LeMans or Scura?

DrDesmo

I've owned several sport Guzzis over the last 40 years, one being an original 850 LeMans and best being a V-7 Sport. I've started back in bikes and am looking to get on another sport bike. I can't make up my mind between a Lemans V11 or a SCURA. Both bikes I'm looking at are 2002 and both are within a few buck of each other. I've been riding a Laverda RGS or a Ducati ST4S-both excellent but I like the Guzzi character. Somebody give me some guidance. Do I want the faired LeMans or the bikini SCURA?

The Scura has Ohlins suspension and a more aggressive (single plate) clutch/flywheel that some say might be problematic. Scura is more exclusive.

Thread here on Breakdown of Model Year Changes

And a current, ongoing thread: Thinking about a 2002 LeMans

Unless your heart just draws you to the style of one over the other, I would look closely at maintenance records and "improvements" as indicators. You'll appreciate an exhaust upgrade to tap into that Guzzi character. May be a factor if one has a system and the other not.

I've owned several sport Guzzis over the last 40 years, one being an original 850 LeMans and best being a V-7 Sport. I've started back in bikes and am looking to get on another sport bike. I can't make up my mind between a Lemans V11 or a SCURA. Both bikes I'm looking at are 2002 and both are within a few buck of each other. I've been riding a Laverda RGS or a Ducati ST4S-both excellent but I like the Guzzi character. Somebody give me some guidance. Do I want the faired LeMans or the bikini SCURA?

Uh.................The Scura is so hot with the matte black paint. What is not hot, is the LaBrea Tar Pit coating on the engine block.

Depends on what you want- a fairing or better suspension.

You've had an ST4s (I had one too) and the suspension is fabulous. It is better than the stock V11 suspension (not 'light years better'- just 'better'). Just based on that experience, I would say go for the Scura and add a fairing to it if that's what you want. However, the fairing on the LeMans is supposed to be nice (I have no experience) and you could add aftermarket suspension or have it tuned to your preference, so that might be the direction you want to go. Crap, I just talked you into getting both.

Bottom line- they are both good bikes and you would enjoy either one.

Do I want the faired LeMans or the bikini SCURA?
well... its simpilly a personal decision, same bike fairing you or not... theres ya answer.

Fairing wins. Upgrade suspension later but not too much later.

Thanks

I love the look of the Scura and the Ohlins suspensions rocks,but,the clutch should be changed to a RAM replacement or OEM twin plater, so you have to factor that into cost if it hadnt already been done by the PO.Many cases of the stock clutch grenading.

If you go for an 04,Nero,Rosso,if you want the fairing,Cafe Sport if you want to go naked.Most issues were sorted by then.

Before

DSCN3632.jpg

Current state in the clutch swap

DSCN3680.jpg

..Current state in the clutch swap...

Michael, while you've got it apart...what state are your swingarm bearings in? Also - did you check alignment of the driveshaft halves?

KB :sun:

..Current state in the clutch swap...

Michael, while you've got it apart...what state are your swingarm bearings in? Also - did you check alignment of the driveshaft halves?

KB :sun:

Both good Keith :thumbsup: ,feel free to make any other suggestions as Im sure Ill forget sompthin

• 2 weeks later...