MG 1100 Sport Steering Damper

Guzzi07

Hi everyone:

The steering damper on my 1995 1100 Sport has leaked out all its oil and doesn't dampen the steering at all. A damper if you can get it costs around 250+USD.

I was wondering if anyone has found a generic damper that can be made to fit the bike? Alternatively, what are the risks of running the bike without a damper? Do these bikes tankslap readily?

Thanks,

Jason

Hi everyone:

The steering damper on my 1995 1100 Sport has leaked out all its oil and doesn't dampen the steering at all. A damper if you can get it costs around 250+USD.

I was wondering if anyone has found a generic damper that can be made to fit the bike? Alternatively, what are the risks of running the bike without a damper? Do these bikes tankslap readily?

Thanks,

Jason

Hello Jason,

You might wanna check out Reboot Guzzi parts in France. They have a Sport 1100 right now up for parts. The owner is English so that won't be a problem in the language area.

Here's the link for the Sport 1100 parts. He still has the steering damper and it's just 42 pounds.

Good Luck with it!

Mjingen

Hi everyone:

Thanks,

Jason

Hello Jason,

You might wanna check out Reboot Guzzi parts in France. They have a Sport 1100 right now up for parts. The owner is English so that won't be a problem in the language area.

Here's the link for the Sport 1100 parts. He still has the steering damper and it's just 42 pounds.

Good Luck with it!

Mjingen

I can recommend these guys - Trible

:notworthy::thumbsup:

My wife and I have four Guzzi's total, a '93 Daytona, a Lario, a red frame V11, and a Griso. Not one of them currently has a steering dampener. The Daytona and the V11 came with them from the factory but we prefer the lighter handling that comes with the dampener removed. Plus the stock dampener on the V11 developed stiction and that made the bike wobble. I have never ridden a Guzzi that really needed one for geometry reasons. They all pretty much have conservative steering geometry.

Whether you want one or not is up to you, I would at least try it without to see if you like it. It will steer faster and lighter without it and that may or may not be to your liking.

Hi:

Checked Trible, but they only seem to offer dampers for v11s. Given I have figured out to tighten up the steering play, I guess I'll ride the bike for a while and see how it goes.

BTW GuzziMoto, have you got your Daytona going? How did the gearbox go? I ended up fitting a tonti gearbox set into my Sport 1100 gearbox case. The original gear set in the bike was actually in pretty good nick (mystery why it was so noisy through gears 1st / 2nd / 3rd), however the 3rd gear input gear was loosing its case hardening (all other gears were is great condition), so I had to swap over the gear set.

Thanks,

Jason

Yes I have got it going, thanks for asking. I have only put about 300 miles on the mods so far. The Bassa gears seem to work well in the Daytona case. Much quieter and smoother shifting. It does not feel like I expected, I thought the Bassa gears would be shorter. First gear feels shorter but the rest don't feel that different. But it had been too long since I last rode it with the stock gears that I could be wrong.

I still have a little work to do to it in order to have it for the National Rally in Buena Vista, Va. I hope to make that.

• 1 month later...

I would say you can probably go without a damper. Just remember you will not know you need it until you do! I have had 2 instances ( GSXR and an R1 ) while track riding where they saved my bacon.