Is it just me?

Warren

Yes just checked the VOSA manual no mention of CATs for bikes.

Thanks, I did wonder, but the leaflet didn't say. I haven't been able to find any separate info about motorbike test procedures on the NI sites either.

These EU proposals are very serious- basically you wont be able to even change your handlebars let alone an exhaust or wheels, unless they are "approved" parts and the mods inspected by your local testing station.

Will only apply to new bikes and if approved will ruin the aftermarket industry, and make it much harder and more expensive to alter your machine to suit your taste.

Older bikes will seem even more attractive than they are now.

The smartest thing Piaggio could do right now, is put the new QV motor into Daytona RS livery and sell the snot out of it: it still wouldn't compare with the beauty of the Daytona's original HiCam squarehead of a motor in that sinuous bodywork, but it would be better than anything they've currently got short of the Griso. :thumbsup:

If I could get my hands on a QV motor for my Sport 1100i, I'd be one happy camper!

The smartest thing Piaggio could do right now, is put the new QV motor into Daytona RS livery and sell the snot out of it: it still wouldn't compare with the beauty of the Daytona's original HiCam squarehead of a motor in that sinuous bodywork, but it would be better than anything they've currently got short of the Griso. :thumbsup:

If I could get my hands on a QV motor for my Sport 1100i, I'd be one happy camper!

Yes, if you can figure out a way to mount it so that the top-center alternator [reversion to the original loop-frame Guzzi engine form] won't interfere with the central spine on your Sporti. That's why all the new bikes whether 2v or 4v are Quotards w/ the dual spine frame: no front mounted alternator means they must use the Quota-derived Dr. John dual-spine [not "perimeter"] frame.

You'll notice I said "...put the QV motor in Daytona RS livery" not "...put the QV motor in a Daytona" A little matter of easier said than done... ;)

The benefit is that by pulling the alternator off the front of the motor & putting back up top (where God & Carcano intended ;) ) the motor can be moved closer to the front wheel, affecting the forward weight bias in a positive way [keeping the same wheelbase] or shortening the wheelbase [keeping the same length swingarm.] :luigi:

Downside of the QV motors is they reverted to a more traditional 3 shaft gearbox design, undoing the length savings of the V11 6spd [4 shaft] box. I don't know if the V11 6spd would even mate up w/ the new QV motors, so much about them has changed. What did the press release say, only 2 parts went unchanged in the QV redesign? :nerd:

Now, get an Eldo & drop a QV motor into it, woo hoo! That'll wake up the old girl! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

These EU proposals are very serious- basically you wont be able to even change your handlebars let alone an exhaust or wheels, unless they are "approved" parts and the mods inspected by your local testing station.

Will only apply to new bikes and if approved will ruin the aftermarket industry, and make it much harder and more expensive to alter your machine to suit your taste.

Older bikes will seem even more attractive than they are now.

So the EU is taking over the German system then? :angry:

It is just so silly - you buy tested parts and then you have to have the tested parts tested :-(.

Interestingly, most testers here have no clue about 'exotic' bikes like Guzzis. Mine was criticised for not having the braided brake hoses listed in the reg documents as a conversion. When I said, erm no they are standard equipement and have been since the early 90s I got blank stares. They don't even have proper documentation on the V11, which was on sale here until fairly recently - it's not like we're talking ultra exotic bikes made 50 years ago. If you dont know what you're checking, what is the ffing point?

all this approval BS is just another ploy to get at your cash.

so, rant over, happy motoring :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Warren, did not mean to steal your thread. As stated I think I agree with you.

Incidently, the company I work for set up an operation in Australia some ten years ago - they have proven the stronger section. We have just had a bunch of Aussie senior managers come over and restructure the original UK section. Are all Aussie managers so tough and brutal? - make the Americans seem positively benign.

Dunno 68C. The ones I've worked for have run the whole gamut from angels to a***holes....The worst I've had the misfortune to work for was an ex North Sea Pom! Surrounded himself with 'yes' men and didn't take too kindly to blow-ins from other places. And that was in China!!!

As for stealing my thread? Don't think for one minute that you did. I just voiced an opinion and I'm glad that so many thought it was of interest to pick it up and run with it. Cheers.

• 7 years later...