Anybody know what this is?

johnd

Anybody recognize this part? I found it on my shop floor under my bike after changing the oil (removed oil pan) on my 2002 Lemans. Couldn't find it in the parts catalog, so I'm hoping it's from a jack or something else in the shop.

img_1894.jpg

Anybody recognize this part? I found it on my shop floor under my bike after changing the oil (removed oil pan) on my 2002 Lemans. Couldn't find it in the parts catalog, so I'm hoping it's from a jack or something else in the shop.

Don't recognise it - suggest you start bike, go for a ride (if bike starts) and then you will feel better about not knowing ... :luigi:

Gio

I'm guessing here, but it looks like it might be a cable/hose guide.

If the hole is the right size for a sump screw you might well be right. In that case, why hasn't he seen it before? We all must have had the sump off loads of times.

A

I'm guessing here, but it looks like it might be a cable/hose guide.

If the hole is the right size for a sump screw you might well be right. In that case, why hasn't he seen it before? We all must have had the sump off loads of times.

A

The hole is too big for a sump screw, about 3/8 inch. The whole thing is about 2 inches by 1-1/2 inches. I initially thought if it came off the bike, it must be internal because it isn't plated. But it could be stainless. It also had oil on it, but then again, so does everything else in the garage every time I change the oil.

The hole is too big for a sump screw, about 3/8 inch. The whole thing is about 2 inches by 1-1/2 inches. I initially thought if it came off the bike, it must be internal because it isn't plated. But it could be stainless. It also had oil on it, but then again, so does everything else in the garage every time I change the oil.

Yeah, my party trick is tripping over the oil tray just after the engine's emptied itself. That'll do it.

I think you can be fairly confident the Thing came from somewhere else: 5th dimension perhaps through a temporary rip in space time. Garages are like that. Allen keys tend to go out of this dimension the same route. B)

AndyH

Yeah, my party trick is tripping over the oil tray just after the engine's emptied itself. That'll do it.

I think you can be fairly confident the Thing came from somewhere else: 5th dimension perhaps through a temporary rip in space time. Garages are like that. Allen keys tend to go out of this dimension the same route. B)

AndyH

I just want to be sure that I get oil on everything that needs it. So I start with a nice coating on my hands, then touch everything in the garage at least once.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who commented.

AndyH

Incidentally, you can get those Allen keys back. Once you've bought a replacement Allen key, all you have to do is lose something else and the old Allen key will magically appear while you are looking for the next lost item. Just keep your receipt so you can return the new one and you're all set.

and the winner is...

01658831.jpg

Very similar, but not an exact match. But it looks like we're on the right track. I'll look for free-floating grommets on all the hoses. Thanks.