removing swing arm

motowarren

PS I may go up to take a look at piper1's bike next week Lee if you need help I'd be glad to stop by. :food:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:thumbsup: I got the swing arm off with no problems. While i was greasing the ujoints, I moved them around and the joint that attaches to trans output shaft seemed smooth but kinda " tight" in one of the planes of movement. In the other plane it seemed ok. The other ujoint near the rear drive seems good. The bike only has 5800 miles. WTF ! Is it worn out already ? I am gonna talk to a mechanic I trust and see what he thinks. Are new ujoints expensive ?  Thanks, Leon. ( This bike has been a real learning experience. I have ridden it 0 hours and wrenched  on it 20 hours. Luckily I LIKE wrenching. )

I too have tried in vain to get a grease gun onto the front unjoint grease fitting. From my failed attempts, I can tell you that you'll spend less time taking the swing arm off than you'll spend messing around trying to grease the fitting in situ. When I took the arm off and examined the u joint, I also found that one of the cups wasn't properly shimmed. By all means remove the swing arm. It's not very hard to reinstall.

( This bike has been a real learning experience. I have ridden it 0 hours and wrenched  on it 20 hours. Luckily I LIKE wrenching. )

Hmmm,.....that ratio sounds about right for a Guzzi! :grin:

I've tried this every way known. The only confidence I've had is using a needle. And with that, cutting off the point.

I made the 55 degree gizmo that was on the first page of the greasing the u joint thread, and it worked fine on Rosie and the Scura. So, I confidently was going to show my kid how to do it on his 00 Greenie. Couldn't do it. There's something different...

:luigi: Hooray !! Drive shaft is all greased up. It has been installed along with the swing arm. It appears shaft has been lubed well it's whole life. U-joints are ok !! Swing arm bearings are perfect. Everything turns smoothly. Should be ready to go as soon as I get my new air filter and rear brake caliper inspection cover installed.  I took care of the tank suck thing also. I am pumped

Bought 2 of these quick release fuel unions from BEEMERBONEYARD (Brand new 2 piece 5/16' CPC chrome plated brass quick disconnects for BMW R850/1100/1150 & R1200C and K1200RS/LT/GT fuel lines. These are made by the same company that supplies the OEM plastic units. Replaces BMW part #s 13317659120 and 13317659119. The difference is ours are the high grade chrome plated brass version with stainless internals and fuel resistant Viton O-rings. We also include 2 fuel injection rated hose clamps and a spare O-ring. These are the units BMW should have supplied in the first place. Don't be fooled by less expensive but cheaply made cast zinc parts that are being sold elsewhere. The set includes enough quick disconnects and clamps to change over one fuel line on your bike. A great upgrade for older Oilheads and K-bikes or any bike with 5/16" fuel lines! ) so I do not have to screw with the white and red gas tank fuel pump connectors. I am paranoid of breaking them. What do you think ? If we can get some decent weather I should be able to take the first ride on the Guzzi within the next week or so. Leon

Yes, only v11 sport with red frame and rosso mandello have short frame. Swingarms are all the same. 

So, this is , somehow, why the front lubrication solutions may not work on the earlier frames? Something doesn't line up the same . . .

I think the earlier 5 speed bikes had a narrower rear wheel, The later 6 speed bikes have a wider 180 section tyre so the alignment of the gearbox output shaft to the drive shaft has moved out to the right to clear the new wider section tyre.  This may be why there is a difference in access to the forward Universal joint.

Its more to do with the wider rear wheel than the short/long frame. 

The early V11 (1999-2001) also had a 4.5" rim and 170 section rear tire (many of us have switched to 160). But even with the wheel off, the front joint is a nightmare on the early V11. Apparently, more so than the later V11 with the "improved" frame changes.