuel,air filters,new tires,check brake pads ,service calipers,repaint alt cover.Whew!

Over the summer I'll do a front end service,check grease head bearings,dump fork fluid .

Anyone have a recommendation for cleaning the engine and trans housing?

Cleaning the black housing: First give it a good wash with soap, then rinse and dry. Then use this stuff: http://www.autogeek.net/s1enbr.html

Looks like new!

BTW, I have an almost new air filter (1500 kms) lying around. It's yours for shipping costs.

Thanks Jaap,love S100 cleaner,didnt know about engine cleaner.Im gonna order a few cans.My Speed Triple also has a black engine so will come in handy.I'll see if I can find a reasonable price for a filter here if not I'll take you up on your generous offer.

Thanks

Michael

Wow- saw the filter and the first thing that sprang to mind was one of those old "Alien" movies.

If you are going to add wiring, add a ground wire from the headlight (or the triple trees) to the engine. In stock form, the headlight ground runs through the steering head bearings (and all that grease). I believe original credit goes to Gary Cheek who first pointed this out.

Thanks Jason,

Kiwi Roy suggested beefing up the alternator ground to an engine mount bolt also,so I think I'll look at the headlight also.

Wish I had taken your advice to heat up starter gear bolts before attempting to remove :homer: ,live and learn,....

If you have mice in the airbox then they could be munching on the wires too. I would get a can of powdered hot chili pepper, mix it with water and spray wiring loom and air filter. Dishwashing liquid mixed with water works well too. No animal will eat that stuff. I've had pets that would chew on things and spraying the items with soapy water always stopped the chewing without ever having to punish the animals.

Hi Richard

I think I tried that it didn't have much effect.they haven't gotten into the wiring ,YET,,been here for 6 years ,but doesn't mean it wont happen in the future.too many bikes,not enough time to ride them all.Have to thin the herd and seal the shed as best I can.A project for the summer,........

Hi Richard

I think I tried that it didn't have much effect.they haven't gotten into the wiring ,YET,,been here for 6 years ,but doesn't mean it wont happen in the future.too many bikes,not enough time to ride them all.Have to thin the heard and seal the shed as best I can.A project for the summer,........

If they havent gotten into the wiring I would say that it probably has worked. Those mice will destroy a wiring loom very quickly.

Hi Richard

I think I tried that it didn't have much effect.they haven't gotten into the wiring ,YET,,been here for 6 years ,but doesn't mean it wont happen in the future.too many bikes,not enough time to ride them all.Have to thin the heard and seal the shed as best I can.A project for the summer,........

If they havent gotten into the wiring I would say that it probably has worked. Those mice will destroy a wiring loom very quickly.

Yup,the previous owner of my Honda 900 had the loom chewed through by the little bastards,he home fixed it but didn't tell me till I got all the way to Georgia from New York!No issuses with the fix in 5-6 years of owning it but come on,...kinda sleazy.bike was mint other than that.