Blown Reaction Rod Bushings

abouc

I've removed the reaction rod, and the bushings look like they are nearly ineffectual. They are blown out on both ends, inner and outer. All 4 sides look like this.

reaction_rod.jpg

This is likely contributing to the harsh jerking when rolling on and off throttle.

A few searches and a call to MG Cycle lead me to believe that it's not possible to buy just the bushings. It also would seem that there are no OEM assembly replacements readily available. MG Cycle carries a complete assembly by Stucchi. http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=2653&osCsid=23eb9414aa65c810101dd4e9fea64516

It's nice looking, but I was hoping for a less expensive option. What have others found when replacing these bushings? Maybe an automotive equivalent is available.

The deeper I dig into this bike, the more love it needs. Good thing I love it. :bike:

I've removed the reaction rod, and the bushings look like they are nearly ineffectual. They are blown out on both ends, inner and outer. All 4 sides look like this.

reaction_rod.jpg

This is likely contributing to the harsh jerking when rolling on and off throttle.

A few searches and a call to MG Cycle lead me to believe that it's not possible to buy just the bushings. It also would seem that there are no OEM assembly replacements readily available. MG Cycle carries a complete assembly by Stucchi. http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=2653&osCsid=23eb9414aa65c810101dd4e9fea64516

It's nice looking, but I was hoping for a less expensive option. What have others found when replacing these bushings? Maybe an automotive equivalent is available.

The deeper I dig into this bike, the more love it needs. Good thing I love it. :bike:

If it were mine, I think I'd be firing up the lathe and making some delrin bushings.. dunno.

Wouldn't delrin be too hard for this application? Or is the inner bushing "soft" too? Looks like its the rubber sqeezing out, and thats the cushion at both ends of the rod. Delrin is what I used to replace the missing O-ring for the foot brake stop, but cushion wasn't important there, just needed to keep the pedal from whacking the eccentric/stop. I say the answer is the same in all situations like this: The McMaster-Carr catalog. It's on line, and the folks manning the phone lines are really helpful if you're fishing for just the right thing you need but maybe didn't even know existed. Find an acceptable rubber, and back to firing up that lathe!

i replaced mine about 70,000 miles ago with derlin

10.00 bucks....works great

reaction_rod.jpg

A few searches and a call to MG Cycle lead me to believe that it's not possible to buy just the bushings. It also would seem that there are no OEM assembly replacements readily available. MG Cycle carries a complete assembly by Stucchi. http://www.mgcycle.c...01dd4e9fea64516

I have a used black OEM rod lying around, which is imo good for a few miles or more.

It's yours for shipping costs and a couple of virtual beers.

Thanks for the offer. :bier: Sending a PM.

I just pulled mine out last night and the rubber was somewhat mashed,don't know if it's still serviceable.So we are sayin the V11 is not replaceable/available,but the Stelvio's is? :huh2:

Thanks

Michael

It depends on the cost/effort ratio, but this is a pretty simple part. You could buy some heim joints from, say, McMaster-Carr and fit them to an aluminum spacer.

Bob's yer uncle.

Done.

I doubt you need rubber in there- after all you have a cush drive. I'm not certain, and I'm not an engineer, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I've been using the rossopuro bit (basically solid w/ heim joints at either end) for quite a while now, with no regrets. It doesn't feel like it misses the rubber joints even one bit, so I would think you could get something going pretty cheap if the one from Jaap doesn't work out for you.

Jaap just saved me a bunch of $$, which is nice since I've just bought new rotors and tires. :bier: When the used OEM unit wears out, I'll definitely be looking into the Rossopuro one - in RED.