What size K&N Pods?

polebridge

If you want a pair I will give them to you with this disclaimer...........K&N is something I will never run on anything. The only thing they filter out is something larger than a small rock.........

The only thing they filter out is something larger than a small rock.........

I'm mildly curious what your notion of "small rock" grain size is and, whether you have some factual basis for this assertion. It seems fallacious IMHO.

edit:-

My 1100 sport i has K&N cylindrical filter elements of circa 50mm ID to suit TB inlet flange - seems to filter stuff like fine sand ~ 125µm, insect carapace and fall out from Eyjafjallajokull pretty well.

I don't care for them....... I have seen bad results with them in them in the automotive field. I know it is a free country and you can do what you want. I do not think you can properly clean them and re-oil them w/o impurities getting on the inside of the filter.

I don't care for them....... I have seen bad results with them in them in the automotive field. I know it is a free country and you can do what you want. I do not think you can properly clean them and re-oil them w/o impurities getting on the inside of the filter.

Could you share the bad results? Your argument is somewhat specious without data.

Arguement #1 applies to the automotive field . Arguement #2 involves any engine with an air filter.

My specious arguement. #1 when a K&N oil impregnated air filter is used where there ia a Mass Air Flow meter is in the air inlet ( between the said filter and throttle plate) an accumulation of oil will get deposited on the two resistors in the MAF meter. This in turn causes the dust that passes the air filter to get stuck on the resistors in the meter. This accumulation acts as an insulator and changes the ability to read the airflow properly. When this takes place the MAF sensor cannot properly cleaned or serviced. It requires replacement. All General Motors Corp. vehicles will void the warranty if a K&N air filter is used.

#2 I do not know what exact micron size a K&N filter will capture, so I cannot argue that point. I do know I do not think much of washing a filter ( and allowing the trapped dirt to then get on both sides of the filter) and putting oil back on (not an exact science), it then putting it back in service.When I rode dirt bikes, I decided it was best to just buy a new air filter, properly oil it, and install it rather than taking a chance on washing the filter .

I want to state this is MY personal opinion. I am not on this site to argue with anyone. I have dumbasses on iatn.net to do that with.

p.s. there is nothing wrong with properly washing and re-using a $10.00 condom either.

p.s. there is nothing wrong with properly washing and re-using a $10.00 condom either.

Neat analogy.

I suppose what you are trying to prevent would determine how deep the cleansing program.

Apols if my posts appear belligerent, I am genuinely interested in filtering and relative merits of different media and "larger than a small rock" was just a bit too er.. flippant for me. Have now searched the forum and seen your earlier postings the mention of K&N filters seems to hit a nerve so moving on....

Back to original posting by Pole bridge:

Can't find my original receipt but based my purchase on the surface area of original 'flat' filter ÷ 2, the TB inlet dia, the available length for clearance. Some do have moulded offset flanges. Mine are plain. Seems like you'll get them for free from gstallons anyway if I read his post right. ;-)

Just wondering, anyone who has been running pods for sometime, has anyone had a loss of compression?

Has anyone running pods had to rebuild the top ie. rings and jugs?

Better yet anyone who has had to rebuild the top due to lack of comperssion chime in and let us know if you are running stock or pods.

In the very short time I ran K&N pods, I could see a significantly worse air flow (up to 10% less fuel needed to reach same A/F) which should mean 10% less power. This is because the original filter box is tuned and the harmonics help the flow. I loved the sound and the looks though.