Finding TDC for valve adjustment

AndyH

• 8 years later...

No need to hit tdc exactly.  Think about it.  The cam that is opening the valves is in fact entirely circular and regular except for the lobe itself.  As long as you are not on the lobe the clearance is the same everywhere.  So just get close and you are fine.  Basically as long as the push rods are loose you are not on the lobes.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2012 at 12:51 PM, Slavomir Musilek (R.I.P.) said:

OR...

remove alternator cover, there is a 24mm nut, use 24mm wrench to turn over the crank.

Before doing this remove the plugs. You can also watch marks on flywheel - S for Sinistra (Left) D for Destra (right). Don't forger to check that the pistons are in compresion turn - in TDC the piston should be in its verytop. Check this by putting some soft wooden ply in the plug hole. Also check that the push rods are spinning free.

Voila, you have the piston in TDC and you can adjust yout tappets. Doing the other side is just the same.

Turning the nut in front of alternator seems to me bit more "profesional" and easier that turning the engine by moving the rear wheel, but of course, it is an option too!

Good luck

Slavek

Back from the dead?

You can't argue with that.

Even easier.  Use the alternator method.  When you find TDC on the right side, make a mark on the alternator fin straight up at noon, then when it goes around once and stops at three o'clock you've found the left side.  

Then anytime you set the valve all you have to do is watch the mark on the alternator.  Much easier than looking into the flywheel spy hole.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2020 at 9:45 PM, LowRyter said:

Even easier.  Use the alternator method.  When you find TDC on the right side, make a mark on the alternator fin straight up at noon, then when it goes around once and stops at three o'clock you've found the left side.  

Then anytime you set the valve all you have to do is watch the mark on the alternator.  Much easier than looking into the flywheel spy hole.

I wondered how accurate the flywheel is, there are 6 different positions the flywheel can be bolted on, with the trouble owners have finding TDC its highly likely they would bolt it on in one of the other 5, what fun you would have then lol

• Confused 1

^^^^ Mark at MG Classics asked me if I would bring out my "4V tools" when I came out to SoCal for Christmas one time. He had sent out a Daytona engine to a "guru" and it wouldn't run when he got it back. He doesn't deal with "new" stuff.

Uhh. The flywheel had been installed wrong. Hello. Earth calling..

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

^^^^ Mark at MG Classics asked me if I would bring out my "4V tools" when I came out to SoCal for Christmas one time. He had sent out a Daytona engine to a "guru" and it wouldn't run when he got it back. He doesn't deal with "new" stuff.

Uhh. The flywheel had been installed wrong. Hello. Earth calling..

Yep. The way to go is use the dead stop method and if the flywheel marks are wrong the make your own. Only need to do it once.

Ciao

On 9/29/2020 at 9:32 AM, Kiwi_Roy said:

I wondered how accurate the flywheel is, there are 6 different positions the flywheel can be bolted on, with the trouble owners have finding TDC its highly likely they would bolt it on in one of the other 5, what fun you would have then lol

I just realized, with my EV in the shop, probably to replace the oil pump, that alternator won't indexed correctly on reassembly?  I'll have to let them know. 

OTOH, I'll just use another colored marker when I set the valves again.   Then I'll have to remember what color mark is correct.  :huh:

4 hours ago, LowRyter said:

I just realized, with my EV in the shop, probably to replace the oil pump, that alternator won't indexed correctly on reassembly?  I'll have to let them know. 

OTOH, I'll just use another colored marker when I set the valves again.   Then I'll have to remember what color mark is correct.  :huh:

The alternator rotor is on a keyway so it will be in the same place.

Ciao

9 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

The alternator rotor is on a keyway so it will be in the same place.

Ciao

Thanks Phil.  Of course that's the least of my concerns with the California.