"Back off" meaning

JBastida

Hi guys!

I need some help from english spoken guys.

I´m trying to do that: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12204

First of all I have to translate this post, but I have a problem. I´m not able to translate "back off". It's even hard to find it on the web.

I need a synonymous please. If possible not another phrasal verb. They are specially hardo to find.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Hi guys!

I need some help from english spoken guys.

I´m trying to do that: http://www.v11lemans...showtopic=12204

First of all I have to translate this post, but I have a problem. I´m not able to translate "back off". It's even hard to find it on the web.

I need a synonymous please. If possible not another phrasal verb. They are specially hardo to find.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

unscrew? turn screw out?

I didn't read the link but is it about the throttle stop screw? I have one of the two throttle stop screws "backed off" so that only one screw affects the idle..

Yes......You go in the opposite direction e.g. "backing off the throttle" , etc........ 99% of all fasteners are r.h. thread...when you unscrew a fastener, you back off from it's last positon.....

Yes......You go in the opposite direction e.g. "backing off the throttle" , etc........ 99% of all fasteners are r.h. thread...when you unscrew a fastener, you back off from it's last positon.....

Thank you very much Carl. Always a pleasure to here from you.

Best regards.

Martin

Another question concerning the TPS Set up an Throttle Balance Tuning tutorial:

At the begining of the procedure is writen that right throttle idle screw should be backed off. After that all actions are performed with left throttle idle screw, and nothing else is writen concerning right throttle idle screw. :unsure:

What should be done with it at the end of the procedure? I asume backed off is not its final position.... so.... should I screw it in till it contact with the piece it has just in front. This way both idle screws would be exactly in the same position, holding up the springs in idle position (when throttle conpletely closed)

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my english.

Best regads.

Martin

It's OK to leave the right side throttle stop screw backed off, or you can screw it in until it almost touches the throttle. Many use a thin feeler guage to get it close. If you screw it in too much you will remove tension from the throttle linkage which can throw off your throttle body synchronization and your TPS setting at idle.

Thankyou very much Tom!

You are very clear.

I'll try to screw it until it touches the throttle using the thinest feeler gauge, as both idle screws were touching the throttle boddies until now.

Best regards.

Why even make it close? The intent of the procedure is to defeat the right screw entirely.

Other balancing methods employ both screws, but the posted procedure eliminates it. For that matter, it could be removed.

I'll try to explain my thinking in a few words:

Once throttles bodies are balanced, there are two throttle springs pushing towards idle screws. I asume it is better, in order to keep as long as possible the correct idle setup and balance, to counteract this pressure with two screws insted of one, as this way both screws distribute pressure, otherwise left idle screw holds up all pressure by itself? That is the only reason why I think it could be better this way. :huh2:

Thanks a lot.

It's OK to leave the right side throttle stop screw backed off, or you can screw it in until it almost touches the throttle. Many use a thin feeler guage to get it close. If you screw it in too much you will remove tension from the throttle linkage which can throw off your throttle body synchronization and your TPS setting at idle.

Thanks for this, and thanks for asking the question Snr Bastida: I've just been working on my TPS and TB and struggling with the concept of the right throttle stop screw and what it does. Like nipples on men I guess... there just in case. ;)

Andy