Greasing the drive shaft

thebronze

here is the cut out I made on my LeMans
IMG_0233.JPG.e78178e1f2cf75f503ca5ccdc7631aae.JPG
When you have a moment Andy, could you please take a more clear close-up photo? It's difficult to see where the zerk is. Thanks.

Working for food, the misses don't mind greasy fingers. Wheel of, divide the shaft so I can realy move the joint's around, grease medicin. Helps a bit for zerk access, shaft hanging, I hold the g gun on tight, and misses to work. Yes it will be messy later with all the right sounds from the joint's.
I do it the same way both Greenie and Rosso Corsa, not to bad, I think.

Cheers tom.

Sent fra min SM-A505FN via Tapatalk

Working for food, the misses don't mind greasy fingers. Wheel of, divide the shaft so I can realy move the joint's around, grease medicin. Helps a bit for zerk access, shaft hanging, I hold the g gun on tight, and misses to work. Yes it will be messy later with all the right sounds from the joint's.
I do it the same way both Greenie and Rosso Corsa, not to bad, I think.

Cheers tom.

Picture coming, interweb

f15d6673fa30aa61223c45dbf0327f53.jpgd9b2444a4a72b79c25486b7592193bc4.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 4corsa said:
On 1/5/2021 at 4:51 PM, andy york said:
here is the cut out I made on my LeMans
IMG_0233.JPG.e78178e1f2cf75f503ca5ccdc7631aae.JPG

When you have a moment Andy, could you please take a more clear close-up photo? It's difficult to see where the zerk is. Thanks.

As soon as I can....she is in the back of the garage...hard to get at. I guess I will start posting a disclaimer on my "hacks".

I am not responsible for what happens to you.

Yes... I put another access point in the u-joint cover...and yes I know what the u-joint cover is for. oh and yes I accept responsibility for my actions. I hope it enables you to grease the u-joint and go 130,000 miles just like me.

:oldgit:

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
13 minutes ago, cash1000 said:

Will the thru the swingarm method work for an 01 Rosso Mandello?

What with it being an early ShortFrame, I would be surprised. Do tell if you can find some way to make that happen short of pulling the swingarm or . . .

IMG_3094.jpg

• Haha 2

I looked at my red frame ( I am pretty hard headed ) a long time & short of enlarging the shield , you will have to remove the shaft . 

Now , I am more than ready to be proved wrong .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cash1000 said:

I thought as much

Mines way overdue for getting some grease in the front nipple

If anyone in New Zealand with a long frame V11 wants a right angle coupler you can get them from

Macnaught KDR Right Angle Coupler - NZ Safety Blackwoods 

So, that will only work from the front of the frame side plate once the driveshaft retaining shield has been relieved/ cut for access?

6080cf3f368d25.75778822.jpeg

As soon as I can....she is in the back of the garage...hard to get at. I guess I will start posting a disclaimer on my "hacks".
I am not responsible for what happens to you.
Yes... I put another access point in the u-joint cover...and yes I know what the u-joint cover is for. oh and yes I accept responsibility for my actions. I hope it enables you to grease the u-joint and go 130,000 miles just like me.
:oldgit:
Andy, did you ever get the chance to take a better photo to share? Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I danced around that one hidden grease fitting forever, I had slim couplings, 90 degrees, side fit 90 degrees, 360 swivels,needles, etc, etc. I bought every possible coupling fitting I could find locally. Nothing worked.

Here's the one that finally worked for me. It's a very cheap made in China 180 swivel, I had to disassemble it, and only used the swivel part on my grease gun, but very gratifying instant success.

I'm sure that your local Harbour Freight or similar store probably has something like this, fwiw fyi

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-180-degree-swivel-grease-gun-coupler-0282760p.html

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

I danced around that one hidden grease fitting forever, I had slim couplings, 90 degrees, side fit 90 degrees, 360 swivels,needles, etc, etc. I bought every possible coupling fitting I could find locally. Nothing worked.

Here's the one that finally worked for me. It's a very cheap made in China 180 swivel, I had to disassemble it, and only used the swivel part on my grease gun, but very gratifying instant success.

I'm sure that your local Harbour Freight or similar store probably has something like this, fwiw fyi

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-180-degree-swivel-grease-gun-coupler-0282760p.html

Could you upload a photo of how the 180 swivel fits onto the front nipple?

21 minutes ago, cash1000 said:

Could you upload a photo of how the 180 swivel fits onto the front nipple?

I can't upload photos here and it's now taken apart and put away, sorry.

To get it to fit onto my grease gun, I unscrewed the coupling from the end of my grease gun leaving a npt ? male threaded end;

I then unscrewed the straight pipe/spring assembly npt? from the 180 swivel; the female npt? threaded swivel then screwed right onto my grease gun.

Does that make sense?

I needed to remove the little pipe (both ends were male threaded) so the female threaded swivel could easily attach to the grease gun male threaded end, that the original coupling had been attached to.

• Like 1