How to remove rusted needle bearings?

abouc

I need to replace the rusted old needle bearings on the right side of the rear drive. Problem is that I can't get the old ones out. They are virtually locked in place. Some liberal pounding on the adjacent washer with the aid of a steel drift from the inside has only moved things enough to make the spacer loose.

I'm very worried about what all this impact might do to the drive housing. It doesn't seem like it should be so hard. The wheel bearings came out cleanly with less than 10 blows each.

Is it possible that the washer I'm placing the drift against doesn't exit the right side, but actually gets inserted from the inside?

How have others removed these bearings?

Sorry, I thought I'd replied on another forum?

The needle roller puller for the old five speed gearbox works for this job too. If you take your box to a decent shop with the factory tools they can do it or just find an engineering place with a set of expanding pullers and a FB slide-hammer.

Pete

Sorry, I thought I'd replied on another forum?

The needle roller puller for the old five speed gearbox works for this job too. If you take your box to a decent shop with the factory tools they can do it or just find an engineering place with a set of expanding pullers and a FB slide-hammer.

Pete

Thanks Pete. I'm off to find some tools.