Yup,..another odometer thread..

nudemetalz

.....and yes mine failed a long time ago. My WOF testing station are telling me I really should get it fixed, so,..off it went to the speedo repairer who took out the remaining chunk of plastic that once was a gear and said "nope can't do it". Not really surprised....

However, before I bore you,..I have another enquiry regarding fixing it.

I was looking at a 1997 Ducati 900SS which has a white -faced Veglia Borletti speedo. It looks very similar. The same dimensions, the same 30, 60, 90 km/h graduations, the same two-screw mounting wholes for the plate, the same cable type..the only difference is the markings that the Guzzi one has to say it's a Guzzi.

How compatible are they? Can I use the guts of that and get the plate of the Guzzi one put in on it's place of the Duc one?

Or is the internal gearing different, seeing as the Duc cable is wheel-driven and the Guzzi is gearbox-driven?

900SS_dashboard.jpeg

lminstr2.jpg

i feel your pain. i put a wee bit if silicone on the trip odometer shaft, so it's not unscrewing itself anymore, works fine now.

but....the main odometer just quit, sheesh....

i've been using a sigma bicycle speedo/odometer on the old beemer since the odometer on it failed after 66,000 miles.

i just bought one for the Le Mans, will be installing it soon.

they work great, are very accurate and only cost about 20 bucks.

good luck, s

The Guzzi is driven by the infamous "bevel drives" (failure prone of themselves), but the internals should be the same and, once apart, you could likely swap parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Well update time:-

Got the speedo back from the repairers.

Had the 1997 900SS Veglia speedo odometer gear put into my Veglia speedo.

The odometer seems to work now,...but the speedo seems to only read 1/3 to 1/2 of what it should (ie reads 30km/h instead of riding at approx 60km/h)...

This surprises me as I believed that the odometer gear wouldn't affect how the speedo ran. Mind you, I'm unsure how accurate the odometer actually is based on hwo the speedo runs.

Any thoughts? Would it actually be possible that the odometer gear out of the Duc speedo would be that much different to the Guzzi one.?

Well update time:-

Got the speedo back from the repairers.

Had the 1997 900SS Veglia speedo odometer gear put into my Veglia speedo.

The odometer seems to work now,...but the speedo seems to only read 1/3 to 1/2 of what it should (ie reads 30km/h instead of riding at approx 60km/h)...

This surprises me as I believed that the odometer gear wouldn't affect how the speedo ran. Mind you, I'm unsure how accurate the odometer actually is based on hwo the speedo runs.

Any thoughts? Would it actually be possible that the odometer gear out of the Duc speedo would be that much different to the Guzzi one.?

That is odd, I always thought there was a standard gear ratio for the inside of a speedo.

If the km reads correct it should be spot on, they didn't change out the face did they?

I have plans to remove the bevel gearboxes on mine at first sign of quitting, I have a longer cable someone gave me.

I have to remove the gearbox at both ends otherwise it will run backwards.

Been doing a few things trying to nut out the problem.

I put the Ducati speedo in temporarily and took it for a test ride to see what would happen.

It was exactly the same. This all led me to believe the problem is either the cable, the bevel drive attached to the speedo or the connection from the gearbox.

Now the speedo is all in one piece,..and both connections appear to be okay.

I'm positively stumped now.

Would it be that the speedo needs more magnetism to be calibrated correctly?

Well, got the speedo all fixed now.

Problem was the nylon gear was falling off the back of the speedo into the bevel box and only just making contact with the bevel drive for the cable. Hence the reading up to 30km/h and no more issue.

Took me a bit to figure that out after stripping down both ends of the cable and numerous testing,..plus completely stuffing one gear !!

What I can tell you is that a 1997 Ducati 900SS Veglia speedo (white face) has the exact same guts inside it as the the Guzzi one (that is including the odo drive). Bought a Duc one pretty cheap and got the drive put in mine. Works a treat.

The Duc ones would be far more plentiful than the Guzzi ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a good replacement for the bevel drive (transmission end)? Mine seized up in June, so now the odometer is a few thousand miles off. Can't seem to locate that part anywhere.

The bevel drive is essentially the same for both ends except that the transmission end has an insert that screws onto the transmission and the insert fortunately doesn't fall apart like the gears inside. So if you can't get hold of the transmission end part (GU04768300) which they say has been discontinued, buy the (admittedly expensive) part (GU23768310) that goes into the back of the clock and pry out the insert from the old transmission end part and press it into the new part. That's what I've been running for a few Thou miles so far with no problems.

BTW may be teaching to suck eggs, but before you sling it all back together, get a new speedo cable (the cable's the cheap bit - comparatively) and lube it up well with white grease and route it as smooth and straight as possible to prolong the life of the fragile bit. I can speak from experience: it seems to make a difference.

I actually have the correct part which I got from Wendel http://www.1000ps-web.de/KUNDEN/MOTOGUZZI/wendelmotorraeder.de - they may still have one in stock. It's in a locked lead lined box hidden under a large rock but looks like it'll stay 'on the bench' until my current one goes.

Andy H