'97 Sport 1100i Rear Shock Options

Desert Goose

• 3 weeks later...

While I do prefer Ohlins to WP, I don't think there is enough of a difference to justify spending the money on a new Ohlins unit. Unless there is something physically wrong with your WP shock I would just have it rebuilt. While they are at it they could adjust the valving and spring rate if required to improve the ride.

Another option if there is something wrong with your WP shock would be Penske. They will custom make one for you for fair price.

Inasmuch as there are no parts available anymore for the WP front forks on the Sport 1100i, there may not be any repair parts available for the monoshock either. They're a decade and a half or more older design wise and they're long in the tooth.

Other then seals and bushings, which tend to be fairly standard items, there is not much to "wear out" in a shock other then the oil. Rebuilding a WP shock should not be that hard. Fresh oil, as well as seals and bushing if required, should bring it back up to snuff. While they are at it they should be able to adjust the valving to suit if there is any area that you feel needs help. It was built to be re-buildable as far as I can tell (my Daytona has one as well) so while it may be old it should be fine.

If you want a newer shock because you want a newer shock, then I would get either a custom built Ohlins or a custom built Penske. If you could find an off the shelf shock for your bike it would likely not be valved and sprung for your needs and would need to have that done anyway.

I'm getting ready to replace my White Power rear shock on my Sport 1100 and want to know what my options are. I'd like to get an Ohlins but don't know if they even make on for this bike.

Since Ohlins shocks were standard fare on the Scura, Rosso Corsa, Nero Corsa, Cafe Sport, and Coppa Italia, I'd imagine that fitment shouldn't be an issue.

However, I really like the WP shock on the back of my Sport 1100 and can't see ever replacing it unless I just wanted the bling factor of an Ohlins.

However, I really like the WP shock on the back of my Sport 1100 and can't see ever replacing it unless I just wanted the bling factor of an Ohlins.

White Power changed its name to WP when it was (briefly) owned by Yamaha (iirc) and the whole racist-undertones thing became an issue. It's now owned by KTM, who might have the rebuild part$ available, but I'd just try for standard replacements first & only try the KTM approach if I didn't have any luck w/ plan A.

Lest we forget, at the time [early 90s] WP was considered equal to if not superior to Ohlins; definitely worth rebuilding for a street bike, I think, if not up to actual race duties in modern times. :thumbsup: