Diagnosing Slipping Clutch Problem

Jacob Ezzell

have you determined if it's motor oil or gear lube? gear lube has a distinctive smell.. if it's GL the oil additive won't do a thing. My bet is you have GL migrating up the clutch push rod and getting flung on the clutch plates.. this is rather common on 5 speed box, not sure about the 6 speed tho.

no offense but after reading your posts I don't think you should attempt this fix alone.

no offense but after reading your posts I don't think you should attempt this fix alone.

yeah no offense taken, I've thought the same thing more than once. :) like I said, did a lot on my other bikes, had the frames fully disassembled, carbs, exhaust, forks rebuilt myself, but never had to crack into the engine or transmission. First time for everything though, right? :)

ShoNuff! I should say "you can do it!" I had a few guys tell me that and that's how I got started. plus you can get a lot of help right here on the web.

If I were a little closer I'd be there to help out.. we might ride Colorado again this summer, Winter Park and Longmont are our bases..

Hey just wanted to add a few things because I just replaced my clutch. Mine failed by the disk delaminating and rivet failure. I first noticed slippage once in a while then it suddenly changed and would not disengage at all... couldn't shift and I had to kill the engine to stop. I found that I could look through the inspection hole for access to the timing marks and see down inside the bell housing and actually see bits and pieces of my failed disk down in the bottom of the housing. I fished one of those bits out of there to identify if it was friction plate material. I'm sure there are many ways a clutch can fail so yours may be different, but if you see chunks in there it tells a story. I knew what needed to happen next. Good luck with yours.