The Scura Topic

belfastguzzi

Now that Mo-biker has procured a new (to him) V11 Scura, there is opportunity and, no doubt, need

for new discussion and reminiscing on this most interesting of dark beasts.

I might even be inspired to dig mine out of its oily corner.

Let the praise, the poetry, the pain, the problem-solving commence.

3004597269_c0f2aedbcd_o.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mo-biker has spent the past week or so applying a thick coat of TLC to the somewhat unloved dark beastie. Wiring repairs, new battery, new wheel and steering bearings,Oil and fuel hoses, full grease-up brakes fully overhauled lumps of flesh applied to sharp edges and blood dripped onto just cleaned bits and a good few quid lighter.

Took it for a shake down yesterday just a few miles, still in overalls. All seemed ok.

Decided to ride it to work this morning only to find out......THIS MACHINE IS POSESSED BY THE DEVIL HIMSELF!

It may have a lovely slick gearbox but it can only be ridden at one speed, flat out! Every bend and roundabout must be attacked like it offended my Daughter and all vehicles on MY road must be overtaken regardles of how much room there is or isn't.

My grin is so wide my head is almost flipping over.

Are they all like this or should I break out the Holy Water now.

I wonder how long my license is going to last, and my life for that matter, cos on this mornings performance my guardian angels wings must be in tatters.

Happy me. :race:

• Like 1

Mo-biker has spent the past week or so applying a thick coat of TLC to the somewhat unloved dark beastie. Wiring repairs, new battery, new wheel and steering bearings,Oil and fuel hoses, full grease-up brakes fully overhauled lumps of flesh applied to sharp edges and blood dripped onto just cleaned bits and a good few quid lighter.

Took it for a shake down yesterday just a few miles, still in overalls. All seemed ok.

Decided to ride it to work this morning only to find out......THIS MACHINE IS POSESSED BY THE DEVIL HIMSELF!

It may have a lovely slick gearbox but it can only be ridden at one speed, flat out! Every bend and roundabout must be attacked like it offended my Daughter and all vehicles on MY road must be overtaken regardles of how much room there is or isn't.

My grin is so wide my head is almost flipping over.

Are they all like this or should I break out the Holy Water now.

I wonder how long my license is going to last, and my life for that matter, cos on this mornings performance my guardian angels wings must be in tatters.

Happy me. :race:

:D :D A proper affliction then!!

Wow – I'm bringing you my bike!

Prepare your spanners.

Hey: you realise the next move is to a Griso? 2008 vintage should be about right.

Then

you get to have an Aprilia.

Prepare your spanners.

Hey: you realise the next move is to a Griso? 2008 vintage should be about right.

Then

I went FROM a Griso TO my V11... and have had the Mille Factory since '05.. :rasta:

My V11 seems to be related to your Scura... :drink:

Prepare your spanners.

Then

I went FROM a Griso TO my V11... and have had the Mille Factory since '05.. :rasta:

My V11 seems to be related to your Scura... :drink:

rolleyes.gifanigrin.gif

Do you also find that when you read a magazine, you start at the back and work towards the front?

Be careful. Your next move may be to a Cali.

At least that would be geographically appropriate. Lucky that you don't live in Nevada.

I wonder why there has never been a Moto Guzzi Ulster? If it was good enough for Rudge...

Actually, Ulster would be a better name than stupid Griso, for this perversely troublesome yet strongly characterful minority cycle that goes its own way. Or I'd settle for compromise: the Moto Guzzi Davy Crockett.

Coonskin set covering. Get onto it, Piaggio.

I had my first proper pointless ride on the Scura today. About 200 miles of twisty smiles, one brief pitstop at a friends to pinch up the new head bearings where they had settled and a slight rattle had appeared, fixed in a tea break. Other than that a faultless run. Yeehar. Only two mentionables, can't get used to that clattering clutch and feels like my knees are up my nose after 2yrs on the Cali but no cramps for the ol' fella. Begodandbegorra this thing seems to lean forever, sort of, you fly through a series of beds or a roundabout faster than sensability tells you you should and you barely have to lean it, even when conditions and visibility are exellent and you stuff it into your favourite bends it just tracks true and grips like a jealous gorilla. I got home and expected to find shredded tyres (yeah right) and there are still huge chicken strips, I have to visit the man shop and get me some lean nuts before this bit of late summer passes :rolleyes:

By the way, I already have an aprilia. Futura RST1000 yes it was me who bought it.

Do tell Mr Belfast, what ailments have bedridden your Scura?

Dear ExCali Biker

I'm sure that I've told you at least, well, one time before: anyway, here goes again...

The timing case cracked [this hasn't happened to you yet]. It is weak where the front frame support bolts to the engine. If you lean the bike, the terrible stresses will inevitably lead to such a fracture. Be advised that you must keep this bike upright at all times. The best accessory that you can fit is a small spirit level, taped or cable-tied across the handlebars where it will be in view at all times and so enable the necessary uprightness.

Engine oil of course escapes through the timing chest crack. I tried many times to seal the crack with various epoxies, but I found it impossible to keep the oil in: there is too much movement at this location beside an engine mounting and a case joint. I could live with that oil leak, but when the Ohlins fork seals went (again) the great gush of fork oil onto brake callipers and pads put the bike off the road. There are various other deviations, such as a broken rear brake lever and spark plug (keep your bike upright, I urge you) and a melted rear brake calliper (plastic bit) [this hasn't happened to you, yet].

Due to these embarrassments, I engaged a finance company in the purchase of a shiny new motorcycle of the modern era. I can report that this may not have been the correct response, as further embarrassments followed, including most recently a non-appearance at the far end of Kerryland for a long talked about meeting of Irish cyclemen.

Ah a faint stirring in the grey matter, yes you did mention the crack and the fork seals. Now the crack, is this a V11 problem or a scura problem? nobody mentioned it before I bought the bike. And I don't like this 'it hasn't happend to you yet' tone of conversation, stoppit! youre upsetting me, my new sweetheart wouldn't do these things to me. As for melting caliper and broken brake lever, a more cynical person than I would suspect you of abuse. Fork seals, did I hear rubber grease (sounds fun) reduces the risk/frequency and land those wheelies gently young skywalker.

Could the crack be welded, I know its cast but there are some clever metal people out there.

Other than its inability to travel for long in a southerly direction do you find the Griso to be a much better bike, the tank is a tiddler isnt it?

I was in a bearing shop the other day and on the counter was a chemical weld stuff thingy, I had a glance at it out of boredom but didnt take in details. The guy behind the counter said it was new and reports were coming back that it was brilliant I think it cost about 25 yoyos. Will find out more if you want.

What may I ask is the general concensus on after market pipes for the Scura. Do they make a difference to the ride. It seems to run fine, tho tappets seem a bit quiet so I will check them in the week. It is a bit snatchy on off power at lower revs but that could be me (unthinkable)but I must admit I would like a bit more noise than the eurofart that it makes now, tho I also dont want a rolling earthquake.

Dont want much, do I :rolleyes: