Greasing the drive shaft

thebronze

19 minutes ago, KINDOY2 said:

Thanks for the tip..pulling my trans on the Scura next week so I will definitely do that!! Great idea!

You can do it on the Scura without modding anything.

KINDOY2 suggested to me that the big, honking notch in the collar gets the grease gun in > in front < of the swingarm (instead of through it).  Like, in from in front of the frame sideplate? :huh2:

All this time and I must have missed that part . . . :mellow:

19 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Yeah, WTH? What is that different on the LongFrame that this is not really an issue like on the ShortFrames?

Access through the swingarm tunnel from behind, correct?

I dunno. The Kid, when he had Low's Greenie said he couldn't grease the front U joint. I took my rig that I'd been using on the Centauro and the Mighty Scura for years to his place. Tackled it with a grin.

I couldn't do it, either. :huh2:

*Something* is different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I dunno. The Kid, when he had Low's Greenie said he couldn't grease the front U joint. I took my rig that I'd been using on the Centauro and the Mighty Scura for years to his place. Tackled it with a grin.

I couldn't do it, either. :huh2:

*Something* is different.

"The struggle is real." <_<

IMG_3094.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

@Chuck , is the grease gun access on the Scura (LongFrame) through the swingarm tunnel from behind?

From memory :rolleyes: yes. I don't remember whether the bike has to be on the work stand or have the weight on the rear wheel, though. Looking through my maintenance logs, the last time was 4 years ago. I have a hard time remembering yesterday.. :oldgit:

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

From memory :rolleyes: yes. I don't remember whether the bike has to be on the work stand or have the weight on the rear wheel, though. Looking through my maintenance logs, the last time was 4 years ago. I have a hard time remembering yesterday.. :oldgit:

:huh2:

15 hours ago, docc said:

KINDOY2 suggested to me that the big, honking notch in the collar gets the grease gun in > in front < of the swingarm (instead of through it).  Like, in from in front of the frame sideplate? :huh2:

All this time and I must have missed that part . . . :mellow:

I meant possibly if the hole were modded like Andy mentioned...Dont think you can do anything from there like it is.:bier:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chuck said:

+1

Ciao

• Haha 1

I did find this image, posted by @kglm in Finland in 2015 (page 4 of "that bloody farking front UNI" thread by dangerous). Has me thinking an added collar notch is for access from the front, ahead of the swingarm and not through the tunnel. Sorry it has taken me so long to understand this distinction . . .

DSC00422greasing.jpg

42 minutes ago, andy york said:

here is the cut out I made on my LeMans

IMG_0233.JPG

The idea behind the universal joint cover is to retain the joint in the event of failure or partial failure, just ask docc. By hacking a lubricating window in the cover you have negated this function as the idea is a round smooth ring to contain the failed joint without areas for it to grab on and cause more carnage. Not a great idea. 

Ciao

11 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

The idea behind the universal joint cover is to retain the joint in the event of failure or partial failure, just ask docc. By hacking a lubricating window in the cover you have negated this function as the idea is a round smooth ring to contain the failed joint without areas for it to grab on and cause more carnage. Not a great idea. 

Ciao

I wonder just how small the access window could be? Certainly only as wide as a grease gun tip (maybe 1/2"/12mm) and perhaps even 1/4"/5mm relief from the aft to get the tip on the Zerk from ahead of the swingarm?

3 hours ago, docc said:

I wonder just how small the access window could be? Certainly only as wide as a grease gun tip (maybe 1/2"/12mm) and perhaps even 1/4"/5mm relief from the aft to get the tip on the Zerk from ahead of the swingarm?

Yes docc the hole idea would be the best answer. As long as it had some edge margin.

Ciao