Tenni #9

robert7571

• 5 years later...

You can tell by pulling the "timing inspection" plug and having a look up her skirt.  :o  :rasta: I don't have the pix right now, but an internet search should show the difference.

Congrats on having one of the prettiest Guzzis built, and welcome to the best forum in the world on them.

You can tell by pulling the "timing inspection" plug and having a look up her skirt. :o:rasta: I don't have the pix right now, but an internet search should show the difference.

Congrats on having one of the prettiest Guzzis built, and welcome to the best forum in the world on them.

You can tell by the rattle! One type rattles with the clutch pulled in. One rattles with the clutch released. Just can't remember which is which. Scud will know. There's a thread somewhere commenting on just this.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Great bike.

If you pull the clutch in with engine idling, and it gets quieter, you have a single-plate clutch. Most likely that means you have an original clutch and flywheel. Remember, the clutch itself is not the problem; the original aluminum flywheel is the problem.

If you pull the clutch in with engine idling and it gets noisier, you have a standard, twin-plate clutch like most V11s. The noise is caused by the pressure plate backing off and allowing the many parts to rattle around inside the flywheel. 

I am not sure what causes the noise at idle on the single plate. But we do know it's a risk factor. It's a relatively low probability that your aluminum flywheel will explode, but the consequences are potentially very bad. There's lots of information and speculation about the single plate clutch/flywheel. 

Now if you're wondering if the bike was updated with a Ram single plate clutch and steel (not aluminum) flywheel, you'd need to get a magnet on the flywheel. I think this could be done with some sort of magnet on a flexible stick. You could try through the timing hole... but it might require removing the starter to get access. Also, the aluminum flywheel is round, while the Ram steel flywheel has three arms.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses.

Its single plate -  based on the rattle in neutral - clutch out.
I have been told by Mario at Thunder Bikes the noise on the single plate is actually from the gear box - probably doesn't matter its just Guzzi normal!

As Scud suggested I was hoping to find some way of establishing if the flywheel has been updated.
The idea for testing if its a steel RAM flywheel with a magnet or visually seeing the shape sounds the best starting point.

My Tenni has 39,000 Km on it and the clutch performs without any signs of wear , vibration or noises so I expect it is fine.

However at the Phillip Island Classic a couple of weeks ago I met the original owner of Tenni #4 and his flywheel started make noises and jamming in gear at 20,000km so the panics have set in. (His flywheel had radial cracking).

About to set off on the Victorian Moto Guzzi Club tour of Tasmania - 2500 km of tight twisting tarmac and some dirt in a week. 
Tenni heaven. :grin: 

• Like 1

I think Scud, or *maybe* footgoose,  should give us a side-by-side video tutorial on this rattle business . .  .  I'll pin it somewhere and we'll have a time with it! :grin:

I think Scud, or *maybe* footgoose,  should give us a side-by-side video tutorial on this rattle business . .  .  I'll pin it somewhere and we'll have a time with it! :grin:

That could be a worthy project. Meanwhile Robert needs to pack a little bottle Love Potion Tenni #9 for the Tazzy Trip. Watch the wallabies.