Is it just me?

Warren

G'day chaps & chapesses. Warren here. I'm a newbie to the V11 forum, but have what I think is a relevant query. Is it just me, or is Piaggio trying to make the current crop of

Moto Guzzi sports bikes into a less than attractive product? To my eyes, the Daytona RS/Sport 1100i and the successive V11 variations are MUCH better looking than the

models that followed. This is not just the whinge of an old fart stuck in the (recent) past, but the (somewhat subjective) observation of the aforementioned old fart. The current

models seem to be not so much designed, as assembled from a box of spares. I do NOT lump the Griso in with the rest. It is to me a successful design.........Comments please?

By the way, I ride a '97 Daytona RS, an '02 Triumph Daytona 955i and am resurrecting a '75 Laverda 3C. And I'm 67 years of age. Or about the total age of the three bikes.

And no, I'm not flush with money. I spend a lot of it on Moto Guzzi and Triumph spares and servicing!!!

I'm sure many would agree with you. I've given up on waiting for Guzzi to build a sports bike so have bought a Daytona RS.

Stelvios are good touring bikes, Grisos are different and stand out from the crowd but the rest of the range is bland and there are no sporting machines apart from the MGS01 which is expensive and not road legal.

Guzzi has always been characterised by innovative, original thinking backed up by solid design & engineering where form follows function to create a working, long lasting product. Guzzi always ploughed it's own furrow. The current bunch just seem to be desperately chasing the market, tarting up old designs without integrity or slapping non-functioning chromed plastic everywhere.

Even the Griso - the most original & cohesive model they've come up with recently - has a frame which (as far as I can see) is designed more as a styling excercise than a stylish answer to a functional need. Why do the top tubes arch so high over the motor?

Looking back, the Tereblanche designs may be the last attempt at an original statement by Guzzi.

Piaggio seem to have difficulty finding an understanding of Guzzi, it's image & it's place in the market. They shy away from developing models that might compete for sales with their other brands - so no sports bikes.

KB :sun:

It's funny you should mention the chromed plastic. That was one of the things that put me off buying a 1200 sport rather than the V11 that I ended up with. Plus, of course, I was simply smitten with the looks of the V11. I can't put my finger on it, but it just seems more classy.

Trev

• Like 1

Dont forget Piaggio make scooters not motorcycles, thats what Guzzi's will end up looking like huge plastic scooters. You could not expect them to have taste what have they designed that is tastefull answers below please

Well, I would agree. Guzzi is having some design issues lately. I own a Griso and that is a great looking bike (that is why I bought it, but I really wanted the prototype with the 4 valve motor). But the other bikes either do not appeal to me (the Stelvio, it is okay looking for what it is but I have no use for a two wheeled SUV), are down right unattractive (Breva, Norge, and 1200 Sport(?)), or are too slow (V7 variants ).

Of course that is just my opinion. Guzzi do sell more motorcycles now then they used to, so what do I know. But while I would have bought a street legal version of the MGS01, I have not seen anything in their current lineup other then the Griso that appeals to me. I do wish I had a 4 valve motor in my Griso but I am not buying another just for that. My Griso share it's home with the wife's V11 and V65 Lario as well as my '93 Daytona. I wish Guzzi would build something new that is exciting. Maybe the new water cooled motor will be that opportunity. That could be something. Maybe they will use the new motor as a chance to redesign some things. Shortening up the total length of the motor and trans, maybe by integrating them, plus finally building a motor with modern power output would be nice Put that in a shorter version of the MGS01 or a Griso and I would buy a new Guzzi. But I am pretty sure that will not happen. I wonder when, if ever, Guzzi will build another bike that appeals to me.

...finally building a motor with modern power output would be nice....

What's power for a modern 1100/1200? 150-200HP? I don't need or particularly want that. Do most people? Torque is what makes the V11 so rideable & means they're generally able to keep up with most on roads with a few curves.

KB :sun:

On my last two visits to Mandello I have been told by someone in the know that the new "Monza" sports bike is going to be launched at Milan later in the year. Apparently it exists and has been seen in the flesh.

Still waiting.........

On my last two visits to Mandello I have been told by someone in the know that the new "Monza" sports bike is going to be launched at Milan later in the year. Apparently it exists and has been seen in the flesh.

Still waiting.........

the launch of this bike has happend so hard and fast that was faster than the light, nobody have seen it....

We are waiting for the launch of Jaap's Monza. :cheese:

It's funny you should mention the chromed plastic. That was one of the things that put me off buying a 1200 sport rather than the V11 that I ended up with. Plus, of course, I was simply smitten with the looks of the V11. I can't put my finger on it, but it just seems more classy.

Trev

That nails it for me, too - I'm sure the 1200 is nice to ride and all but it's not really *trying*.

The 1200 Sport was/is an updated Breva.The Breva,to me,always reminded me of a R Boxer.A standard that is functional.Not much sex appeal to stir your soul.When I saw that plastic on the Sport,I though,"Are you kiddin ?"I'm sure that they're a blast to ride,but they have to inspire me visually as well as the mechanical side.Hey I like a smart,reliable,emotional stable woman.But long legs,good figure and a mystifying way get my attention.

When the Breva calls,I let it go to voicemail.

When the MGS calls I pick up! :wub:

Is it just me, or is Piaggio trying to make the current crop of

Moto Guzzi sports bikes into a less than attractive product? To my eyes, the Daytona RS/Sport 1100i and the successive V11 variations are MUCH better looking than the

models that followed.

It's not just you. :oldgit:

The Daytona RS is the ne plus ultra of motorcycle good looks: it outshines even the later MGS01.

Guzzi's 90s & on bikes were Marabese designs. Yes, even the Centauro. The Griso is a pre-Piaggio design. The Breva & on are in-house post-Piaggio-takeover designs, and yes, they're very staid & unimaginative as a whole. Functional. Sexy? Not so much. <_>

The smartest thing Piaggio could do right now, is put the new QV motor into Daytona RS livery and sell the snot out of it: it still wouldn't compare with the beauty of the Daytona's original HiCam squarehead of a motor in that sinuous bodywork, but it would be better than anything they've currently got short of the Griso. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Guzzi's 90s & on bikes were Marabese designs. Yes, even the Centauro. The Griso is a pre-Piaggio design. The Breva & on are in-house post-Piaggio-takeover designs, and yes, they're very staid & unimaginative as a whole. Functional. Sexy? Not so much. <_>

The smartest thing Piaggio could do right now, is put the new QV motor into Daytona RS livery and sell the snot out of it: it still wouldn't compare with the beauty of the Daytona's original HiCam squarehead of a motor in that sinuous bodywork, but it would be better than anything they've currently got short of the Griso. :thumbsup:

Centauro was Marabese's first Guzzi commission. He went on to pen the V11s, the Bassa redux of the EV, and everything since (save for the MGS-01)...

I'm guessing that some version of the Terblanche designs will be the basis of the next "sporty Guzzi". They may not look a lot like his show bikes, but I'll bet that frame design will be the bassis of the new bikes.