Givi Tanklock Bags

7forty7 driver

• 4 weeks later...

From what I've seen/heard, the bottom of the tankbags are quite sturdy and hardly flexable. And if you have the tankpad, it'll touch that first.

I use the Givi Tank lock T489 on a ZX14 and I'm about to repurpose it to fit on the 2003 LeMans V11 I just purchased. Thanks for the heads up on the Triumph lock ring. I found when I got my T489 that it sat too far back on the tank and pushed into my abdomen when I reached for the bars - and that was at the forward further most adjustment. I took off all of the mounting hardware and got out my drill and put the front mounting position at the furthest rear mounting points then drilled two new holes and the very front of the bag, lined it all up and tightened the screws. This allowed the bag to sit about 5 inches further forward than the adjustable settings the bag came with. It is now a perfect fit, I love this bag on my zx14, I am hoping it sits as well on the new to me Moto Guzzi.

• 4 years later...

Newbie reviving an old thread here.

I have a Givi 4 liter 3D tanklock tankbag (#3D603) that I'd like to use on my '02 V11 Scura.

But between my big belly and the aft gas fill, the tankbag would sit way too far back and intrude with my reach for the bars.

So, I'm wondering -

1. Has anyone tried to mount a tankring to the 4 little bolts that hold the tank center panel on?  That would move the tankbag far enough forward to fit nicely.

2. Is there space under the tank center panel to add some rare earth magnets?  That would let me use a magnetic tankbag.

TIA !

The carbon fiber top panel is easy to remove from tank. There is room under it to mount magnets, but I'm not sure how much weight it could take. I think that CF bit is unique to Scuras - and that all the other external-pump tanks had a rubber pad there. You might be better off to fabricate something that you can attach to the four threaded sleeves on top of the tank - some sort of a plate that you could then attach the tank-ring to. Then when you use the tank bag, you remove the CF bit - and put it back on when you're done.

If I had a lot of time on my hands, I'd learn 3D printing and use it to make a nice looking tankring that would use the 4 bolts.  Could even cover it with carbon fiber look.

I'm going to have to take that panel off to take a look.  On another forum (Goldwing) someone used surprisingly few magnets to keep a magnetic tank bag quite secure.

• 1 month later...

I know this discussion has been ongoing for some time but I'm new on here.........I made an aluminium "horseshoe" to fit under the givi tanklock ring which together with suitable bolts raises it up enough to clear the tank pad while still giving the bag a solid base to fit onto.( my bike is a 2002 lemans).

I use a givi xstream 15ltr bag which sits great on the ring and is big enough for a day trip or even an overnighter if you travel light.

A small amount of fettling was required on the ring to allow the petrol flap to open but otherwise it was fairly straightforward. The bag is very secure and does not restrict movement or view to the instruments. I can supply pictures if anyone wants them.

Yam350, I would love to see pix.  My eyeballing let me to conclude that the tankbag would be too far back on the tank and would interfere with my (admittedly too large) belly.

BTW, also on the same thread - I mocked up some magnets and some steel under the carbon fiber tank pad piece.  The magnets didn't work at all because the N-S was on the edge vs. the flat.  So the magnets in the tankbag couldn't align.  Then I tried the steel plate.  The tankbag would hold on, but not at speed and not with much load.  So, experiment failed. 

The tankbag is an Oxford M1R Micro in Black.  Really nice bag if I owned a bike with a metal tank.  I'll give it to someone if you pay for flat rate shipping.

Yam350 many thanks.  That bag sits more forward than I would have thought.  Does it have more than one location for the ring, i.e. can you remove the ring from the bag and move it to another set of screw holes?