Helmet Pol  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand helmet do you wear?

Top brands like Shoei and Arai are just too expensive for me.

I'm happy with my G-Max for highway and HJC for city.

Why would you pay 500$ for a helmet that you are supposed to replace after 5 years, and that studies have proven isn't safer than the 100$ one?

Are Arai or Shoei really better, in terms of noise, design, confort etc?

I agree that they're really expensive and I'm not sure that I'll get another Shoei unless I get another screaming deal on one. I got my RF1000 cheap on ebay because it's bright red (not cool?) and it had GOLDWING silkscreened on the sides. The GOLDWING paint came right off with a little work, then I removed the SHOEI logo too. I added a Guzzi eagle a while later.

The foam padding in my HJC compacted after about 3 yrs so it was too loose and moved around on my head above about 70mph. Very annoying. My Shoei is still pretty tight and very comfortable after 7 yrs. I'm not ready to retire it yet.

I come from a Justissimo to an HJC fs-shadow.

The HJS is much noiser vs Justissimo.

Justissimo fits better and not so windy.

Why do I have boght the HJC?

Dunno, just try another helmet, but I am serously thinking to go back at Caberg.

The Duke does not fit very well an d the newest I did not know yet.

hjc-fs-max-shadow-mc5.jpg

This has been an expensive thread- you made me look how old my arai is so now I've ordered another one. I guess I should say thanks, but the old lid felt and worked wonderfully- I had no idea it'd been 8 years! Can't say I've ever kept a cheap lid for more than a couple of years, so crashes aside the arai comes out cheap in the long run (and fits, is quiet, etc.)

ps I once crashed first day out in a top of the range fox trailbike lid. I was more than happy to go to the shop the next day and buy another. It did what it was supposed to.

Sorry PDoz :whistle: but you make a good point about Arai, SHoei and other top brands working out good value in the long run.

my conclusion is fit is king. Hopefully I'll never properly 'test' my hemets again and that's always a thankfully very rare occurrence. However, I wear mine most days, so comfort, wind noise and ease of visor use are what I look for - and a coo paintjob !

Pete

... I'm not ready to retire it yet.

That's the biggest problem also for me. What should I do with my actual one once I've got a new one? Bin an old but perfect helmet with Pinlock and standard visor just because it has seen a couple of years now? Besides that: what I know is that only the PC (polycarbonat) types degrade, the epoxy glass resin types are not affected.

Even I have to work some time 'till I have 400 Euros too much ;)

Hubert

I was planning on purchasing an Arai helmet til the vendor told me to try ALL brands to see what fit me. The Shoei model I purchased fit me the best.............Unless you are buying an exact replacement, you should go to a shop that will allow you to try them on.

As PeteTW said "fit is king".

Go to a shop that knows how to fit and measure your head and has a good choice in both sizes and makes. What fits best will be the best for you.

I'm on my 3rd Arai, a Chaser. For me it is all day comfortable. May be a little noisy but I always wear ear plugs anyway.

Arai do a couple of different shell shapes. The new Chaser 2, Viper GT are fine on my head but the top of the range ones are the wrong shape for my head.

Shoei always make my cheeks feel like they're being squeezed together and the front of the helmet is to close to my chin.

Shark helmets squash my ears.

So it's Arai for me but that does not mean it's for you.

A helmet that fits your head will protect it better than one that does'nt it also makes you enjoy riding by not being a pain in the head.

Just for the record, wearing a Japanese helmet on a Guzzi is tantamount to wearing white after Labor Day :D

Orson I have no idea what you're talking about :unsure:

Taken from Wikipedia

An old fashioned tradition in Canada and the United States bans the wearing of white after Labour Day. Explanations for this tradition vary; the most common is that white is a summer colour and Labour Day unofficially marks the end of summer. The rule may have been intended as a status symbol for new members of the upper and middle classes, in the late 19th and early 20th century.[1][2]

Taken from Wikipedia

An old fashioned tradition in Canada and the United States bans the wearing of white after Labour Day. Explanations for this tradition vary; the most common is that white is a summer colour and Labour Day unofficially marks the end of summer. The rule may have been intended as a status symbol for new members of the upper and middle classes, in the late 19th and early 20th century.[1][2]

Oh right...erm I'm from Lancashire so this cultural reference was way over my head!

• 1 month later...