V11 LeMans Valve Clearances

Ducwad

I got out a screwdriver and rotated the flywheel (?)

that seems like it might be hard.. I take off the alternator cover and turn motor w/a (32?)mm socket. CCW when looked at from front.

Normal rotation is CW.. right?

duh! yep, just testing.. CW is right.

so a 1 1/4 would be just a little too small to fit?

oh no matter, my largest is 1 1/16. empties the hot water tank on the RV.

If you're talking about rotating the engine to TDC, I just put the bike in like 3rd gear and turn the back wheel. Not too bad with the plugs out. I guess if you didn't have a rear wheel stand that wouldn't work so well.

Ya know.. you can actually buy metric sockets. :grin::oldgit: Just sayin. 32's a big un, though.. seems like the one on the alternator is more like a 17 or 19. Can't remember, I'm old..

At any rate, when I need a big one that I don't have, I just break down and cough cough buy it. :rasta:

If you're talking about rotating the engine to TDC, I just put the bike in like 3rd gear and turn the back wheel. Not too bad with the plugs out. I guess if you didn't have a rear wheel stand that wouldn't work so well.

well that's what I do on the EV, but it has a center stand. I am sure bigg ass socket is cheaper than a shop stand.....I was looking through my tool box when I posted.

Chuck knows I am a tightwad......BTW, the green bike just pulled 16k miles.

That makes sense. Not that I'd really suggest it to anyone (and for fear of labeling myself as a little shady in maintenance practice) but for several years I was too cheap for a rear wheel stand. I used two jack stands to support the rear on the big nuts at the bottom of each pork chop any time I had to have the wheel off. :blush:

• 6 months later...

What are you guys using for clearances? The bike manual say 0.10 and 0.15 mm. I have seen others recommend 0.15 and 0.20. I'd rather run a little loose than too tight. Your thoughts/opinions?

I bought the big socket and set the valves at .006 and .004 INCHES like I do on the EV. 

I set them tight but it still clatters more than it did before I set them.

just put 20k miles on it.  I love riding it.

also used the big ass socket on the EV when I set the valves on that on.  better than spinning that rear wheel and looking at the slot machine (make me dizzy)

:2c:

Since I didn't see it mentioned in this thread I'd like to point out that it's easy to adjust the valve lash without pulling the alternator cover or looking for the marks on the flywheel as long as you can raise the rear wheel.  Here's what I do.  Please let me know if you see a flaw in this method...

- Raise the rear wheel with the factory work stand.

- Remove both spark plugs and both rocker covers.

- Roll the rear wheel forward by hand while shifting up to 6th gear.

- Turn the engine over with the rear wheel until I see the intake valve on the right cylinder open then close.  As soon as it closes that piston will be on the compression stroke. 

- Put a probe in that cylinder and slowly bump the rear wheel forward while letting the probe slip through your fingers as the piston ascends.  When the piston goes past TDC you will feel the piston break contact with the probe.  Bump the rear wheel slightly backward to find TDC.

- Check and adjust lash on that cylinder as needed then run the rear wheel through a few rotations and recheck at TDC on the compression stroke.  I use .006" (.15mm) intake/.008" (.20mm) exhaust.

- Repeat for left side.

(I checked my probe method against using a dial indicator for finding TDC and I found that I could easily come within .005" of true TDC with the probe, which is plenty close enough for this job.)

Hope this helps someone,

Tom

• Like 1

I ended up doing pretty much the same as couldn't find both the marks on the flywheel, only the S (?!) - it was clearly knocking off time at the factory :luigi:. Then put a dob of paint where the D should be.