Tappet damaged why? should I check Camshaft?

Olivier

Hi,

I have a 2002 V11 Le mans. I have noticed recently some "clicking" noise coming from the left head cover. I figured out the bike was due for valve clearance. I did open the head cover and found the intake valve set correctly, and the exhaust set to 0.8mm!! I did adjust (0.18mm), check the Right side, which was set correctly, closed everything, the noise was gone. 2 weeks later and about 200miles, same noise came back, from same left side...damned. I opened the cover again, intake valve clearance OK, exhaust valve clearance was at 0.6mm!! I checked if the adjust bolt/screw was loose, it wasn't. I then decided to check pushrods and tappets, and surprise, I found the exhaust tappet pretty wear/damaged and shorter than the intake one (picture enclosed). I'm wordering what could have caused this, and why only one tappet out of the 4 would have been damaged? I removed the complete head to access the tappets, but I cannot access the camshaft, without removing the timing system, I'm wondering now if I should check the camshaft to verify if the lobe has been damaged as well. Any recommendation?

Olivier

Seattle, WA

IMG_3857 (Large).JPG

Hi,

never happens to me but see it ones. the problem was the push rod. Check if it is ok.

Regard! :bike:

Look at the pic of the foreshortened tappet. The cam is f@cked.

New cam, new tappets and use some sort of ZDDP additive after the rebuild.

Pete

Any time you have wear like this on the foot of the lifter you can be assures the lobe of the camshaft is having the same results.

When assembling the NEW components use a cam/lifter lube going back together.

Use new oil and oil filter too.

And while doing all of the above, I would pull the oil pump out to inspect it as it gets unfiltered oil and could be worn/damaged from metal going through it.

What type of oil were you using in your bike?

Mike

And while doing all of the above, I would pull the oil pump out to inspect it as it gets unfiltered oil and could be worn/damaged from metal going through it.

Mike

Mike,

I use Motul 5100 ester 15w50, I buy the oil from Moto International in Seattle, and have changed oil and filter every 3k miles. I wonder if the abnormal wear on 1 tappet only could come from a deffective valve spring; if the effort on the tappet is more important than the others, it will wear faster.

Olivier

Oliver,

There have been a few failures on other Guzzi's just like what you have. The cause could be in the hardening process that Guzzi uses or from lack of zink in the oil. It is very hard to find out just how much zink is added to the oil as many manufactures don't really list it. The zink level has been reduced in many oils the last few years so that the engine oil would not damage the cat converters on cars/motorcycles. The zink is what is needed for the high rub area's like the cam lifters and cam lobes, heck, even the rocker arm tips at the valves. Many say to use a true racing oil (for off road use) while others say to add an additive (ZDDP) with your favorite oil.

Maybe touch base with Moto Internationl as they are a great dealership and may know more about this problem.

Mike

Mike

Mike,

I use Motul 5100 ester 15w50, I buy the oil from Moto International in Seattle, and have changed oil and filter every 3k miles. I wonder if the abnormal wear on 1 tappet only could come from a deffective valve spring; if the effort on the tappet is more important than the others, it will wear faster.

Olivier

Good idea, I'll check with Moto International,

My main concern, is that a new Tappet + CamShaft + misc is going to cost me $450++. I don't feel confortable replacing parts, without knowing the root cause, and make sure it'll not happen again. If the second tappet (intake) was worn the same way, I will understand the oil/zink, but in this case the "bad" tappet lost 0.4mm within 200 miles, when the other one on my left head lost 0mm. I'll check the 2 others tappets when I'll take the Camshaft out.

Oliver,

There have been a few failures on other Guzzi's just like what you have. The cause could be in the hardening process that Guzzi uses or from lack of zink in the oil. It is very hard to find out just how much zink is added to the oil as many manufactures don't really list it. The zink level has been reduced in many oils the last few years so that the engine oil would not damage the cat converters on cars/motorcycles. The zink is what is needed for the high rub area's like the cam lifters and cam lobes, heck, even the rocker arm tips at the valves. Many say to use a true racing oil (for off road use) while others say to add an additive (ZDDP) with your favorite oil.

Maybe touch base with Moto Internationl as they are a great dealership and may know more about this problem.

Mike

Mike

Mike,

Olivier

Not "a new tappet", "four new tappets".......... Camshaft lobes do go down and the lifters fail. I am not sure of the order though. The only thing you can do is : #1 use the best oil/oil filter you can get and service often. #2 use a good assembly lube when you put it back together. #3 remember the first 15 min. is the most critical part of the new valvetrain .

Once the initial issue occurred and the lifter wore thru the surface the rest of the wear was inevitable. Meaning once the wear started it was not going to stop. The amount of wear beyond the initial failure is a function of how long the motor was run after the failure occurred. If the lifter was not hardened properly the failure was just a matter of time. If the failure was oil related then it may only be a matter of time before another lifter does the same thing. I would replace all four lifters and the cam as it seems like a small price to pay to be sure the the issue is fully repaired.