The Scura Topic

belfastguzzi

So all I need to do now is measure the thickness of the seal, the size of the slider and the internal diameter of the part of the stancheon ? stantion? stanchion? last one looks best,that the seal sets into then wander around with that piece of paper in my pocket until I meet a clever person..........and I live in tipperary!!

Sailors have known this for eons.

BTW, Dynavector MC high output or Linn MM, or what?

I'm in a quandry.

I prefer MM, because it is simpler and is more 'universal', but a lot of purists say that MM is the better solution.

My MM sounds just fine.

As an aside, if you are into DIY, and don't mind soldering a board up, then try an Aikido. I haven't made the phono stage yet, but the preamp stage is unbelievably quiet with a huge dynamic range. I'm impressed.

I'm in the process of building my second phonograph...maybe I ought to put a MC cartridge on it and build a step-up stage. I dunno- I'm ready to be done with it- I just want something that will word perfectly forever ;).

Have an orange. That takes care of most of this scura-business

...then wander around with that piece of paper in my pocket until I meet a clever person..........and I live in tipperary!!

I suggest you write a catalogue your demands & send by carrier pigeon to the bike's previous owner, who is well known for his generous spirit & indulgent manner.

KB :sun:

This modded x Roper Scura is the fastest Guzzi I've ever ridden, including the 8 valve Grease 0. :grin::race::rasta:

P1030508.jpg

You look a little small for that bike Chuck. No wonder it seems so fast to you. Nice gloves ya got there too ;)

Any idea what's been done to it? Whatcha got for intake/exhaust setup? Stock ECU? PCIII?

IIRC Pete bought that from a former forum member who lived in New Hampshire. I forget his name but he had a Nicky Hayden cartoon for an avatar. I think Pete had it shipped to MPH for a clutch and flywheel replacement. I wonder if MPH did anything special with it?

This modded x Roper Scura is the fastest Guzzi I've ever ridden, including the 8 valve Grease 0. :grin::race::rasta:

P1030508.jpg

You look a little small for that bike Chuck. No wonder it seems so fast to you. Nice gloves ya got there too ;)

Any idea what's been done to it? Whatcha got for intake/exhaust setup? Stock ECU? PCIII?

IIRC Pete bought that from a former forum member who lived in New Hampshire. I forget his name but he had a Nicky Hayden cartoon for an avatar. I think Pete had it shipped to MPH for a clutch and flywheel replacement. I wonder if MPH did anything special with it?

No clue.. my normal mode of operation. It has a PCIII, BMC filter, x over and staintunes. It "sounds" like it has a cam. It'll do power wheelies. :thumbsup: Tons of grunt. MPH did a lot of work to it, but no performance mods. Mike said Pete had better watch it, and sure enough, he binned it on the way to California. :grin::homer: At any rate, it's more fun than a guy should be allowed to have.

No clue.. my normal mode of operation. It has a PCIII, BMC filter, x over and staintunes. It "sounds" like it has a cam. It'll do power wheelies. :thumbsup: Tons of grunt. MPH did a lot of work to it, but no performance mods. Mike said Pete had better watch it, and sure enough, he binned it on the way to California. :grin::homer: At any rate, it's more fun than a guy should be allowed to have.

Hey Chuck,

I remembered the guy who I think Pete bought the Scura from; soloNH. He seemed like a great guy when he was here years ago. I did a quick search on his old posts and came up with this nugget for you frome here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5422&st=0&p=54621&fromsearch=1entry54621

"the previous owner said that Mike Rich had done stage II flow work on the heads along with titanium lifters, new valves and guides. He also added a Power commander with custom mapping."

Now you know why your Scura goes like stink. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

mo-biker, I have a 2002, bought it in 2004 with a couple of thousand miles on it. now i have 35+....All i do is change the oil (engine oil, not fork oil) and have gone through a shit load of tires. I once got on it and accompanied by daughter on her S4RS trip from Florida to California and back. That was 5300 miles or so. A couple of years before that, when she had a 750 monster, we went from the key west in florida to rivier du loop in canada and back (in the snow and rain). I also once test drove the soul-less griso (ok, it was the early model so i could be surprised about later attempts). I posted my thoughts back then.

When I first got the bike, the posts were rampant about gear boxes blowing up (nice pictures were posted of pieces all over an australian hiway). I lost lots of sleep over this and probably shortened my life span by 1.32 years...but i lived through it and learned to just ride (with a similar grin you had, I'm sure). Like Adam Cramer from Liberty Vintage says.."I will never sell these motorcycles, unless my wife tells me to""until then its hard fought".

Ride on...

mo-biker, I have a 2002, bought it in 2004 with a couple of thousand miles on it. now i have 35+....All i do is change the oil (engine oil, not fork oil) and have gone through a shit load of tires. I once got on it and accompanied by daughter on her S4RS trip from Florida to California and back. That was 5300 miles or so. A couple of years before that, when she had a 750 monster, we went from the key west in florida to rivier du loop in canada and back (in the snow and rain). I also once test drove the soul-less griso (ok, it was the early model so i could be surprised about later attempts). I posted my thoughts back then.

When I first got the bike, the posts were rampant about gear boxes blowing up (nice pictures were posted of pieces all over an australian hiway). I lost lots of sleep over this and probably shortened my life span by 1.32 years...but i lived through it and learned to just ride (with a similar grin you had, I'm sure). Like Adam Cramer from Liberty Vintage says.."I will never sell these motorcycles, unless my wife tells me to""until then its hard fought".

Ride on...

Ahh, a kindered spirit. Thats whats needed in this world, positive waves :thumbsup:

Hey Chuck,

I remembered the guy who I think Pete bought the Scura from; soloNH. He seemed like a great guy when he was here years ago. I did a quick search on his old posts and came up with this nugget for you frome here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5422&st=0&p=54621&fromsearch=1entry54621

"the previous owner said that Mike Rich had done stage II flow work on the heads along with titanium lifters, new valves and guides. He also added a Power commander with custom mapping."

Now you know why your Scura goes like stink. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that, Tom!! Everyone that has ridden it wonders what has been done to it. That certainly helps fill in the blanks. :thumbsup: All I've been able to say is, "Whatever it was, I recommend it." :grin::wub:

Sailors have known this for eons.

BTW, Dynavector MC high output or Linn MM, or what?

I'm in a quandry.

I prefer MM, because it is simpler and is more 'universal', but a lot of purists say that MM is the better solution.

My MM sounds just fine.

As an aside....

Have an orange. That takes care of most of this scura-business

Got a Linn Adikt MM, though was tempted by Dynavector MC (Hi output) and then an even more expensive, next one up, DV.

I'm just realising that I must have been subconsciously influenced by the Adikt being – – BLACK

Funny enough, the old K9 that it replaces was a kind of orange.

So all I need to do now is measure the thickness of the seal

........and I live in tipperary!!

It's a pity that all the seal jokes have been done to death before.