I want one

Guest Tim White

Guest Tim White

Greetings, folks.

I really want a new Le Mans. But I am apprehensive. I can afford only one bike, and I rely on riding to keep me sane. In other words, I won't be a happy camper if my brand new Guzzi cannot be trusted. On the other hand, I live near an excellent dealer, Winchester Motorsports, so maybe that will help matters.

Anyway, I have read about all the (mostly minor) problems owners have had with their new bikes, and I think I'm correct in thinking that, once past these initial defects, the Le Mans is reliable. True? Have any of you had a reliable, problem-free bike from Day One?

I want a big-block Guzzi. They sound great, feel great, travel well, and are easy to maintain. I foresee keeping my Le Mans for a very long time and putting a ton of miles on it. Please, somebody offer some reassurance!

Thanks.

--Tim

Guest Guest_dlaing

Rest assured if you don't buy one you will regret it. And if you do buy one, she'll give you more pleasure than any before her. Reliabilty is second rate for the first year than about par the second year, after that it will last longer than 90% of whats on the road. This bike is a product of evolution and solid engineering, not some revolutionary, fashion conscious, marketing scheme. Most of the things that go bad are made by companies like Siemmens and Veglia but not Guzzi. I have had just about every minor problem occur, and none of the problems have kept me from being able to ride. But do carry extra bolts and zip ties with you just in case. You hear about problems from Guzzi riders because we work on our own bikes and we put alot of miles on our bikes compared to your average Honda Owner (There are exceptions, and I recommend Hondas and other mass produced bikes, to beginners or to people who NEED more than 130HP) A Guzzi is not BMW or a Ducati or Honda CX650. It is not a compromise between those bikes. It is simply the best bike you will have ever owned (Unless the 2010 model is TRULY improved)

Happy Labor Day Weekend!

Workers of the world unite, and all buy Moto Guzzis!!!

Guest vgkerrigan

I can personally vouch for the folks at Winchester Motorsports as well. They have a great crew there who are customer oriented

and do solid work. I could'nt be happier with the way they have treated me and have my V11 LeMans running.

Guest JohnInNH

I have just under 2000 miles on my 2002 Le Mans. It has a few minor issues none of which are really a problem (well besides the speedo elbow which I have tied together with string.) But that will hold till the new one gets in.

If a drop or 2 of oil weeping, a rusting nut, or a minor blemish is a big deal to you than look elsewhere. Some people have no tolerance for little things.

If you are not one of these people, and you don't get a lemon, you will be fine. I have heard of a very few lemons, but they are out there with all brands. My VF750F was one. Frame wielded outta square, and a hand full of problems.

I have had a pile of different bikes. 1 Triumph (that was enough), 3 Hondas, 2 HDs, and 2 Guzzis. So far the 2002 Le Mans out shines em all!! :D

My 81 FXB after a ton of work was FUN, but it was 100 times more unreliable than the Guzzi (well maybe 500 times!) :blink: A trailer or pick up truck is a must have if you have HD.

But after spending a day in the Honda Ducati shop while they custom mapped my PC-III, I have to admit there are some impressive other bikes out there to look at.

Tim,

I just reached 10,000 KM on my Tenni, all of them long distance touring KMs (surprisingly comfortable seat). It's taken me from Northern Italy to Scotland and back ( not all in one trip). The only troubles to report are a minor oil leak from the timing chain cover and, an occassional stutter in city traffic. She much rather prefers the open road.

If most of my miles were going to be in the city, I might consider something water cooled and Japanese <_>

But, whose to say what it is inside us that makes us want a bike so badly? In all my years as a bike nut, Guzzis never did attract my attention as anything other than quirky or funny looking ( though I did admire the old Le Mans' Italian flare)...that is until this new Le Mans came out.

Oh...one more small problem...the Guzzi seems to have this propensity for attracting elderly males everywhere it goes when, it's supposed to be attracting comely young females :angry: although I must be fair...it has garnered some approving looks from the farer sex but, mostly it attracts older males like bees to honey :rolleyes:

Guest Tim White

Thanks for your input guys. I've narrowed my wish list to just two bikes--the Guzzi and Triumph's new Sprint ST. And I must confess I'm leaning toward the Guzzi.

--Tim

Guest Rode one . . .

Because I know everyone here is waiting on the edge of their seats I thought I'd fill you in on my quest for a Guzzi. This Sat. I rode my ZR-7 out to Winchester Motorsports and rode two bikes, an '02 Triumph Sprint ST, which I liked, and an '01 Guzzi V11 Sport, which I really liked. It was my first Guzzi experience, and only 12 miles long, but I'm hooked. I need a few months to sort my finances but I'll have one soon. Now I need to decide between Sport and Le Mans . . .

--Tim :helmet:

I test rode a Truimph Sprint back in 2000 and came away impressed with the ride and the power delivery of the inline triple. I was leaning towards either an 1150-RT or the Sprint to replace my aging but beloved FJ.

Then came the V11 and all reasoning went out the window. I'm no expert on the matter but, I think it comes down to European bikes having a soul. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my old FJ. It was a great bike and I had many wonderful trips on it. The same goes with the Honda VF-800. All the bike mags rate it as one of the best examples of two wheeled engineering...except, I feel as if it has no soul. The Guzzi has it in spades. The way the instrument panel jiggles when you start her up. The heavy agricultural thunk of the transmission as you put her in gear. The way the shaft drive torque slews the bike sideways when you blip the throttle at a standstill. The way you can wring the throttle without worrying about ending up in a ditch, as you would if you were on an R1....i wanna go ride :)

I need a few months to sort my finances but I'll have one soon.  Now I need to decide between Sport and Le Mans . . .

--Tim  :helmet:

Don't chicken out now, Tim, go all the way and buy Sport.

If you really need wind buffeting protection at top speeds you can always add this little classy flyscreen on.

Guest John Sears

Go for it, Tim! Everything these guys are saying is true. Read the forums and email lists, figure out what the issues and quirks are, make sure your dealer takes care of them as warranty issues, and ride it, and I guarantee you'll not regret it. I can speak from experience, as I'm lucky enough to have 2 Ducatis ('01 ST4 and '74 750 Sport) - both incredible machines, but I can't seem to leave my '01 V11 Sport alone! The Ducs have been getting dusty!

Have fun!

John S.

:D

Sport or Le Mans...Sport or Le Mans...hmmm...if only all life's decisions were so enjoyable.

The LM's fairing provides surprisingly good protection in spite of its retro 80's look. At least as much protection as my old FJ.

Then, the sport has that gnarly hooligan look about it...guess it comes down to whether you wanna be a tourist or a hooligan :D

I bought my 2000 V11S a year and a half ago from Carl at Winchester. Though they are 240 miles away from me, I consider them my "local" dealer.

The most serious problem my bike had was a leaking oil seal on the forward transmission shaft. They took about 6 weeks to repair it. That about drove me nuts. But that was during the time frame that MGNA was in the pits as far as warranty approvals and parts delivery to Dealers. The other minor problems the bike has had (oil cooler brackets, relays, neutral switch) were all handled well and they sent me new parts under warranty.

They have two outstanding Guzzi Techs there. Rob and Dave. The $90 I paid them for two hours labor to "nail" the tuning of my fuel injection was money well spent. They run a great shop and have taken very good care of me as a customer. I love my V11S like none of the eleven other Guzzi's before it!

Rich Maund

Thanks again to all of you for your replies and input. I'll be one of ya'll before too long. Rich, do you have a website for your seat work?

--Tim