spoked wheels

dave

I have been through all the threads and have checked the parts diagrams and can only find snippets. Can California hubs be paired to Morad aluminum rims without any major hang-ups for use on an early V11 sport? i.e. spacers, axles, brake discs, cush drive mating surfaces? Which model Cali is preferable if there is any difference? Alpinas are out of my range, Mondellocycles complete packages look nice but dont offer a 4.5" rim and are still 2k, buying the separate components seems like a good way to go maybe...Has anyone actually done this? Any help that can be offered would appreciated!

Good questions, I would talk to Todd at Guzzi Tech, I think he has put the V11 Sport wheels on his Jackal. He may even know which Cali hubs to use, I think I remember him looking for the tubeless tire type hubs on his list a few years back. So he would be the man to talk to. Let us know what you find out :thumbsup:

Mike

I have been through all the threads and have checked the parts diagrams and can only find snippets. Can California hubs be paired to Morad aluminum rims without any major hang-ups for use on an early V11 sport? i.e. spacers, axles, brake discs, cush drive mating surfaces? Which model Cali is preferable if there is any difference? Alpinas are out of my range, Mondellocycles complete packages look nice but dont offer a 4.5" rim and are still 2k, buying the separate components seems like a good way to go maybe...Has anyone actually done this? Any help that can be offered would appreciated!

I have a rear wheel and front hub from a wrecked Jackal that I picked up off flea bay for that same experiment. They do fit. So the next thing would be to have them laced to a proper rim, which isn't cheap. I had a front wheel done up by Woody's Wheel Works for my BMW R90/6 project, and with the supplied hub I gave them, the front wheel was around $500. I paid $185 for the hub, so it would have been right at $700 for the front had they not given me a few hundred for the stock wheel in trade. So if the rear was just as much (and probably it will be more) you're in for at least $1500. It's mostly the parts that are spendy-I paid less than $150 in labor. I'm still going to do this, and hopefully offset the costs a bit with the sale of the stock wheels, but adding up the costs the Alpinas aren't that bad considering.

I have a rear wheel and front hub from a wrecked Jackal that I picked up off flea bay for that same experiment. They do fit. So the next thing would be to have them laced to a proper rim, which isn't cheap. I had a front wheel done up by Woody's Wheel Works for my BMW R90/6 project, and with the supplied hub I gave them, the front wheel was around $500. I paid $185 for the hub, so it would have been right at $700 for the front had they not given me a few hundred for the stock wheel in trade. So if the rear was just as much (and probably it will be more) you're in for at least $1500. It's mostly the parts that are spendy-I paid less than $150 in labor. I'm still going to do this, and hopefully offset the costs a bit with the sale of the stock wheels, but adding up the costs the Alpinas aren't that bad considering.

That sounds about right. I estimated $1400-$1500 including shipping to have a set made up. Still not cheap, but not anywhere close to Alpinas. Can you be clear about the fitment? Is it just a matter of using the stock v11 wheel as a template for lateral placement? Are there differences between Cali hubs post 99 or just the bearings, rims and spokes? Thanks for the help!

That sounds about right. I estimated $1400-$1500 including shipping to have a set made up. Still not cheap, but not anywhere close to Alpinas. Can you be clear about the fitment? Is it just a matter of using the stock v11 wheel as a template for lateral placement? Are there differences between Cali hubs post 99 or just the bearings, rims and spokes? Thanks for the help!

I wish I could be more specific as to the span of models which would fit, but my guess is that for the most part a Cali is a Cali (or a Jackal, in my case). Also of note, the front hub is drilled and tapped for dual discs, even though only one was installed on the Jackal and some others. Just a plastic blank-off plate for the missing disc. As for lateral placement, I haven't looked into it past just bolting them up to see if they even fit, and they do. That would be easy to figure out off the stock V11 wheel with a few measurments from hub edge to rim center. Bearings are the same on the hubs I've got, and rear disc, axle, spacer all fit the same.

• 3 months later...

Following up on my quest to use Cali hubs with alloy rims to get spoked wheels... it can be done!

The front wheel is straight forward except for the bearing thicknesses and depending on model year of v11, the axle as well. On my 2000 sport (with a 20mm axle) the total width between bearing surfaces narrowed by 5mm per side (even though the bearings themselves vary by only 2mm each) requiring a 5mm spacer on the left and a 20mm on the right (15mm was old spacer size). The california hub is laced true to center to an Excel 3.5 x 17 anodized rim. My stock brakes fit fine.

The rear requires a bit more. The california hub is deeper on both sides requiring not only spacers but the hub outer rim on the shaft side needs to be shaved by 4mm to allow the final drive unit to fully seat with clearance. Rotate on a shaft and grind away! (ok, that sounds more obscene than intended). I used the cush drive plate from my bike since it had longer splines. The Cali part would have worked, but why not have stronger mating surfaces, eh? The hub gets laced with the 4.25 x 17 Excel rim's centerline at 67mm from the hub's disc mounting surface. This matches the stock 4.5" rims outer centerline (the 5.5 may be different). A 23mm spacer is required for the disc side and a 10mm spacer for outboard on the shaft side. Aside from being moved inboard by 10mm (no issues with alignment noted) nothing gets done to the final drive unit. Again, my stock brake worked without mods.

These are very common supermotard sized rims so no problem getting tubes. Banke Performance laced the rims for me and was very easy to work with... it also didn't hurt that he is a guzzi guy and seemed interested in the idea. And the cost: $1250 for everything. I bought the hubs off of Ebay. Bearings were all of 20 bucks. Spacers were cut down from T3 units. The rims and spokes were from Banke Performance. Banke tells me though that Excel rims are going up in price for 2012.

motoguzzi hub conversion v11.jpg

• Like 1