Mirror Options

Guest John Sears

Guest John Sears

Following are photos (in separate replies) of two options for mirrors for the V11 variants: the CRG mirror setup for mounting directly to the bar ends of the V11, and a different way to mount Napoleans while still using bar-end weights.

For the CRGs, I used the CRG bar-end adapter kit, but modified it slightly to try to minimize the effects of vibration. The modification consists mainly of not using the aluminum wedges and sleeves that come with the kit, and instead, using the rubber expanders from a set of Cat-Eye mountain bike bar-end mirrors (which would probably also work well on the V11 - a lot cheaper, too!). I had to cut a slit in the Cat-Eye expander, to slip it over the threaded screw shaft of the CRG adapter. I reversed the end-piece that screws onto the threaded screw of the CRG, so as to have the flat side of it pressing against the rubber expander. I also added a 7/16" flat rubber washer from Home Depot to the adapter, placed so it fits between the adapter and the end of the handlebar, to provide additional vibe damping for the mirror. I also bonded the mirror glass to the frame with contact adhesive, to keep the glass from vibrating loose.

That's it: just slide the adapter into the bar end, (it fits just right with the Cat-Eye expander), and start tightening. As the screw tightens, it compresses the rubber expander, which presses out into the inside of the handlebar tube. Keep screwing it in until it's tight, and you're ready to go.

The photos show the setup ready to install, and installed on one bar end. The CRGs are a little expensive, but very well made, and they give a bright, wide view, although a little small. The mirrors are staying tight and the images are stable most of the time, but will jitter a little at certain revs. So far, I like it.

There’s not much to say about the Napolean installation: just mount them as shown using the thru-holes in the clutch and brake levers. The stock Napolean screws and nuts work perfectly. It’s very much like having bar-end mirrors, as they are low and give you a wide-open view up front. They are very stable, too, and you can still use bar-end weights if you want. (I have been using the extra-big, heavy weights from Moto International, and they work very well, but for now, I’m experimenting with no weights at all. Not too bad, really…)

John S.

'01 V11 Sport

I have no opinion about the round mirrors but why would you install Napoleons other then at the end of the bars where they properly fit?

Also, you are forfeiting one of the most useful features of Napoleons : vibration damping.

Guest John Sears

The point of this way of installing Napoleans is that you can have the benefits of using bar-end weights, as big as you need, for vibration damping, while still enjoying the good looks and wide view of the Napolean mirrors, mounted in a position that is close to that of bar-end mirrors, and avoiding the ugly and ineffective (in my humble opinion) stock mirrors. It also minimizes the width of the bike at the handlebars.

But if you don't need bar-end weights, and the weight of the Napoleans does the job, and you like the way they look, then putting them on the ends of the bars makes sense. This is just another option...

John,

Thanks for the great photos...

If I didn't have a faired V11.... I'd definitely look into the modified Napoleans mounted on the brake lever. That looks really slick, and with my need/requirment for my Throttlemeisters, and issues with bar-end mirrors and lane-splitting here CA... this alternative mounting location is a great option! :)

...and it looks really slick too :D

Thanks again.

al

Guest John Sears

To anyone looking into the round mirror option described above, sorry - I just realized the name of the mountain bike mirrors from which I took the rubber expanders is actually Third Eye, and not Cat Eye, as I wrote in my earlier post. You can find the Third Eye mirrors in most bicycle shops.

JS