V11 Le Mans Headlight

profWacko

Riding home from work one night, I noticed that the pattern of light from my headlight seemed to be flickering as I rode along the freeway. When I stopped to check it out, I discovered that the little metal reflector in front of the bulb was loose. When I got home, I thought that I could just tighten up the screw that holds it in, but I found that the plastic boss that it screws into had shattered into a few crystalized pieces.

I had my dealer order a a replacement under warranty, and then decided to fix my original one if I could. I was able to re-mount the metal reflector by drilling through the plastic boss and, using a piece of the broken threads for a spacer, I bolted the thing together with a small machine screw and nylon lock washer.

Has this failure happened to anyone else out there in V11 Le Mans Land.

Ride well. Ride safe.

-Jack Price

Glendale, CA

02 V11 Le Mans (turned 26k miles today, running stronger than ever)

Yep, I've been keeping an eye out for this one on mine too(knocking on wood).... :unsure:

I haven't personally had this happen so far, but I have heard of this on several other V11 bikes before. Many people have had this repaired under warrantee, or like yourself just fixed it themselves... but in the end, it always broke again from the vibration, etc...

The advice I've seen is to eventually just give up and take it out... as apparently it makes little difference because most bulbs are coated on the tip to eliminate direct glare anyway.

al

• 2 weeks later...

Bonjour,

Mine is ok,never broken but I think the original headlight is not very strong and I've replaced the original bulb by an (illegal) 100 w and now with my black Le Mans I'm the prince of the darkness !!

These bulbs come from Rally cars equipments. I've do the same for my Speed triple Triumph, and it's perfect .

Rocket3

France

:sun:

Yup, happened to me twice and had the healight replaced twice. So far so good but Im not sure if it will hold. I think the next time I will just get rid of it. I noticed that the lens is held on via a metal wire mesh that looks like a bitch to put back on once removed. Is that the case?

Jim

I dont know about the Lemans,but its no big deal on the sport.I had mine out and the sheild removed and back on the bike in about 25 minutes.Sometime's look's are decieving...that's what I like about Guzzi most thing's are easily repaired if you have just a little mechanical apptitude.But then what do I know after spending 3 days looking for a short only to find I had water inside one of the relays :doh:

• 1 month later...
Guest Squashed Nose

I'm suffering from this at the moment. It is far worse on main beam than on dip and, as about 10 miles of my journey to/from work is unlit it can be a little irritating.

The first headlight (which was replaced under warranty because it leaked water) didn't suffer with this problem but the replacement does (which doesn't leak water)

Thanks guys, I'm going to get another headlight under warranty!

Guest marcialc

same thing happened to me :doh: the metal reflector had completely sheared off inside the headlamp. I diassembled the lamp and took out the reflector...but not after showing the dealer first. He promptly ordered a replacement headlight under warranty.

I'm not sure a new headlight is going to solve the problem though, just delay it until it happens again...I think its a design flaw in the reflector connection. If this has happend to you also, get a new headlight replaced under warranty. Until guzzi properly fixes the reflector, they'll just have to keep absorbing the cost of these defective headlamps...maybe that'll send them a message. :lol:

...mine hasn't fallen off yet.... yet.......

...but my lens is a bit foggy, with some strange "tendrils" of mist sorta spreading on the inside. Don't ask, I have no idea :P

I guess I'll take it apart at some point and clean it :rolleyes:

al