8V Engine issues

DVH

I'm looking into getting a 2011 0r 2012 1200s.

Has the issue with the cams etc been put to rest

or are there monsters still lurking.

is there any specific engine number that is sure

fire no longer having problems.

I've been holding back on buying one of these

for a while .

looked at a couple of stelvios up for sale

and noticed they have a very heavy clutch.

is this normal, or a clean and lube job.

they all had between 12--15000 miles on

I'm looking into getting a 2011 0r 2012 1200s.

Has the issue with the cams etc been put to rest

or are there monsters still lurking.

is there any specific engine number that is sure

fire no longer having problems.

I've been holding back on buying one of these

for a while .

looked at a couple of stelvios up for sale

and noticed they have a very heavy clutch.

is this normal, or a clean and lube job.

they all had between 12--15000 miles on

In the US the cam issue seems to be resolved. But in parts of Europe like France they still seem to have an issue. Not sure why. I think the mechanical reasons for failures have been identified and a solution is available. But for some reason or other there still seem to be people reporting issues. Not many, and they seem to be in certain regions. Possible bad dealer support or lack of proper oil? I don't know.

I don't find the clutch heavy on my Griso, it is about the same or better then the other Guzzi's I have. It is a nice hydro clutch. About the only part that needs lubing is the clutch lever pivot. But I don't know about the Stelvio. Never had an interest in a motorcycle SUV. Somewhat useless.

I still remain convinced that the problems associated with the early 8V motors were induced by poor set-up, ignorance and sloth on the part of the selling agencies. Yes there were some soft tappets but even bikes like mine that had them didn't fail unless other things were neglected.

I don't do anything *Special* to the bikes I look after but I've never had an 8V that has been serviced in my workshop fail, including early A5 motored bikes.

Set-up and tuning is vital, proper PD and inspection of things like the valve clearances and tune at the first service are also paramount for the bikes to run correctly and I'm still getting bikes sold by supposedly reputable dealers coming in with both air bleed screws open and their 'Sacred Screws' messed with. It's really pretty inexcusable.

Why bike's continue to fail in Europe I really haven't a clue but if they have failed you can't just replace the cams and tappets as the factory suggests. You HAVE to clean out the sump, back flush the oil cooler and lines, blow out the oil galleries and inspect the oil pump otherwise you might as well not bloody bother.

Pete

Thanks pete and GuzziMoto for your replies

the local dealer is supposed to be good, or he was when I had my V11.

I might have a off the cuff discussion, and ask what they do if a bike is

brought in, and if they follow the Guzzi procedure.

Or carry out the additional work as recommended by pete.

watch this space as they say

Dave

Thanks pete and GuzziMoto for your replies

the local dealer is supposed to be good, or he was when I had my V11.

I might have a off the cuff discussion, and ask what they do if a bike is

brought in, and if they follow the Guzzi procedure.

Or carry out the additional work as recommended by pete.

watch this space as they say

Dave

Dave, if you are thinking of a 2011/12 bike then I'd be confident that it will be good.

As for asking a dealer what they do and whether they follow procedure, or even PDIs, I think that any such verbal assurance is useless, unless that dealer is a close relative or you know and trust them very well. I've been told those things and it just wasn't true, or procedures were only partially done.

Pete, mine ate its tappets to disaster at less than 2,500 miles. They must have been shedding metal from day one.

The parts must have been bad, though I can also believe that set-up was bad too and that, for example, the valve / tappet gaps could have been out. I subsequently found them to be badly out when I checked following later dealer work.

As a matter of interest, when you get bikes in with the sacred screw messed up, do you have a procedure to get it back to ballpark, or what do you do, if anything? Though I understand that it can never be completely right again, I'm definitely happy that I got mine much better after doing all the work with the Axone and a balancer. I do not understand why Guzzi don't cap it so that it can't be fiddled with.

Yellow paint just isn't adequate. whistle.gif