Ferguzzi sed:

I don't know why military aircraft are sexier then civilian ones, they just are.

Its because the military aircraft aren't built to a budget in the sense of being economical to operate: they are built to flat out excel, ie: right up to the bleeding edge of the available technology [& sometimes beyond!]

Can't really compare the civvy aircraft w/ that, where so many compromises are accepted willingly to make the thing economically viable [which none of the military aircraft post-WW1 ever took into consideration.*]

* - I say "post WW1" because some of the military aircraft in that conflict were built w/ the long view of being the best they possibly could be with the expectation that the design would continue to be built after the war for the civilian market, leading to things like the Liberty engine, airmail in the '20s, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

True enough Skeeve, although from all the crap I've been hearing about the F35, I think that's changed and we've entered a new era. I've been lucky enough to have dealt with a few astronauts over the years . The space shuttle was definetly built down to a budget, maybe that's why it's never done much for me!

The space shuttle was definetly built down to a budget, maybe that's why it's never done much for me!

You should have seen the original proposal, with the shuttle strapped on the back of the big mother ship: that really had legs. Better reusability, lower fuel costs, better launch capability. C'est la vie...

• 1 year later...