1100 Sport Cosmetic Upgrade

dagersh

Hi Guys,

Ever since I got my Metallic Olive '97 1100i Sport, I have thoroughly enjoyed the ride and the lines of the bike, but I felt it was lacking in quality parts at the cabin. The clunky plastic mirrors really annoyed me as well. At first, I put on my leftover stock mirrors from my Rosso Corsa after installing some mock Carbon Fiber looking ones to that. They worked much better, but still look out of place, and too chunky on the low slung fairing. I have since ordered mirrors from this seller on Ebay:

MCMotorparts

They look to be aluminium and have a nice "weave" effect to them. I have not received them yet, but I will update with pics as soon as I install them.

Anyway, on to what I have done... I have always wanted to deck out the bike with Rizoma parts, especially the grips and turn signals. I had contacted Rizoma USA to see whether or not they knew if their Grips and Throttle Tubes would work with the 1100i. Of course, they had no idea - and nobody carries this stuff in stock. So ifigured, it worth a try, and that I would be able to make everything work. So I ordered the Sport Line Grips and the Avio 21 Signal Lights.

Qualitywise - you get what you are paying for. The units are all really beautiful. The signal lights come 1 per pack, and each has 2 resistor packs should you need them. The Rizoma units mount via M8 bolts and have a nice rubber base to keep vibration to a minimum. A washer and nut tighten everything down - just make sure you thread the wires through the washer and nut first! On this install, I only needed 1 resistor in-line for each the left and right circuits. I installed them at the rear, as there is more room to put them. I did however replace my stock mehanical flasher unit with an electronic one. At the front, I used a circular file to slightly widen the front opening where the wires from the factory T/S's fed the wires through the fairing plastic. At the plastic rear Hugger, the opening is large enough and flexible enough to simply thread the M8 bolt right in.

Here is the result:

580746_10150972872068443_85067703_n.jpg

603681_10150972872193443_314200447_n.jpg

557242_10150972979408443_1095279954_n.jpg

553656_10150972979698443_340435552_n.jpg

536567_10150972979788443_331194369_n.jpg

Here you can see how bright! Much better and cleaner than stock – at least IMHO…

The Sport Line Grips were also an easy install. Use the largest throttle CAM and the spacer that comes in the package – there are 3 different size CAMS plus a spacer. I also bought the Rizoma end caps and installed them. I might need to go with heavier weights, or I might stuff the clip-ons with shot to keep bar vibration to a minimum.

I very much like the look.

576223_10150972872773443_520522999_n.jpg

You can also see the matching Pro-Tek Reservoir Cover for the Brake.

I will update this when I get the new mirrors on.

Gersh

I have the same bike and color. I like the grips, not the turn signals, look like they belong on a spaceship.

I have the same bike and color. I like the grips, not the turn signals, look like they belong on a spaceship.

I like them much better than the Stocks. Very, very bright. and they tighten up the look - for me. I installed the new mirrors, and they look great as well.

I will post full shots of the bike this weekend.

Gersh

If you like them, that`s all that matters. Of course with the price you paid for Rizoma stuff, it`s a good thing you do. Remember putting currently styled parts on a somewhat old bike is not always a match that is going to work. Often times just looks awkward. Like putting super nice and expensive 20 inch rims on say a 1960's Chevrolet station wagon.

Here is the finished product with the mirrors. The Rizoma Throttle works great and feels good as well. I was a bit worried about the fact that the throttle CAM on the Rizoma unit is smaller than stock - but it works just fine, and has full range of travel. The Signal lights are super bright in the daylight, and have lenses on the sides, so they are easily visible from all angles. The mirrors are quality in that they are heavy units and have very little vibration when travelling. Their visibility is excellent as well. You will need to be ready to fiddle with them to get their adjustments, but once there, they will not move themselves out of alignment.

Anyway - I am very happy with the results. Would I use these units on one of my early 70's Tonti's? Definitely not... nor on a later Le Mans, Lario or other 80's or 90's model. However, the 1100 Sport is modern enough to carry the Rizoma products. Really, I am submitting this for anyone who would want to use these on later model Guzzi's as the Rizoma catalog makes no mention of being able to be used on our bikes. The Throttle unit can definite be used on early 2000's V11 Sports and Le Mans' as well.

Next up will be the Rosso Corsa!

Pics:

484450_10150975212678443_42140721_n.jpg

550991_10150975212903443_633857143_n.jpg

404054_10150975213083443_1219687774_n.jpg

425116_10150975212443443_1863016035_n.jpg

Gersh

Looks good! I have the Rizoma throttle/grips on mine as well. You're right about the catalog not showing fitment but I called the distributor and he said it would work, and it definitely does. Very high quality, as it should be for the price.

• 9 months later...

Thanks Guys!,

The mirrors are not Rizoma, but thanks for the compliment!  They are from an Asian retailer, out of Hong Kong if I remember correctly.  EDIT:  The link is up top.

I did research using Rizoma's, and I found one mount that would work fine.  Measure out the distance between your mounting bolts on the fairing and look at the Rizoma offerings.  There is one that will fit just fine.  On retro spect, I should have gone with the Rizoma's, as the gold of the mirror stalk does not really match up with the gold of the Rizoma Gear, and looks cheaper in comparison.  The Hong Kong mirrors were around $100 shipped for the pair as opposed to nearly 3X that for the Rizoma's - but you get what you pay for there.

I did notice a Chinese Knock-off brand called Pazoma on Ebay, but don't know much about them.

Gersh

Hi Gersh,

Thanks for letting me know - would you mind letting me know which Rizoma mount would be best for an 1100 Sport?

I am currently having a twin headlamp fairing made for my bike, I will post development pictures soon.

Aldo

Aldo,

I believe its the BS722B.  the holes are 26mmand I am measuring around 24mm on the bike.  You might have to adapt the mount by widening the holes - but it should get you there,

Post some pics!!!

Gersh

Hi Gersh,

Thanks for letting me know - I will post some development pictures soon. I am also about to commission having a larger aluminium fuel tank made as I find the range on the original requires refilling too frequently.

Watch this space!

Aldo

• 10 months later...