"Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" Bike

Yeah, gratuitous lesbian sex too...

Not forgetting violence, sadism & torture, described in loving detail without aim of furthering characterisation or plot. Could have been an epic story but got bogged down in vouyerism.

That's the book, not seen the film.

KB :sun:

Yeah, gratuitous lesbian sex too...

Not forgetting violence, sadism & torture, described in loving detail without aim of furthering characterisation or plot. Could have been an epic story but got bogged down in vouyerism.

In our house violence, sadism & torture are seen as totally different to gratuitous lesbian sex :oldgit:

We sadly get violence, sadism & torture every day on tv often sponsored by our masters. How pleased I would be if it was replaced by gratuitous lesbian sex :thumbsup:

Not sure I agree with you there. Yes it was violent, but no worse that any run-of-the-mill war story nowadays, and at least it treated it seriously. I think that it was one of the first scenes I've ever read that actually described sexual abuse realistically. A bit of realism in that regard isn't a bad thing I reckon, much as real combat is rarely described realistically(even in the non-fiction media), lest it upset the wrong person. And of course thereby prevent 18 year olds from enlisting.

The original swedish film doesn't graphically show the violence. but it still gives a very good portrayal of what happens, leaving the worst of it to your imagination, making it even more upsetting, of course.

The soul of the story of Lisbeth Sander is how she has been abused in every way, not just sexually. I thought it was almost the crux of the whole book.

The first book was particularly disturbing to me in detailing the brutal misuse of power on a helpless individual. I would like to think it was also disturbing to others highlighting a dark factor of humanity that can be be combated in nearly all areas by a culture of openness. :2c:

It could be that the popularity of the series is partly because the sensible if disturbing portrayal is coupled by a fulfilment of the revenge fantasy that it inevitably engendered. Would that it were so in real life :nerd:

The reviews are in and they're glowing!

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie-critic-reviews/the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo.2/

I agree I generally hate the big explosions ,inane dialogue ,and dumbing down to the audience of the Hollywood movies.Generally find European movies with they're smaller budgets and lack of overpaid stars to be more creative.Looks like Hollywood got this one right for a change :thumbsup: